Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Carolina Kostner To Keep Skating Until 2014 Olympics

Wow, wasn't really expecting that
    It will be great to be able to see what Carolina can do with her more controlled skating and artistry. I wonder if she will bring back the lutz?
    Sochi promises to one great event with all the veterans and Russian wunderkizs in the mix!!

Custom Title
    It's going to be a nailbiter. I'll have to take extra vitamins. Maybe I should start now.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    .. I know she has a certain amount of power but her power and speed is not that of Irina Slutskaya though she gets rewarded pc wise like she is at that level. ..
    common, she has much higher skating skills than Slutskaya and is faster than her. Carolinas artistry and connection to the music is greater an Slutskaya. If you say Slutskaya a more difficult jump lay-out, ok, it's true, and it was due to injury Carolina had to take away some jumps she always had until her injury on her knees

...She was also very lucky to go to the last Olympics I believe when her compatriot arguably earned the spot and I believe beat her at Nationals (somewhere she was lucky to be given a second shot at Olympics or worlds after a bad skate.
    you are wrong, she earned the spot beating Valentina at Euros and being European Champion 2010
    Carolina has develop such skills, artistry and presentation. She really shows what figure skating is, not only jump, jump, jump with nothing in between.

I'm so happy she will continue for two more years, that are great news. :D

Custom Title
    ... I know she has a certain amount of power but her power and speed is not that of Irina Slutskaya though she gets rewarded pc wise like she is at that level. Her technical elements right now in respect to jumps are arguably lower than say Liz Manley or Denise Biellman.
    I like Slutskaya's skating. She is very good. But, I have to say that you cannot compare Carolina with Irina. They have totally different styles. Also, Carolina is MUCH FASTER than Irina. Slutskaya had awesome skills, great jumps and a unique style. For me, she was a "much better version of Leonova". But comparing Carolina with Irina, at least for me, does not make much sense.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post
    common, she has much higher skating skills than Slutskaya and is faster than her. Carolinas artistry and connection to the music is greater an Slutskaya. If you say Slutskaya a more difficult jump lay-out, ok, it's true, and it was due to injury Carolina had to take away some jumps she always had until her injury on her knees

you are wrong, she earned the spot beating Valentina at Euros and being European Champion 2010
    Carolina has develop such skills, artistry and presentation. She really shows what figure skating is, not only jump, jump, jump with nothing in between.

What I am saying is that Italy could have gone with Marchesi by nationals - Carolina knew she was lucky and you can't deny some of her medals at worlds were questionable or at least extremely lucky. I do think she will do well because it is like she is the golden girl. I am not sure Carolina skates faster than Irina but that is pointless to argue. It just feels to me Carolina has had her time in the sun. I think though she may be like Witt - a cat that always lands on her feet. But I hear all you Kostner fans. Olympics will be exciting yes but sad only 3 medals. If things are like this then I say bring on Joannie and why not Sasha too

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by npavel View Post

Slutskaya's skating skills are even better than Kostner's. Kostner used to be faster but sometimes she tended to lost control because of her huge speed. Irina also had tremendous speed, though she was always in total control of her skating. And at nowadays, Carolina slowed down to the point where their speed is equal.

Custom Title
    Are you kidding? Irina's skills better than Carolina? I don't think so. Skating Skills are not only about speed. The amount of flow and deep edges that Carolina's skating features are just unbeatable. In my humble opinion, she has the best skating skills in the world.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Per IN this morning:

(08/02/2012) - Carolina Kostner's name was scratched Thursday from the entry lists for the Cup of China and Trophée Eric Bompard, the two Grand Prix events in which she was scheduled to compete this fall.
    No formal announcement has been made or reason given for her apparent withdrawal from these competitions.

[No mention of this news (yet??) by carolina-kostner.it @msKOSTNER on Twitter.]

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    No

That is a HUGE change for the other skaters. Kostner had has opened up a lot of room for others to get a chance at a medal. I wonder what happened.

The most recent posts by Kostner on Facebook and Twitter were on July 27. They have a photo of herself casually posing on the ice in Obertsdorf with Miki Ando and Stephane Lambiel. Ando and Lambiel are wearing their skates, but Kostner notes -- with smiley-face emoticons -- that she herself is wearing flip-flops.

http://twitter.com/msKOSTNER/status/228962071159640064
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...levant_count=1

Custom Title
    Interesting; I guess we will have to wait and see what she has to say; imho she has already succeeded and won a world championship title.

Custom Title
    My guess is that she's just late on her preparation...I doubt she had trained properly until her decision to stay and this was taken not even a month ago...

The Italian edition of Vanity Fair apparently has a new interview with Kostner.
    http://www.vanityfair.it/people/ital...impiadi-londra

I have not tried using a translation website. Don't know if the interview has any news about her skating plans.

[But I do see from her website that on Sep 22 in Verona, she will perform for the first time with Lambiel to "Romeo & Juliet" for Opera on Ice -- don't know whether another GS thread already has post(s) about that.]

Custom Title
    Carolina is so lovely. Hoping she is managing through this tough time for her and her boyfriend. Hope someone can post something better than a Google translate. Love Carolina!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast