Comebacks: Ando, Kim, Plushenko, Weir, etc. | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Comebacks: Ando, Kim, Plushenko, Weir, etc.

Regardless of Weir's comeback on the ice, he apparently has other ambitions too ...

Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir
I'd like to run for president someday. Or perhaps mayor. #Ponder
12:25 PM - 25 Aug 12​

Mayor isn't a general office. Does he have a particular city in mind?

Regardless of Weir's comeback on the ice, he apparently has other ambitions too ...

I'd like to run for president someday. Or perhaps mayor. #Ponder
12:25 PM - 25 Aug 12​

Wow, he just keeps searching for the challenges! Good for him:clap:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Doesn't Johnny live in NYC, at least some of the time?

He wouldn't be the first ex skating mayor.

Consider Wayne Seybold of Marion, Indiana. ;)

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
He has said in the past that he might want to be a diplomat. With his languages, that might be a good fit. He is so witty and interesting that he should stay in the public arena somehow. Or, the next Dick Button?

janetfan

Match Penalty
He has said in the past that he might want to be a diplomat. With his languages, that might be a good fit. He is so witty and interesting that he should stay in the public arena somehow. Or, the next Dick Button?

If Shirley Temple could serve as US ambassador to the Czech Republic then there must a country that would be good for Johnny.

Lower Slobbovia might be a good fit. ;)

As to being the next Dick Button - his likes will not be seen again - on the ice or in the broadcasting booth.

Lower Slobbovia...ouch!

I'm glad you brought up Shirley Temple, janetfan. I admire her very much. She was an excellent ambassador for what was then Czechoslovakia. She was our ambassador during their Velvet Revolution, which overthrew the Communist government; she was able to extend our support to Vaclav Havel. At that point she had worked in diplomacy for some time. I think she had been posted to Ghana previously and was also an official of protocol for the Ford administration. No offense to Weir, but he'll have to climb a ways before he stands on her level.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Johnny would be good ambassador to Russia. Johnny loves Russia, Russia loves Johnny. He is very popular in Russia, despite the fact, in Russia don't tolerates the gays so much. Johnny said, if he sits in the taxi, the taxi driver knows exactly who is he.

willywonka

Rinkside
Evgeni Plushenko, the Tsar of Russia, and Johnny Weir the President of the U.S.a. What perfect match for these two skating greats.:biggrin:

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Evgeni Plushenko, the Tsar of Russia, and Johnny Weir the President of the U.S.a. What perfect match for these two skating greats.:biggrin:

Greats?! Plushenko could be crowned "Greats". Johnny needs something more extraordinary to be called like that.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Mayor isn't a general office. Does he have a particular city in mind?

I assume NY since he lives there. Interesting. Sometimes I just do not know whether to take him seriously. Originality and creativity is one thing but I hope he does not wear a corset with a dead bird on his hand - of course if he is running in NY who knows - if he can make it there he can make it anywhere - its up to Johnny Weir!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

sorry for my sarcasm, but I am not sure that is a good thing (LOL)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

Plush and Johnny are really good friends, so the two countries could develop friendships and build peace in the world! :biggrin: Using the skating solved the world's problems.:laugh: It's one part of very interesting interview with Johnny, why he loves Russia so much. Johnny is cute!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uebjP7tOc8M

just remembered:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZhA4_RYe3s
Plushy and Johnny for their fans

Last edited:

Kitt

Final Flight
Country
United-States
sorry for my sarcasm, but I am not sure that is a good thing (LOL)

Didn't you hear Johnny do commentary for Ice Network last year? He was pretty darn insightful. That's what I meant by succeeding DButton; I don't expect him to be 2-time Oly Gold Medalist!

Yes, sometimes the best announcers are not necessarily the ones with the most medals. The two skills are different and don't always intersect in the same person.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
He has said in the past that he might want to be a diplomat. With his languages, that might be a good fit. He is so witty and interesting that he should stay in the public arena somehow. ...

I assume NY since he lives there. Interesting. Sometimes I just do not know whether to take him seriously. Originality and creativity is one thing but I hope he does not wear a corset with a dead bird on his hand - of course if he is running in NY who knows - if he can make it there he can make it anywhere - its up to Johnny Weir!

Not surprisingly, Johnny Weir-Voronov ‏@JohnnyGWeir continues to show his many sides:

" I'm so proud to be in Japan to represent my country and spread goodwill through sport! http://instagr.am/p/O09CKnhhbY/ "
3:01 AM - 27 Aug 12​

" I can't wait until @Vitya_Zvesda, Тёма and I live in Tokyo one day. Japan makes me so happy! "
5:29 PM - 27 Aug 12​

It seems that as part of a US Embassy program, Weir will teach a seminar on "expression on ice" with Miki Ando tomorrow in Fukuoka. An officer from the US Embassy will travel with Weir and his manager from Tokyo to Fukuoka.

Regarding the question of whether to take Weir seriously (as a future diplomat and/or elected official) ...:

" Trying to figure out 'which' pink animé outfit to wear to meet US consulate principal officer tomorrow. Which pink? Really Johnny? @cmbenz "
7:54 AM - 28 Aug 12​

ETA:

Photo showing Weir and Ando with top Japanese regional skaters. http://twitter.com/ShannonSk8s/status/240666751132631040/photo/1
Photo showing Ando, the US diplomat and his wife -- plus Weir in the outfit he chose. http://twitter.com/ShannonSk8s/status/240816252426276865/photo/1

Last edited:

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Evan in latest IFS magazine about his comeback (to FC and to his family): “I explained to them where I was coming from, but it took little convincing to make everyone believe that I was doing it for the right reasons”. I said, “Hey, look you guys, I am not doing this because I have to win again, or because I want more titles. I am not doing this because I have nothing else to do with my life. I am doing it for the most pure reason. I love skating and I am really fortunate that I can still do it.”

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I have not found any entry lists for Finlandia yet, but is Weir's tweet suggesting that he will compete there?

Pack your bags! We're going to Finland in October! Goodnight from Fukuoka. Tomorrow Fukui! So excited to see Boginya Anissina!
6:40 AM - 29 Aug 12​

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Evan in latest IFS magazine about his comeback (to FC and to his family): “I explained to them where I was coming from, but it took little convincing to make everyone believe that I was doing it for the right reasons”. I said, “Hey, look you guys, I am not doing this because I have to win again, or because I want more titles. I am not doing this because I have nothing else to do with my life. I am doing it for the most pure reason. I love skating and I am really fortunate that I can still do it.”

:clap: good for him!