Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Comebacks: Ando, Kim, Plushenko, Weir, etc.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    And just for fun: there is only one active skater who has beaten Plushenko, and it's not Patrick Chan.
    Well, he has not been an active competitor himself the last two years and has not given Patrick Chan or anybody else outside Russia and Europe a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    Yes, only one who has beaten Plush, and only one time. Brian Joubert in 2004 European Championships. That was a tragedy for me.
    I enjoyed it

I believe it was the ISU that did not give Plushenko a chance to compete for one of the past two seasons. Considering that he is pretty much held up with tape and string at this point, I won't hold his selective participation in events against him. But maybe he'll surprise us and claim the open host slot for Rostel - it could be quite instructive to see two great skaters face off (and two equally great politikking federations, too).

Jaana, luck has nothing to do with it; Plushenko is simply a tremendous competitor, and has excellent Mishin-taught jump technique. Which is why he's hard to beat even when off-form and struggling with injuries. And are you really suggesting that he is the only top skater who gets a reputation bonus, and none of your favorites ever do? That's either naive or disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah. I wish S/Z could come back again, don't you?
    Actually, no. Shen and Zhao got their career achievement award in Vancouver, and I didn't enjoy them as much once they were Nicholized. I liked them better when they were a bit rougher around the edges. So I'm good with them staying retired; I just respect the way the went about their comeback.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Plushenko has been lucky as he has competed against more or less inconsistent skaters in recent years. His scores have been very high, especially his reputation PCS.
    Reputation mark comes for a reason. How lucky must he have been the last 14 years?
    With bonus marks and all, he killed the Lp at euros this year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    Well, he has not been an active competitor himself the last two years and has not given Patrick Chan or anybody else outside Russia and Europe a chance.
    He went to COR in 2009. Patrick didnt. Kozuka was there. He also competed in the Olympics
    Plush vs Hanyu is the most I m waiting next season. If Hanyu beats him, I m looking forward to both their reaction.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring
    He went to COR in 2009. Patrick didnt. Kozuka was there. He also competed in the Olympics
    I checked and 2009 and 2010 Olympics are not within the last two years.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    ^ sorry I thought you meant in general. For one season post Vancouver he was uneligible, not that he would compete anyway. And last season he was not like in a condition to compete full season. In any case he is in a different carreer point than the ones you mentioned. I believe Yuna will have few competitions too till Sochi.

I enjoyed it

I believe it was the ISU that did not give Plushenko a chance to compete for one of the past two seasons. Considering that he is pretty much held up with tape and string at this point, I won't hold his selective participation in events against him.
    Fingers crossed he looks totally healthy now, knee surgery and all. He does a tone of off ice condition these days. But yes, I believe they have a selective competition plan till 2014. I dont think he cares to add more GP experience, and my guess is he wont go to Euros this year. His goal is Sochi. But who knows..

Custom Title
    Plush vs Hanyu is the most I m waiting next season. If Hanyu beats him, I m looking forward to both their reaction.

Plushy: ><

Hanyu: ^^

Fans: @@

Agents: $$

Custom Title
    FWIW, my psychic source says Plushenko will go to Sochi Olympics but the medalists will be Chan, Kozuka, and Gachinski. Takahashi and Abbott, who will win 2013 Worlds Silver, will retire and not go to Sochi. Kozuka is back up on top after the disappointing past season.

Take it with your salt but please don't kill the messenger.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 07-10-2012 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Gachinski deserves to have his name spelled correctly.

Custom Title

Fingers crossed he looks totally healthy now, knee surgery and all. He does a tone of off ice condition these days. But yes, I believe they have a selective competition plan till 2014. I dont think he cares to add more GP experience, and my guess is he wont go to Euros this year. His goal is Sochi. But who knows..
    Oh no, I plan to go to EC since WORLD is out of question for me. But of course his health is the most important thing he should take care of first.

Custom Title
    I think Plushenko will compete just enough to qualify for Sochi. It is wise to conserve and preserve.

I enjoyed it

I believe it was the ISU that did not give Plushenko a chance to compete for one of the past two seasons. Considering that he is pretty much held up with tape and string at this point, I won't hold his selective participation in events against him. But maybe he'll surprise us and claim the open host slot for Rostel - it could be quite instructive to see two great skaters face off (and two equally great politikking federations, too).

Jaana, luck has nothing to do with it; Plushenko is simply a tremendous competitor, and has excellent Mishin-taught jump technique. Which is why he's hard to beat even when off-form and struggling with injuries. And are you really suggesting that he is the only top skater who gets a reputation bonus, and none of your favorites ever do? That's either naive or disingenuous.

Actually, no. Shen and Zhao got their career achievement award in Vancouver, and I didn't enjoy them as much once they were Nicholized. I liked them better when they were a bit rougher around the edges. So I'm good with them staying retired; I just respect the way the went about their comeback.
    If you enjoyed look at this. Sad, it's german documentary, but very interesting, we can see the events of backstage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2841lVtRMQ&feature=plcp

Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post

Plushy: ><

Hanyu: ^^

Fans: @@

Agents: $$
    LOL! but right!

Reputation mark comes for a reason. How lucky must he have been the last 14 years?
    With bonus marks and all, he killed the Lp at euros this year anyway.

Yes, and Kozuka said:

"He didn't compete for three years, but as soon as I saw him, I knew that there was a true Olympic Champion on the ice." - Takahiko Kozuka, Rostelecom Cup 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah. I wish S/Z could come back again, don't you?
    They finished their competitive skating, but they want to open a skating school, collaboration with Lu Chen.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    If you enjoyed look at this. Sad, it's german documentary, but very interesting, we can see the events of backstage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2841lVtRMQ&feature=plcp
    The sound quality is horrendous and I don't understand German, but the glimpse of what looked like baby Gachi at the beginning was a nice surprise

The sound quality is horrendous and I don't understand German, but the glimpse of what looked like baby Gachi at the beginning was a nice surprise
    Yes, Gachi was so cute..

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast