Comebacks: Ando, Kim, Plushenko, Weir, etc. | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Comebacks: Ando, Kim, Plushenko, Weir, etc.

DianaSelene

Medalist
As I watch this performance from 2012 EC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBJtNXvyWbg

I can see that Plushenko´s "transitions" are after a jump and there is a lot of plain sroking before a jump... This is the Russian idea of having transitions, LOL, totally different compared to what Chan and Takahashi are performing.

You know why? Because Plushenko is NOT Chan and Takahashi. Different skaters, different styles, different transitions. Surprise!

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Buttercup you are killing me. Before Verner I watched worlds and olympics list of partricipants. I skipped Euros. So now I watched Euros, Kristofer Bertnsson is the other choice or it doesnt count cause he retired? I missed him a lot at the last Euros..
I just realized that I forgot to say who the other one is. But first, did you enjoy baby Verner? He looks so young! Well, he was so young. Koffe is retired, he told AS last year he won't be competing at Euros/Worlds any more so I wasn't referring to him. What is he doing these days? Does anyone know?

Anyway, you were on track with the idea of a comeback skater... here's the answer.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Johnny? I wouldnt imagine in a million years..I didn't even know he was competing so early!

*lucinda book is a torture, especially with this heat..:unsure:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Johnny? I wouldnt imagine in a million years..I didn't even know he was competing so early!

I wouldn't have figured it out on my own, either - I happened to look up that event and was very surprised when his name popped up. You can read all about his experience at the Goodwill Games in this ancient GS article...

That book is a challenge in any sort of weather.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

In Brisbane began Plushy's and Johnny's friendship. Plush went to Johnny and congratulated him.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Yes, I follow her on Twitter too and some of her tweets are very sad. I am actually surprised how openly she tells about her feeling, almost like she would be seeking for a help. If her come-back is so difficult, she shouldn't force it. Also she seems to be very heartbroken.

I need the light in my life...I don't know what to do... I feel I am in lost..

until when I have to be strong!? I went through so many times to be strong... Kill myself... I want to be happy...

I born to die

https://twitter.com/181712

I just noticed that Ando has changed her Twitter account to Miki M Ando ‏@Miki_M_ANDO http://twitter.com/Miki_M_ANDO.

Over the past couple of weeks, she has been sending lots of tweets, mostly in Japanese, plus photos.
Compared to some of her seemingly troubled tweets in the past, this one in English from last week seems much more lighthearted: http://twitter.com/Miki_M_ANDO/status/227600146635046912

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Will Lysacek be announcing that he's competing in Skate America?

In case anyone cares:

Evan Lysacek ‏@EvanLysacek
Thank You to @HiltonHHonors for hosting me in London for a very exciting announcement I'll be making tomorrow morning … http://say.ly/bGl3WhT
7:30 AM - 9 Aug 12​

(Remains to be seen whether tomorrow's announcement will have anything to do with his comeback, but I don't think this "tease" deserves a new thread.)

ETA:
So .... tomorrow also is the day that "2012 Hilton HHonors Skate America" single-session tickets will go on sale (at 10 am PT). http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story.asp?id=48320&type=media
And the link in Lysacek's tweet above is to a post on his website that says that he will make the announcement on the Today show.
So IF he announces on the Today show that he will compete at Skate America, it would be the perfect opportunity to plug that single-session tix are going on sale the very same morning.
As SNL's Church Lady would say, "Isn't that conveeeeeeenient?"​

Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'd rather see Armin Mahbanoozadeh at Skate America than Evan Lysacek. :rolleye:

SkateFan66

On the Ice
I'd rather see Armin Mahbanoozadeh at Skate America than Evan Lysacek. :rolleye:

Armin was assigned to Skate America last year and performed poorly. He also performed poorly at his other GP event last year. Therefore, I would rather see another skater compete at Skate America. Might as well give the Olympic Champion a chance to compete, and see how he does after a two year break from competing.

centerpt1

On the Ice
So I suppose Hilton Honors will gift Evan a large appearance fee for being at Skate America. Evan has shown he's all about the money. He turns up his nose at USFS, refuses to skate at Skate America last year , refuses to do SOI....that's the way he thanks the skating community that went all out to support him.

Evan comes off as an elitist snob. He has shown no grace or class as an Olympic Gold Medalist.

I' d rather see Armin at Skate America. Or any of the guys that would be much better role models to represent the sport.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Frank carroll says Lysacek can do quads triples with no problem. If he can do quad triples with no problem than he is going to win everything and gold again in sochi.

