Thornhill Summer Skate 2012, August 16-19 | Golden Skate

Thornhill Summer Skate 2012, August 16-19

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Interim entry list: http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com//Irma/Summer Skate 2012/Interim List July 4.pdf

"All names on the list are as of July 4th (early bird closing date). Anyone not on the list is either not registered or has not completed their registration."

Per the Announcement http://www.skatecanada-centralontario.com//Irma/Summer Skate 2012/Summers Announcement.pdf:

"Closing Date of Entries: Access to online registration will cease at 11:59pm on July 18, 2012."

"Schedule, Entries and Start Orders will be posted on the COS web site at www.skatecanada-centralontario.com/2012-13eventsresults.html as they become available and no later than Friday August 10, 2012."​

colleen o'neill

Medalist
So, G/P were not there..dunno why? Will we see the FD?

P/I did not have whatever problems they had at LP . I like their program a lot..but whoever said they were using La Vie En Rose was so wrong. I can't think of the title of the waltz part without checking, but I think C/Z used it in their SD year before last ( and I think it's really more of a 6/8)..

ETA
: checked it's" La Foule"..the polka part was "Milord" ...their rough score was 58..something.

R/H ..This is a much better vehicle , IMO than last year's SD, and will be excellent for them if the bugs get worked out ( which I'm sure they will)..the cancan part is pretty choppy right now but lots of nice stuff in there..57 point something , for 2nd

I'm very impressed with the potential of Aronow / Brubacker..I think Marina has something there.. Some problems with twizzles and other rough bits, but they sure look good together .I like their french waltz and Polka , too.

doris..I suspect it will drive you to distraction to try to assess the pattern dances as the camera is positioned so that you lose both near side corners. GRRRR.

I wasn't very thrilled with the Jrs..musically, anyway..a lot of white bread poor approximations of the blues , or pop stuff that you can make the rhythm fit, but there's just no depth ..just never works for me. Bent and McKeen are very nice skaters ( and the program will likely work for them ) but this didn't have the polish that I saw from E/P yesterday , and I thought their score was high, considering some shaky bits ( oh well , different competition) .. Who stood out to me here for potential was Penkov / Proulx-Senecal...Am I right in thinking this is a new pairing ?

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
Yes, Penkov/Proulx-Senecal are a new pairing. Last season she was skating in novice, and he was skating with Josyanne Cholette (11th at Canadians). Their performance at the Quebec Summer Championships was streamed and is archived on Skatebuzz (33.37 points). Here they scored 41.43 points, and the performance visually was much better IMO, so it looks like they are beginning to gel as a team.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Thanks Herios, these have not been archived, and despite the poor camera angle, it's good to be able to see them again. Wonder what became of G/P and whether we'll see their free dance.

Ravensque

On the Ice
Thanks for posting those herios. Loved both programs and am looking forward to seeing them develop over the season.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Yes, thanks again, herios..the lack of archiving is really annoying. I think both those SDs will shape up very well.

So now we've seen the SDs for the 3 couples who were bunched so tightly at Canadians last year .. and I like the potential for all of them..and they're all completely different .:biggrin:..fun!

So.. getting ready to watch ..I guess we wont see R/H..I hope we see G/P and P/I , both..we were slated to see G/P yesterday , but it was not to be.. and I've been looking forward to P/I's FD since they announced their music selections... and I hope someone will upload to youtube again , if there continues to be no archiving.:disapp:

skatingfan04

Final Flight
Just got home from a great weekend!!

I'll just comment breifly on yesterday' SD to start. I thought thisprogram was really great for R/H. It was fun and energetic, got the audience going, and they seemed to be enjoying it. Thatbeing said, I found it a little light on transitions, and the non-touching footwork sequence was messy.

As for P/I, I was really relieved by the music choice. While La Vie en Rose wouldn't hve worked with the polka, Milord definately did. They looked so great. They're skating was light and elegant, their edges were lovely, and they really seemed to get into the music. It's nice to see them looking more like their old selves.

Now, for today's FD...

I liked G/P's better in person than I did when I saw that video of them. That being said, the program still doesn't do it for me. While the tricks were very impressive, there was a real lack of transitions, and I felt like there was too much set up for the elements. I saw lots of skating on two feet being masked by fancy arm movements and speed. Based on the scores, the judges fell for it big time. They have improved in technique since last season, ut they're still skating bit far apart in the footwork sequences (understandable, given their newness). Their speed was incredible, but I think that it's worth noting that it's easier to generate speed when you spend half the program on two feet.

I was thrilled by everything about P/I. The music selection were perfectly cut together, and they did a fantastic job of utilizing both the jazzy and soft pieces of music without maing it look choppy. I adored the choreograpy, which was intricate withut being cluttered, and thought their performance level was way up. Their skating, as usual, was all elegance and lovely edges, an there were no long set-ups for their elements. They pretty much look to be back up to their pre-injury level, with the exception of a bit of speed and power still lacking. I was also happy with their scores. While they didn't beat G/P (which irked me because G/P's advantage mostly came from the choreography and skating skills section of the PCS), they managed to bridge the massive gap that had seperated them previously, and did so in spite of the favouratism we've been seeing since last season. At least, it seems, P/I might have a chance at that worlds spot.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Thanks, Pogue ! I've been madly searching for that . I hope G/P's comes up too. I dare to hope for O/W, but I won't hold my breath.

Well, I've had some annoyances , this weekend what with the archiving variances and there being 4 judges in the west and 7 judges in the east, and ?? could that make a slight difference...even allowing for different panels ? ( just looking at the kind of scores put up at LPIDC..the western scores were very much in line ..just a couple of points where they increased ( which would easily allow for improvement ,or different sets of judges.) ..and some decreased ( which would allow for an off day )... But at Thornhill ,there was a big discrepancy and I have to say, scores up in the 90's seem strange for this time of year.. ( and that was with 2 points in deductions for long lifts for G/P )

I do think G/P have improved since Canadians , but I like a little more dancing sprinkled in between the racing from one acrobatic lift to the next..and I confess the high PCS doesn't sit well with me either. Don't get me wrong some of those lifts were impressive but the overall effect just amounts to a display of strength and speed ( There was a very nice position in their combination spin that I liked )

P/I..I really love this program as well.This is clearly dancing. I 'm hoping they'll stick with DSC and keep the train a-movin' ... Oh rats, I have to go..I'll be ba-a-ack...

Last edited:

slipslidin

On the Ice
When I remember how good Weaver and Poje were all last season, and how hard it was for them to break 100, and see teams at Thornhill scoring in the 90's, I have to wonder if they will have to raise the 'ceiling' for the top flight skaters.
Loved P/I's free dance, certainly the best and most appropriate progam they've had. Too bad Camerlengo didn't choreograph their short dance. I feel they might have done better in the polka.
R/H have the beginnings of a really nice short dance. Hope they can keep it fun without getting sloppy. Kharis looks beautiful this year. Go, Ralph and Hill!

Just want to add a big congratulations to all who competed in Thornhill this weekend. I got to see mostly the west rink so some Novice dance, Junior and Senior dance and mens. I enjoyed all the programs and wish all the skaters the best of luck over their season. Great job everyone!

heyhey

On the Ice
Hello everyone - watched the free dance today and it was a good day of skating...my only gripe was the overscoring for both P/I and G/P...it's still early in the season but folks let's get real neither program at this stage should have scored in the 90's...my two cents...

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
It nice to see a hi def video at this point in the season. I'm not a huge fan of the music, but it doesn't make me want to slit my throat or anything.

I am a sucker for those leg extended twizzles G&P did, when they are done in sync nicely, and I really liked the lift with Piper in an extreme split..

However, the stationary lift is a bad idea that often doesn't score particularly well. And they didn't do it that well. I hope they are using it as a choreographic lift rather than a counting lift. I also didn't like the spin.

I think their step sequence has improved from last year, too.

And thank goodness Paul is not wearing a deep V neck shirt in this video.

emdee

Final Flight
I like this a lot better than at the gala. I feel there is much more musicality and flow.