Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Comebacks: Ando, Kim, Plushenko, Weir, etc.

Miki's tweets are very disturbingly sad. I hope she actually seeks out for help and get her mind/heart set before the serious training starts.

Custom Title
    I just noticed that Miki has even changed her profile pic to a darkness. I wonder why is she trying to come back then? Is her federation or someone forcing her?

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    What is her twitter handle?
    Ando is @181712

Although she does not have one of Twitter's officially verified accounts, I feel quite sure that it is really hers. @181712 tweets back and forth with other well-known skaters all the time.

ETA:
    Oops, I see now that glam already answered your question above. Thanks for your posts, glam.
    Last edited by golden411; 07-06-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Custom Title
    I feel with Ando's lack of real enthusiasm she could flop at her GP events. Something like last season Fumie Sugari. Sugari wanted to skate but no longer had the technical ability. Ando may have the technical potential but is so lacking enthusiasm she could do just doubles or fall on triples and not be herself.

Rinkside
    Come-backs sound glamorous but when it really has to happen few can do it in any sport. Nastia Lyukin was painful to watch. Janet Evans an amazing effort but not to be. An ex-Olympian always has that competitive fire, but time marches on.

It really just depends on what has happened and how much time has elapsed. Ando really only took one season off. Liukin was trying to comeback as of November of last year after 3.5 years off. Evans was off for quite awhile as well.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mskater93 View Post
    It really just depends on what has happened and how much time has elapsed. Ando really only took one season off. Liukin was trying to comeback as of November of last year after 3.5 years off. Evans was off for quite awhile as well.
    Agreed, mskater93- Janet was off 14 years before she even came back to Master's swimming (which is similar to the USFS Adult track).

Custom Title
    What all these comebacks show is that even someone like Yuna who is in her prime years cannot just come back without at a couple competitions to get back into fighting shape.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by used2skate View Post
    Come-backs sound glamorous but when it really has to happen few can do it in any sport. Nastia Lyukin was painful to watch. Janet Evans an amazing effort but not to be. An ex-Olympian always has that competitive fire, but time marches on.
    Shen and Zhao did it after taking a few years off. Gordeeva and Grinkov, too. If we're going to cite current examples on other sports, why not Serena Williams? She took a year off due to various injuries and health problems (as well as depression, according to herself), and now she's worked her way back to two Wimbledon titles (one with her sister) over the weekend, and is a favorite for Olympic gold.

Nastia Liukin, by all accounts, was very under-prepared, and maybe she just lost her mojo. This sort of comeback isn't possible for everyone. It didn't happen for Nastia, but that doesn't mean it won't work out for Miki/Yuna/Johnny/Evgeny.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    What all these comebacks show is that even someone like Yuna who is in her prime years cannot just come back without at a couple competitions to get back into fighting shape.
    Plushenko took years off, came back last season for just two competitions, and won them both handily. Plushenko trained intensely behind the scenes, and was in fighting shape before he stepped back onto competition ice. Yuna could do the same. Of course, a few competitions would help any comeback skaters tweak their programs under the IJS, as well as get their minds back in the game. With Plushenko's health problems, though, it's understandable that he kept the competitions to a minimum. But I think all these skating veterans have a pretty good idea how to handle their bodies and how to gauge what they can and cannot do at this point. I won't hate on them for skipping the GP series.

Custom Title
    Yes, and though Dara Torres didn't make it onto the Olympic swim team this year at 45 or whatever, she did make it onto the Beijing team four years ago, at 41, after years away from the sport, and she won a few medals. Not everyone makes it back, but some do, and the trick is that you don't know which ones do. Most athletes have the determination and the confidence to assume that they will be among the ones who do.

Oh, and I have another one: Evonne Goolagong, one of my favorite tennis players ever. She won Wimbledon as a nineteen-year-old prodigy, had a good career, and then had one or two children. Then she came back and won again at I think thirty. Having had children. Good luck to all the comeback skaters!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Shen and Zhao did it after taking a few years off. Gordeeva and Grinkov, too. If we're going to cite current examples on other sports, why not Serena Williams? She took a year off due to various injuries and health problems (as well as depression, according to herself), and now she's worked her way back to two Wimbledon titles (one with her sister) over the weekend, and is a favorite for Olympic gold.

Nastia Liukin, by all accounts, was very under-prepared, and maybe she just lost her mojo. This sort of comeback isn't possible for everyone. It didn't happen for Nastia, but that doesn't mean it won't work out for Miki/Yuna/Johnny/Evgeny.

Plushenko took years off, came back last season for just two competitions, and won them both handily. Plushenko trained intensely behind the scenes, and was in fighting shape before he stepped back onto competition ice. Yuna could do the same. Of course, a few competitions would help any comeback skaters tweak their programs under the IJS, as well as get their minds back in the game. With Plushenko's health problems, though, it's understandable that he kept the competitions to a minimum. But I think all these skating veterans have a pretty good idea how to handle their bodies and how to gauge what they can and cannot do at this point. I won't hate on them for skipping the GP series.
    But those competitions were not at Worlds. He had next to no competition at the Russian Championships and didn't have to face Chan or the Japanese at Worlds.
    Last edited by Jammers; 07-10-2012 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    But those competitions were not at Worlds. He had next to no competition at the Russian Championships and didn't have to face Chan or the Japanese at Worlds.
    His Euros score was third on the SB list, and at the time of Worlds was second; his total from Sheffield would have beaten Dai and Hanyu at Worlds. I imagine with some love from the judges, he might have even won in Nice. And just for fun: there is only one active skater who has beaten Plushenko, and it's not Patrick Chan.

I liked how Shen and Zhao handled their Olympic year comeback - no talk, no fuss, no endless speculation. Their names just showed up in the GP assignments in 2009, and then they came into the season fit and well-prepared.

Custom Title
    Yeah. I wish S/Z could come back again, don't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    His Euros score was third on the SB list, and at the time of Worlds was second; his total from Sheffield would have beaten Dai and Hanyu at Worlds. I imagine with some love from the judges, he might have even won in Nice. And just for fun: there is only one active skater who has beaten Plushenko, and it's not Patrick Chan.

I liked how Shen and Zhao handled their Olympic year comeback - no talk, no fuss, no endless speculation. Their names just showed up in the GP assignments in 2009, and then they came into the season fit and well-prepared.
    Yes, only one who has beaten Plush, and only one time. Brian Joubert in 2004 European Championships. That was a tragedy for me.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Plushenko has been lucky as he has competed against more or less inconsistent skaters in recent years. His scores have been very high, especially his reputation PCS.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast