Shizuka Arakawa's triple-triple(-triples) NEW VIDEO | Golden Skate

Shizuka Arakawa's triple-triple(-triples) NEW VIDEO

Bartek

On the Ice
This is the new version of my video with Shizuka's triple-triple(-triple) combinations.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh5jVTphM3I

I love how it goes from simple triple 3T-3T to 3S-3T-3Lo. Even though many of them are underrotated the video shows how superior Shizuka was technically.

The Shizuka video is my favorite of your videos because of the variety of her jumps and her combination of elegance and athleticism. I'm thrilled to see it again. As for underrotation, phooey! People aren't machines, and a bit of underrotation amid such strength doesn't seem so dire to me.

deedee1

Record Breaker
www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh5jVTphM3I

I love how it goes from simple triple 3T-3T to 3S-3T-3Lo. Even though many of them are underrotated the video shows how superior Shizuka was technically.

:cool:

At Torino in 2006, Shizuka literally psyched out everyone, Irina and Sasha included, during official practices with her strong jump combos here, there and everywhere before actual competitions got started, I heard.

Hanaka

Rinkside
:cool:

At Torino in 2006, Shizuka literally psyched out everyone, Irina and Sasha included, during official practices with her strong jump combos here, there and everywhere before actual competitions got started, I heard.

Yeah, I heard she received SO from Torino audience during practices. Not only the jumps, but also her performances thrilled and excited the crowd.

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan
I love your videos, Bartek! Thank you!
Shizuka's BEST 3-3 was the 2003 Skate Canada free skate 3lutz/3toe under Richard Callaghan! Beautiful!!
I forgot that she did 3lutz/3loop in the Olympics practice as well?

Bartek, you seem to have ALL videos of competitions that Shizuka ever entered!
if you could upload 2005 Japan Super Challenge with her gorgeous and loooong spiral sequence, that'd be fantastic!

Bartek

On the Ice
I love your videos, Bartek! Thank you!
Shizuka's BEST 3-3 was the 2003 Skate Canada free skate 3lutz/3toe under Richard Callaghan! Beautiful!!
I forgot that she did 3lutz/3loop in the Olympics practice as well?

Bartek, you seem to have ALL videos of competitions that Shizuka ever entered!
if you could upload 2005 Japan Super Challenge with her gorgeous and loooong spiral sequence, that'd be fantastic!

Haha, no I don't have ALL of her performances. I wish I had them all.

Japan International Challenge 2005, here it comes: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4MkvOMKKME

I think this is the debut of her Fantasy Impromptu program? Or was it at Campbell's? Could anyone knowledgeable enough explain to me why her sprial sequence got only level two? It seems to me that she included lots of features for levels. Maybe the positions weren't hold long enough.

Look at the opening triple-triple combination. Even though it's half a turn short on the toeloop she has amazing floooooowing edge out of it. Usually when a skater has such underrotation it causes some problems and brings about losing the flow.

Nice video but can she do them in 2012? That's the big question.

I don't see how that's the question. Time passes, and she's no longer competing. Six years ago, she was one of the oldest ladies' OGM winners ever, if not the oldest, and she was doing triple-triples then (in practices though not in the actual competition). I think that's plenty impressive.

After all, Midori Ito probably can't still do a triple axel today...but the ones she did do in 1990 won't ever go away.

Well, I didn't appreciate Shizuka in her competing days but when it comes to her professional performances, there's no doubt that she had much matured with understanding of "performing." No wonder Lambiel lists her as one of her favorite female skater.

Bartek

On the Ice
Well, I didn't appreciate Shizuka in her competing days but when it comes to her professional performances, there's no doubt that she had much matured with understanding of "performing." No wonder Lambiel lists her as one of her favorite female skater.

And besides her performance skills in her exhibitions, the technical content is amazing. Most of the stuff she does there is very CoP-like. In my video you can see her doing triple-triples out of difficult transitions in her professional career. I don't think there is any other lady skating in exhibitions who does as difficult things as Shizuka does. E.g. her spins in exhibitions look like they are made for CoP, she still does change of edges and various difficult variations: donut, biellman and I-spin most often. In my video you can see 3T-3T done immediately after back biellman spiral and also 3T-3T-2Lo right after her exquisite ina bauer as if she wanted to get more GoE for difficult entrance. What's more, the latter was landed just one year ago (Prince Ice World 2011) what indicates she still might be able to nail them.

Last edited:
The perfect response, Bartek. It's great to know that she retains her technical prowess. Thanks for the details about it. I'm also pleased to hear from L'etoile that she's one of Lambiel's favorite female skaters. Don't the two of them skate gorgeously together?

^^ They did in Thin Ice which was aired around fall in 2009. They sure had some interesting programs there!

deedee1

Record Breaker

Reliable sources and rumors around deedee ;) say that Shizuka of today still practices harder jumps such as 3Lz! and/or 3-3 combos and solidly lands them during her usual *midnight* sessions at her home rink. :biggrin:

If she is to be added to the Medal Winners Open as rumored and we are fortunate enough, we will be able to see her go for 3T-3T or even 3S-3T-2L. Till then hold your judgements please, you guys. :cool:

Reliable sources and rumors around deedee ;) say that Shizuka of today still practices harder jumps such as 3Lz! and/or 3-3 combos and solidly lands them during her usual *midnight* sessions at her home rink. :biggrin:

If she is to be added to the Medal Winners Open as rumored and we are fortunate enough, we will be able to see her go for 3T-3T or even 3S-3T-2L. Till then hold your judgements please, you guys. :cool:

This woman is definitely a Wonder Woman of skating. Even without the OGM, she'd be on my list of top forever skaters. She's just fabulous to watch.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Shizuka is to die for. Yugao, if spelled correctly, is an incredible exhibition piece. Sasha never jumps and she has gained much weight. It seems she is phoning in performances now as she dreams of being a hedge fund manager. I think Shizuka truly loves her art/sport. She is an amazing champion-I wish she had been at the top longer-she really did it in two years. Of course she was skating in Japan's deep field, is it not amazing what she does with those 3x3x3's? Underrotation a bit? Who cares!

hikki

Final Flight
Country
Japan

Well she did have a rather nice 3lutz/3loop less than 2 years ago. Not bad for a has been, don't you think? :p

Haha, no I don't have ALL of her performances. I wish I had them all.

Japan International Challenge 2005, here it comes: www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4MkvOMKKME

I think this is the debut of her Fantasy Impromptu program? Or was it at Campbell's? Could anyone knowledgeable enough explain to me why her sprial sequence got only level two? It seems to me that she included lots of features for levels. Maybe the positions weren't hold long enough.

Look at the opening triple-triple combination. Even though it's half a turn short on the toeloop she has amazing floooooowing edge out of it. Usually when a skater has such underrotation it causes some problems and brings about losing the flow.

Thanks so much for the video of Japan International Challenge, Bartek!!! This has been missing from my Shizuka collection so I'm really happy to be able to watch it again. :)

Re: spiral I think it was something about her having too many strokes in between, thus not counting as a complete sequence? I still remember getting gobsmacked when she debuted her Y spiral at Nationals later that season!