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
Frank carroll says Lysacek can do quads triples with no problem. If he can do quad triples with no problem than he is going to win everything and gold again in sochi.

we must remember this is what Frank was saying going into Nationals 2010.

gmyers

Record Breaker
we must remember this is what Frank was saying going into Nationals 2010.

He was saying a lot of stuff. "Quads are important. Quads are mandatory for Olympic judges." Scott Hamilton was all "Oh my Lysacek is doing the best quads in practice I've ever seen!" in 2010 during nationals. But a fall meant 0 points for Lysacek when he fell on a ured quad when he fell down very badly and poorly and then quads were not important anymore. What if he comes back with quads but injures his foot. Or he injures his foot but can do quads. Or the foot was never a problem with quads. Because he certainly risked a quad in 2010 nationals right before the Olympics so that was interesting. Now the quads are back. If they are not back what if he can still win without a quad. Will he plan quads in SP and LP or just LP? I will be most interestied in the jump layouts. This has got me surprisingly nervous. His program that won him the Olympics in 2010 and made him reigning gold medalist for 4 years like it did Kim Yu-Na and Virtue and moir is worth less but what if he can still get the same points from the all judges.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
It is thrilling, trying for team USA, Weir, Evan, Rippon, Abbott, Armin, Miner, Dornbush and more...Skating will be uber exciting...just wish it got tv coverage.

centerpt1

On the Ice
Still-can any of the US men get a quad and 3A in the short, and two quads, two 3A's in the free? Plus do everything else?

None of these US men have ever done that.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty

Sure if Chan falls 7 times, and Japanese men all fall numerous times, if Plushenko goes back to doing programs with no transitions and barely landing his jumps, and a bunch of other things happen.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
The only skater I can see being remotedly successful in a comeback is Kim and that is only if she starts training her backside off again. Ando, Weir, Lysacek will all flop in their comebacks, and not be in contention at all.

gmyers

Record Breaker
Sure if Chan falls 7 times, and Japanese men all fall numerous times, if Plushenko goes back to doing programs with no transitions and barely landing his jumps, and a bunch of other things happen.

Few thought it was possible from 2006 to 2010 that the winner of the Olympics in 2010 in mens skating could do so without a quad. Lysacek will play to the system in an extreme way while probably leaving out a quad and judges will give him wins like they gave him a world title, GPF title, Olympic title and made him a major success. He didn't change one thing about his program from 2009 worlds to 2010 Olympics and it worked so he will come back probably start winning again. There have been rule changes but the olympic champion has not skated under them yet.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Few thought it was possible from 2006 to 2010 that the winner of the Olympics in 2010 in mens skating could do so without a quad. Lysacek will play to the system in an extreme way while probably leaving out a quad and judges will give him wins like they gave him a world title, GPF title, Olympic title and made him a major success. He didn't change one thing about his program from 2009 worlds to 2010 Olympics and it worked so he will come back probably start winning again. There have been rule changes but the olympic champion has not skated under them yet.

Your posts are always good for a huge laugh. I honestly dont think you are crazy so I will just presume you are purposely going out of your way to be comical. Just like your posts before this season proclaiming the Shibutanis were a lock to medal at every Worlds until 2018, and a lock to medal at the 2014 Olympics, medal at the 2012 Worlds, win the 2018 Olympics, possibly winning both the 2014 and 2018 Olympics. I should have known then you were a bot looking to just make people laugh.

Evan won the 2009 Worlds and 2010 Olympics since the level of skating was so low. He won without a quad since there wasnt anyone who both had a quad and wasnt falling or stumbling all over the ice, or whose overall skating wasnt total rubbage (Van Der Perren, even Vancouver version of Plushenko). Evan at his best was scoring over 160 points. Chan at his best scores over 200 points, and with major falls and errors scores over 180. Even with a quad Evan couldnt come close to Chan unless Chan skates half the program on his rear, and I am no Chan fan. Chan does everything better than Evan now, even if he werent doing quads, so how can Evan compete with him. Takahashi skating his best would easily beat Evan even with quads too, never mind without, and Hanyu is pulling in huge TES from the judges and inflated PCS. Evans Vancouver LP, in a competition that clearly had inflated scoring as Yu Nas scores and the mens short program scores reflects, were much lower than 3 men from Worlds last year. The field isnt going to start getting weaker. A skater who struggles with both quads and triple axels and waves his arm like a windmall isnt going to win titles just by virtue of not falling anymore. Unless he shows up with things he never had before, not just quads, he wont even be a contender, and will be fighting just to get out of a weak U.S mens field.