MK versus Greg Louganis in surfboard contest | Page 2 | Golden Skate

MK versus Greg Louganis in surfboard contest

seniorita

Record Breaker
I think the royal Caribbean did choose the best pair for the ad, they are funny and cool and make me want to go on a cruise :p
Michele is winning everything, sorry mr handsome Louganis:biggrin:

^ But Louganis will win golf (I have seen a clip of Michelle playing golf with her brother), ping-pong, and cupcakes. (Unless Michelle sends in Sasha Cohen as a ringer -- Sasha is an expert cupcake maker. :yes: )

seniorita

Record Breaker
I have spotted cup cakes vids and wait for it to be released, I love making cup cakes, how do you know Louganis will win?
So which video will be the next?:)

I have spotted cup cakes vids and wait for it to be released, I love making cup cakes, how do you know Louganis will win?

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/2569/Greg-Louganis-Blueberry-Coffe116551.shtml

Poor Michelle. She's up against a pro. :)

Edited to add Here is Louganis competing in the worlds largest apply pie diving contest. (He got bronze).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqpOOXgwlM

Trivia question. What prestigious award do Michelle and Greg have in common?

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
While MK was still competing as a teen, her estimated earnings were 5 million yearly. Danny Kwan as we all know maximized every opportunity. As the family business, she made them all rich. I'd love to see her rinks. I wonder if the LA rink has a room where her medals and photos are kept? I imagine some stuff is in the Hall of Fame(s). I can imagine what a business it must be with Karen, Peter etc coaching under a giant MK mural. I imagine it is a swanky set up. I wonder if her neices are skaters? With all the investments made of her touring contracts of 14 years, she is quite wealthy. I think only Yuna is richer. Danny made, it seems, only one bad move-the famous Harlick boots that may have led to MK's toes fracture.

Frank Carroll was not really "in charge" he said in a documentary. I have often wondered if she stayed with the boot she grew up in. She might not have had the bad year in 97 and the fracture leading up to Nagano. I never knew when she skated she was in pain at all. "Lyra" being so perfect. So, in the long run, Danny's decision may have cost her the 97 title, the favorite status, the toes fracture which healed fine but was a bump for her otherwise charmed career. In the end, the silver made her stay in, grab more titles, many more, and made her so well known. Kwan must mean "money" in some Chinese dialect. Such good fortune. Talk about an injury with a silver lining. I hope Laura Lepisto and Kira have some of that success as show skaters, as I think they have both retired due to injuries? This seems the rule nowadays, not the exception. I see my favorite Finns will be in Yu-Na's show in August-so glad they can skate in shows at least! Everyone seems to end up injured!

I do not think there is anyone who was as injury free as Michelle. I guess she was smart to forgo 3x3's, as she was winning without them. When I think of Tara's price for the gold, or Yagudins...they didn't do more than 3 years each in SOI and the jumps were not there. I feel we missed so much by not seeing Yagudin be able to perform with jumps intact for years like with Plushy and Kulik, one a lengendary greatest competitor, other as amazing artist/pro. Well, rambling along...forgive me! Off season-and how many days until the Games???! Can't wait!

1. The Artesia rink has some medals. You'd love it!
2. They were Riedell, not Harlick boots that injured her. Harlick wouldn't have injured her, since Kwan uses SP Teri stock, and SP Teri family learned their bootmaking while working for Harlick. Plus, Phil Kuhn, the owner of Harlick would've put her in custom boots. Also, at the time, Harlick had Yamaguchi, Lipinski, Slutskaya and Boitano as their spokespeople.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Trivia question. What prestigious award do Michelle and Greg have in common?

I know which one they don't have in common. :cry: As for what award they do have in common, I'm guessing it's the James E. Sullivan award.

Other fun trivia: The first competitive diver to win the James E. Sullivan award is Sammy Lee, who is also the first Asian-American to win an Olympic gold medal. At that time, because of segregation, he could not reliably practice at a public pool, and had to practice by jumping into a pit full of sand in his backyard. He blazed the trail for other Asian-American athletes to come like Kristi Yamaguchi, and of course, Michelle Kwan.

seniorita

Record Breaker

Oh Louganis recipe!:biggrin: I ll try to do the recipe in this summer and post the picture :cool:

Edited to add Here is Louganis competing in the worlds largest apply pie diving contest. (He got bronze).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEqpOOXgwlM
thats the weirdest thing I ve ever seen as a competition :think:what are they all searching inside this pool, is this an eatable applepie?
Tbh it looked like a bachelor party to me:laugh:

I have no idea what that dive is, and I agree that it's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen. I hope that's not all edible. (I hate wasting food like that, even if it's in fun.) But man, Louganis looks fit, and it's so great to see him enjoying himself.

I'd forgotten that he won the Sullivan Award. He certainly deserved it: so many gold medals across several Olympics, and he probably would have won two more in 1980 if the U.S. hadn't boycotted. Sammy Lee was one of his coaches, by the way--a fitting line of succession.

I chuckled over that exchange of words between Michelle and Greg during the wall climbing, where she points out that there's no water involved in this sport, and he says that he's used to climbing high things for his sport. This is just about the most relaxed I've ever seen Michelle in terms of speaking publicly. I wonder whether these two know each other outside of this "competition." It seems likely they would have met before, as two Californians who are such prominent Olympic champions. Does anyone here know for sure?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
These videos are soooo cheesy. And, really, we don't actually get to see her skating performance?

Well, they're ads. If you go for a ride on our boats, here are all the fun things you can do.