Comebacks: Ando, Kim, Plushenko, Weir, etc. | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Comebacks: Ando, Kim, Plushenko, Weir, etc.

mskater93

Record Breaker
It really just depends on what has happened and how much time has elapsed. Ando really only took one season off. Liukin was trying to comeback as of November of last year after 3.5 years off. Evans was off for quite awhile as well.

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
It really just depends on what has happened and how much time has elapsed. Ando really only took one season off. Liukin was trying to comeback as of November of last year after 3.5 years off. Evans was off for quite awhile as well.

Agreed, mskater93- Janet was off 14 years before she even came back to Master's swimming (which is similar to the USFS Adult track).

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What all these comebacks show is that even someone like Yuna who is in her prime years cannot just come back without at a couple competitions to get back into fighting shape.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Come-backs sound glamorous but when it really has to happen few can do it in any sport. Nastia Lyukin was painful to watch. Janet Evans an amazing effort but not to be. An ex-Olympian always has that competitive fire, but time marches on.

Shen and Zhao did it after taking a few years off. Gordeeva and Grinkov, too. If we're going to cite current examples on other sports, why not Serena Williams? She took a year off due to various injuries and health problems (as well as depression, according to herself), and now she's worked her way back to two Wimbledon titles (one with her sister) over the weekend, and is a favorite for Olympic gold.

Nastia Liukin, by all accounts, was very under-prepared, and maybe she just lost her mojo. This sort of comeback isn't possible for everyone. It didn't happen for Nastia, but that doesn't mean it won't work out for Miki/Yuna/Johnny/Evgeny.

What all these comebacks show is that even someone like Yuna who is in her prime years cannot just come back without at a couple competitions to get back into fighting shape.

Plushenko took years off, came back last season for just two competitions, and won them both handily. Plushenko trained intensely behind the scenes, and was in fighting shape before he stepped back onto competition ice. Yuna could do the same. Of course, a few competitions would help any comeback skaters tweak their programs under the IJS, as well as get their minds back in the game. With Plushenko's health problems, though, it's understandable that he kept the competitions to a minimum. But I think all these skating veterans have a pretty good idea how to handle their bodies and how to gauge what they can and cannot do at this point. I won't hate on them for skipping the GP series.

Yes, and though Dara Torres didn't make it onto the Olympic swim team this year at 45 or whatever, she did make it onto the Beijing team four years ago, at 41, after years away from the sport, and she won a few medals. Not everyone makes it back, but some do, and the trick is that you don't know which ones do. Most athletes have the determination and the confidence to assume that they will be among the ones who do.

Oh, and I have another one: Evonne Goolagong, one of my favorite tennis players ever. She won Wimbledon as a nineteen-year-old prodigy, had a good career, and then had one or two children. Then she came back and won again at I think thirty. Having had children. Good luck to all the comeback skaters!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Shen and Zhao did it after taking a few years off. Gordeeva and Grinkov, too. If we're going to cite current examples on other sports, why not Serena Williams? She took a year off due to various injuries and health problems (as well as depression, according to herself), and now she's worked her way back to two Wimbledon titles (one with her sister) over the weekend, and is a favorite for Olympic gold.

Nastia Liukin, by all accounts, was very under-prepared, and maybe she just lost her mojo. This sort of comeback isn't possible for everyone. It didn't happen for Nastia, but that doesn't mean it won't work out for Miki/Yuna/Johnny/Evgeny.

Plushenko took years off, came back last season for just two competitions, and won them both handily. Plushenko trained intensely behind the scenes, and was in fighting shape before he stepped back onto competition ice. Yuna could do the same. Of course, a few competitions would help any comeback skaters tweak their programs under the IJS, as well as get their minds back in the game. With Plushenko's health problems, though, it's understandable that he kept the competitions to a minimum. But I think all these skating veterans have a pretty good idea how to handle their bodies and how to gauge what they can and cannot do at this point. I won't hate on them for skipping the GP series.

But those competitions were not at Worlds. He had next to no competition at the Russian Championships and didn't have to face Chan or the Japanese at Worlds.

Last edited:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
But those competitions were not at Worlds. He had next to no competition at the Russian Championships and didn't have to face Chan or the Japanese at Worlds.
His Euros score was third on the SB list, and at the time of Worlds was second; his total from Sheffield would have beaten Dai and Hanyu at Worlds. I imagine with some love from the judges, he might have even won in Nice. And just for fun: there is only one active skater who has beaten Plushenko, and it's not Patrick Chan.

I liked how Shen and Zhao handled their Olympic year comeback - no talk, no fuss, no endless speculation. Their names just showed up in the GP assignments in 2009, and then they came into the season fit and well-prepared.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
His Euros score was third on the SB list, and at the time of Worlds was second; his total from Sheffield would have beaten Dai and Hanyu at Worlds. I imagine with some love from the judges, he might have even won in Nice. And just for fun: there is only one active skater who has beaten Plushenko, and it's not Patrick Chan.

I liked how Shen and Zhao handled their Olympic year comeback - no talk, no fuss, no endless speculation. Their names just showed up in the GP assignments in 2009, and then they came into the season fit and well-prepared.

Yes, only one who has beaten Plush, and only one time. Brian Joubert in 2004 European Championships. That was a tragedy for me. :)

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland

Plushenko has been lucky as he has competed against more or less inconsistent skaters in recent years. His scores have been very high, especially his reputation PCS.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
And just for fun: there is only one active skater who has beaten Plushenko, and it's not Patrick Chan.

Well, he has not been an active competitor himself the last two years and has not given Patrick Chan or anybody else outside Russia and Europe a chance.

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Yes, only one who has beaten Plush, and only one time. Brian Joubert in 2004 European Championships. That was a tragedy for me. :)
I enjoyed it ;)

I believe it was the ISU that did not give Plushenko a chance to compete for one of the past two seasons. Considering that he is pretty much held up with tape and string at this point, I won't hold his selective participation in events against him. But maybe he'll surprise us and claim the open host slot for Rostel - it could be quite instructive to see two great skaters face off (and two equally great politikking federations, too).

Jaana, luck has nothing to do with it; Plushenko is simply a tremendous competitor, and has excellent Mishin-taught jump technique. Which is why he's hard to beat even when off-form and struggling with injuries. And are you really suggesting that he is the only top skater who gets a reputation bonus, and none of your favorites ever do? That's either naive or disingenuous.

Yeah. I wish S/Z could come back again, don't you?
Actually, no. Shen and Zhao got their career achievement award in Vancouver, and I didn't enjoy them as much once they were Nicholized. I liked them better when they were a bit rougher around the edges. So I'm good with them staying retired; I just respect the way the went about their comeback.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Plushenko has been lucky as he has competed against more or less inconsistent skaters in recent years. His scores have been very high, especially his reputation PCS.

Reputation mark comes for a reason. How lucky must he have been the last 14 years?
With bonus marks and all, he killed the Lp at euros this year anyway.

Well, he has not been an active competitor himself the last two years and has not given Patrick Chan or anybody else outside Russia and Europe a chance.

He went to COR in 2009. Patrick didnt. Kozuka was there. He also competed in the Olympics :)
Plush vs Hanyu is the most I m waiting next season. If Hanyu beats him, I m looking forward to both their reaction.:hb:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
SkateFiguring said:

He went to COR in 2009. Patrick didnt. Kozuka was there. He also competed in the Olympics :)

I checked and 2009 and 2010 Olympics are not within the last two years.

seniorita

Record Breaker
^ sorry I thought you meant in general. For one season post Vancouver he was uneligible, not that he would compete anyway. And last season he was not like in a condition to compete full season. In any case he is in a different carreer point than the ones you mentioned. I believe Yuna will have few competitions too till Sochi.

I enjoyed it ;)

I believe it was the ISU that did not give Plushenko a chance to compete for one of the past two seasons. Considering that he is pretty much held up with tape and string at this point, I won't hold his selective participation in events against him.

Fingers crossed he looks totally healthy now, knee surgery and all. He does a tone of off ice condition these days. But yes, I believe they have a selective competition plan till 2014. I dont think he cares to add more GP experience, and my guess is he wont go to Euros this year. His goal is Sochi. But who knows..

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Plush vs Hanyu is the most I m waiting next season. If Hanyu beats him, I m looking forward to both their reaction.:hb:

:laugh:

Plushy: ><

Hanyu: ^^

Fans: @@

Agents: $$

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
FWIW, my psychic source says Plushenko will go to Sochi Olympics but the medalists will be Chan, Kozuka, and Gachinski. Takahashi and Abbott, who will win 2013 Worlds Silver, will retire and not go to Sochi. Kozuka is back up on top after the disappointing past season.

Take it with your salt but please don't kill the messenger.

Last edited:

yaya124

On the Ice
Fingers crossed he looks totally healthy now, knee surgery and all. He does a tone of off ice condition these days. But yes, I believe they have a selective competition plan till 2014. I dont think he cares to add more GP experience, and my guess is he wont go to Euros this year. His goal is Sochi. But who knows..
Oh no, I plan to go to EC since WORLD is out of question for me. But of course his health is the most important thing he should take care of first.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
I enjoyed it ;)

I believe it was the ISU that did not give Plushenko a chance to compete for one of the past two seasons. Considering that he is pretty much held up with tape and string at this point, I won't hold his selective participation in events against him. But maybe he'll surprise us and claim the open host slot for Rostel - it could be quite instructive to see two great skaters face off (and two equally great politikking federations, too).

Jaana, luck has nothing to do with it; Plushenko is simply a tremendous competitor, and has excellent Mishin-taught jump technique. Which is why he's hard to beat even when off-form and struggling with injuries. And are you really suggesting that he is the only top skater who gets a reputation bonus, and none of your favorites ever do? That's either naive or disingenuous.

Actually, no. Shen and Zhao got their career achievement award in Vancouver, and I didn't enjoy them as much once they were Nicholized. I liked them better when they were a bit rougher around the edges. So I'm good with them staying retired; I just respect the way the went about their comeback.

If you enjoyed :) look at this. Sad, it's german documentary, but very interesting, we can see the events of backstage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2841lVtRMQ&feature=plcp