Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thornhill Summer Skate 2012, August 16-19

Tripping on the Podium
    Just want to add a big congratulations to all who competed in Thornhill this weekend. I got to see mostly the west rink so some Novice dance, Junior and Senior dance and mens. I enjoyed all the programs and wish all the skaters the best of luck over their season. Great job everyone!

Custom Title
    Hello everyone - watched the free dance today and it was a good day of skating...my only gripe was the overscoring for both P/I and G/P...it's still early in the season but folks let's get real neither program at this stage should have scored in the 90's...my two cents...

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    Thanks to the same person here's G/P's FD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYNYbLcp3SA

heyhey..I'm with you!
    Last edited by colleen o'neill; 08-19-2012 at 10:36 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    It nice to see a hi def video at this point in the season. I'm not a huge fan of the music, but it doesn't make me want to slit my throat or anything.

I am a sucker for those leg extended twizzles G&P did, when they are done in sync nicely, and I really liked the lift with Piper in an extreme split..

However, the stationary lift is a bad idea that often doesn't score particularly well. And they didn't do it that well. I hope they are using it as a choreographic lift rather than a counting lift. I also didn't like the spin.

I think their step sequence has improved from last year, too.

And thank goodness Paul is not wearing a deep V neck shirt in this video.

Custom Title
    I like this a lot better than at the gala. I feel there is much more musicality and flow.

Custom Title
    Paul is strong like tractor, I'd never deny that.
    Too bad there are no archives for Thornhill, because there was an interesting performance by a very new junior team, Penkow/Proulx-Senecal. He, with his former partner, was eleventh at Canadians this year, and they caught my eye then, because of his good performance quality. She was skating novice last year, and is so bendy that I would bet she came from the world of rythmic gymnastics. If you want to see extreme splits and all other bendy moves, just wait for next year. They are a nice looking couple, too.

On the Ice
    I don't think Proulx-Senecal has any more years left in Junior tho. This is the dilema in Quebec. Most of their boys are 20-21. This is why I suspect they are really pushing the Mengs this year.

Custom Title
    I believe this will be his last year in Junior, but my guess is they'll be a much improved couple next year, and pretty entertaining.

Custom Title
    G/P have improved massively from Nationals last year. Very impressed. Don't care for the program at all, but the improvement is notable. Hated that spin, but the cantaliever into the curve lift? Definite win.

Constable , Costume Police colleen o'neill's Avatar
    I agree they are much improved, and I did like that one spin position with her low and him high .. and I also like the extended leg twizzle doris mentioned..Again , I thought many of the lifts were impressive, but I'm one who's been very happy that programs, in general , are no longer one lift after another after another , so this program leaves me a bit apprehensive..I'm OK with the music, and have always liked that last piece.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by slipslidin View Post
    Paul is strong like tractor, I'd never deny that.
    Too bad there are no archives for Thornhill, because there was an interesting performance by a very new junior team, Penkow/Proulx-Senecal. He, with his former partner, was eleventh at Canadians this year, and they caught my eye then, because of his good performance quality. She was skating novice last year, and is so bendy that I would bet she came from the world of rythmic gymnastics. If you want to see extreme splits and all other bendy moves, just wait for next year. They are a nice looking couple, too.
    here are Penkov/Proulx-senecal programs from the qc summer competition
    SD
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24611128/theater
    FD
    http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/24634358/theater
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 08-21-2012 at 09:10 PM. Reason: fix quote code

Custom Title
    They were already improved by Thornhill, but the thing is that seeing them first rather decreased the wow factor of Piper's exteme splits.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by colleen o'neill View Post
    I agree they are much improved, and I did like that one spin position with her low and him high .. and I also like the extended leg twizzle doris mentioned..Again , I thought many of the lifts were impressive, but I'm one who's been very happy that programs, in general , are no longer one lift after another after another , so this program leaves me a bit apprehensive..I'm OK with the music, and have always liked that last piece.
    Oh, it's not a great dance program. In terms of the match between body and blade, movement and music, it's nothing. I'm just glad that there is some technical improvement.

Custom Title
    IP totally agree with you thats why I was disappointed at the Gala.
    I felt they need to put in more traditional dancey elements if they want to stand up and be counted.

Custom Title
    Thanks for posting the videos from BC and Thornhill!

For G/P this video is much easier to catch the flavour than the one from the Scarboro gala.

There are a number of things they do well: innovative lifts, innovative spin, energy, attack, speed. They clearly enjoy skating together, and have a lot of presence on the ice. They are fun to watch.

This does not make them a great competitive ice dance team yet. There are way too many cross-cuts and too much 2-foot skating, the elements are not tied together smoothly, they are missing matching angles, lines and edges (the pictures tell the tale on this), the 2nd step sequence especially looked like she was struggling to keep up with him, there is not a lot of finishing movements or focus on the dance. To me, not unlike last year, it looked more like a modified pairs program than a dance program. We are missing the dance.

Last year, the Canadian judges seemed to completely ignore the realities of this situation, perhaps mesmerized by costumes, speed and tricks. And we saw ridiculous marks in Thornhill as well. I'm hoping the international judges will set this straight and have some more perspective. I don't see a problem with good marks on the tricks/elements themselves when they are well executed. I have a real issue seeing 8's and 9's on the PCS side when the skating and team basics are weak or missing entirely. As a team, G/P need to work on the basics in order to deserve those kinds of marks. My fear is that the over-marking of last year has sent a message to them that they can bypass/short-circuit this with energy, speed and flash. An even greater fear is that they will continue to get over-rewarded for this.

To me, I was very impressed with R/H. Of all the Senior teams competing this past weekend, I think they have improved the most. Their SD was really very good. The polka was very well executed, and they had some great dancing. They had good lines, edges, unison.....quality skating. I even sorta liked their costumes. I'm really looking forward to their FD. If they continue their improvements and development, they will definitely be in the running for 3rd at Nationals.

I was also pleased to see P/I back to their former selves. It was painful to watch last year. I'm happy to see they will remain in Detroit beyond the Summer. Comparing these 2 with G/P, they really are opposites. P/I are all smooth lines, soft knees, unison, close skating, beautiful edges, intricate choreography, understated charm, elegance. They are missing attack, energy and speed. I'm hoping that their time in Detroit will help them find this over the season. They are dancers. They just need some confidence, power, and speed - perhaps an easier hill to climb than the mountain in front of G/P. I think the 3rd spot is going to be an interesting 3-way battle between G/P, P/I and R/H at Nationals.

I did not include O/W in that battle for 3rd. I think it is likely they will remain in the same spot after the season is over. I didn't catch their FD, but from the SD, I don't see a ton of improvement. The concept and packaging of the SD is wonderful (small point, I love her hair, and hope she loses the pig tails in the future). It suits them perfectly for sure. They can skate fast, and are clearly having fun. But again, there is a ton of 2-foot skating, a real lack of innovative connecting choreography, not much range in emotion and presentation and general shakiness (especially on his part). I don't like all the different music cuts. Is this a rule in the SD as well? Can they not just use 1 or 2 pieces of music? It makes the program choppy. I'm eager to see their FD. I'm hoping I see more in terms of mature skating, quality lines and finishing movements, more depth of expression, more intricate choregraphy, and so on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast