Parabolic Blades | Golden Skate

Parabolic Blades

megsk8z

On the Ice
I've heard the hype about them and was wondering if anyone has actually tried these things. I just switched this year to Phantom K-Picks (you guys are right....the K is definitely the Way!) from Phantoms, so I'm not looking for another change. But I was still curious about these things.
Does anyone skate on them that could tell us about them? No special Parabolic, just the blade in general. And if they do, how do they sharp up in a regular skate sharpening machine?
Thanks!

ps I love reading about your wonderful/awful lessons and skating experiences for the week. Makes me think I'm not alone.

CassidyL

Rinkside
I would love to hear from anyone who has these too. Hopefully before the end of January, when I'm scheduled for new blades! I am thinking about it. I'd need the pattern 99 ones so please, please someone post one this. :)

And if they do, how do they sharp up in a regular skate sharpening machine?

Meg, do you put your blades in a machine, instead of having someone sharpen them by hand? :eek: Does anyone else here do that?

megsk8z

On the Ice
Oh, no I don't put them in a machine like one of those "auto-sharp" machines, (yikes!) but I am thinking more in terms of using the regular machine and getting the angles right. If the blade is tapered in the middle, then how is the allowance made for that on the regular machine by someone that knows what they're doing?

I still happily let someone else sharp my skates by hand on a normal skate sharpening machine, but was wondering about the angle of the stone versus the taper of the Parabloic blade, or if any allowance had to be made because of that.

choreo123

Spectator
Parabolic blades!

The physics don't cut it.

Why on earth would you want the curve of your edge adding friction in the direction of edge flow. Not to mention the sharpening issues. Alexi Jukov in fairfax is trying the parabolic gold seal out, I'll let you know his feedback.

CC::p