Should American Idol just... end? | Golden Skate

Should American Idol just... end?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Steven Tyler made the announcement that he won't be returning as a judge, JLo just announced she won't be back... rumors are flying that Randy's talking of leaving...

considering how many fans have left it in the last few years, is AI just in need of being ended?

Yipes...who knows. It does sound chaotic just now. Moreover, there are now quite a few singing competition shows, so the airwaves are kind of flooded. I wonder whether things are starting to wind down, or whether it will get a second wind. I hope for the latter; the show is a great boot camp for aspiring singers, who get not only air time but also invaluable training, even if they don't win.

The show has certainly contributed a lot, directly and indirectly, to American culture over the years. Not just its winners but many other singers lower down in the rankings got a good firm start on their careers. A lot of them have better careers than they otherwise would have, on the strength of their Idol pedigree. Jennifer Hudson is a notable example. Would she have been in position for Dreamgirls and her resultant Oscar without Idol? Would Chris Daughtry be anything but the leader of a local bar band? We will not even bother to mention the stratospheric rise of Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood; the answer is too obvious. And though I believe that a driven man like Ryan Seacrest would have found his way up no matter what, this show certainly made him a household word a lot earlier than would otherwise have happened. Constantine Maroulis originated a role on Broadway in Rock of Ages, and Anthony Federov has starred in musicals all over the country and is due to step into the Broadway cast of Rent. Without Idol, his career would be embryonic now, as a guy in his mid-twenties. As an Idol contestant (and a popular one), he had a career from the age of nineteen.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
rumors are flying that Randy's talking of leaving...

considering how many fans have left it in the last few years, is AI just in need of being ended?

I hope Randy doesn't leave.

Why did fans leave?? I guess I asked the question when there are so many voting.

I would miss American Idol.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Tyler will be missed but the band has a record to promote. J.Lo is a franchise and super busy. Randy seems to be the anchor. I wish they could change the format. Make it a singer/songwriter competition. I think we have sees some incredible people, not just the winners. I think they should not have a cutoff age wise, they need to engage the demographic that supports The Voice. Simon Cowell should come back, and as another female judge like Gaga who will get ratings. They could redesign the format many ways. I want themto do away with the many segments of bad singers, and show the top people. It could also include duos or trios and find more real musicians, allowing them to sing their own stuff. Having everyone sing the same style is ok, but "Barry Manilow" week is not suited to every voice. I think they need to redefine their mission...young talent like from my day, Joni Mitchell, Ricki Lee Jones, James Taylor. These people endured and we need people -they are out there-who can do more than just mimic stars of yester year. I have a feeling they'll pull the plug or toyally redesign it. The acts could be bands. I'd love to see a verp open talent format. Ryan Seacrest should be replaced. Nothing personal, just think a more sincere person who is more musical doing the fluff might be a nice change.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I hope Randy doesn't leave.

Why did fans leave?? I guess I asked the question when there are so many voting.

I would miss American Idol.

perhaps it's just a changing of the guard more than anything? I don't know, I just seem to see fewer folks that used to be all for it watching it... it's not keeping any fans, and I wonder how long it can go on if it can't retain fans?

heyang

Record Breaker
I think part of the problem with AI is that Not all of the winners have acheived prolonged success; some of them don't even get a contract renewal.

I saw the Katy Perry movie this weekend with my nieces. Part of her story is that she was dropped by multiple companies who tried to mold her, instead of just letting her be Katy.

Due to America picking the winner, there are sometime incompatabilities between the winner and the recrding company that don't lead to success. However, due to AI's juggernaut status, it's as though if you don't get renewed then you must be a failure. Leading to another AI winner that failed to reach Clarkson or Underwood status. a Catch-22 scenario that tarnished the AI brand.

Also, some seasons are just 'weak' compared to the stand outs. I stopped watching AI years ago - Fantasia vs Diana and Taylor vs Katherine McPhee just didn't cut it for me. Since then, I've only tuned in when there's been big buzz about a stand out AI contestant. I tuned in a bit with Daughtry - one of the stronger seasons. Since then, I think I've only watched the AI finale with Adam Lambert. I also tuned in a bit to see how ST and JLo would do as judges and liked the renewed energy they brought to the panel.

For me, the judges need to be honest and provide constructive comments. I used to agree with Simon frequently, even though he was sometimes harsh, but I equally disliked when he was promoting his favorite, as well. However, I felt Simon's harshness was somewhat 'needed' because the industry and the public are tough - especially in the anonymous internet. What he often said was less harsh than what the general public will eventually say and contestants needs to develop a thick skin, as well as learn how to deal with negativity in public.

The problem with shows like this is, how many new singing phenomenons can the market bear? They can't all become stars. So only a certain number will shine long-term. I don't know how one gets around that.

Interesting, Heyang: Fantasia's year was one of the stronger ones to me. I thought that she was a remarkable talent, though unfortunately she seems not to be a stable enough person to follow through as she should. Her voice and understanding of music are extraordinary, though I imagine her not as a pop singer so much as a singer of standards or jazz, like Nancy Wilson or Nina Simone. Not a career that fills arenas, in other words, but a career that lasts for decades and garners devoted fans. It's too bad she doesn't have Jennifer Hudson's strength of character and self-discipline, or she'd prove me right I'm sure.

I understand what you mean about Taylor Hicks vs. Katherine McPhee. That's the sort of contest that was merely fun while it lasted. I think the last season I watched from beginning to end was the year of Jordin Sparks (who does seem to have long-lasting appeal) and the wonderful Melinda Doolittle. After that I couldn't keep everyone straight, except for Adam Lambert, whose voice is sublime, though I don't always enjoy his music. But then, I'm not really a pop person. Your point about Katy Perry becoming a star by not toeing the line is a great one. The kids on AI are put into a box, and they're expected to comply with what the company requests of them. This is one reason that someone like Chris Daughtry actually benefited from finishing lower down in the rankings, because he was then free to go out and make his kind of music.

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I did hear recently on one of the entertainment shows that while AI has lost viewers it is still the #1 show on TV in the US. I think they need to streamline the voting process & only allow so many votes from one source. I'm sorry to see Steven & JLo go as I much preferred them to Mr. Know It All & his goofy sidekick. I have heard Aretha Franklin's name mentioned & Adam Lambert's as replacements. Both are knowledgeable. I remember Aretha as a judge for a Jr. type idol show & she was spot on with her advice.

Two very interesting choices. I bet Lambert is very articulate, and of course Franklin is the history of pop music wrapped up in one splendid personage, and she's got a wonderful witty way of putting things besides. It would be a great move for AI to feature both a music immortal and a alumnus of the show. I'd certainly watch!

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Is there truth to the Mariah Carey rumor? She is likely to revive her career after twins as did JLo with that stupid dance song with pitbull. Lip synch much JLo? I think Mariah has a warm vibe like Jlo, and it is big money to do not much. I have not heard who might be third. I heard maybe a super star country male. Of the active ones, I think they'd say no if still touring. I though maybe Garth Brooks? This may be old news by now. So it looks lke only the judges will change. Yawn.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I think part of the problem with AI is that Not all of the winners have acheived prolonged success; some of them don't even get a contract renewal.

I saw the Katy Perry movie this weekend with my nieces. Part of her story is that she was dropped by multiple companies who tried to mold her, instead of just letting her be Katy.

Due to America picking the winner, there are sometime incompatabilities between the winner and the recrding company that don't lead to success. However, due to AI's juggernaut status, it's as though if you don't get renewed then you must be a failure. Leading to another AI winner that failed to reach Clarkson or Underwood status. a Catch-22 scenario that tarnished the AI brand.

Also, some seasons are just 'weak' compared to the stand outs. I stopped watching AI years ago - Fantasia vs Diana and Taylor vs Katherine McPhee just didn't cut it for me. Since then, I've only tuned in when there's been big buzz about a stand out AI contestant. I tuned in a bit with Daughtry - one of the stronger seasons. Since then, I think I've only watched the AI finale with Adam Lambert. I also tuned in a bit to see how ST and JLo would do as judges and liked the renewed energy they brought to the panel.

For me, the judges need to be honest and provide constructive comments. I used to agree with Simon frequently, even though he was sometimes harsh, but I equally disliked when he was promoting his favorite, as well. However, I felt Simon's harshness was somewhat 'needed' because the industry and the public are tough - especially in the anonymous internet. What he often said was less harsh than what the general public will eventually say and contestants needs to develop a thick skin, as well as learn how to deal with negativity in public.

Heyang, could you summarize Katy's story? I read she was a blond, christian singer, singing her own music with a very strong christian upbringing. She was going no where. Next we see a 'poptart' if you will who writes I kissed a girl and I liked it, dies her hair, sexes her image 10000% and she has a hit. So, who is Katy? Very confused or just a student of Madonna, like Gaga, Minaj and 20 other women who used her formula for record sales, concerts, self promotion. I don't think Katy has a clue-marriage to Brand. I curious what the movie says and your take/perception of Katy Perry. I will always like "Firework." It is a good pop tune, and clen enough for her audience of kids/teens.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
haven't seen it, but in the talk leading up to the release of the movie she's basically said she's rejected her conservative christian upbringing.