Who will rise and who will fall in 2012-13? | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Who will rise and who will fall in 2012-13?

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I really don't understand why think it the people in North-America, that only few choreographers can do a good program .. I liked Liza's programs. But I didn't like her costumes. Adelina had beautiful costumes.

It's always been a point of contention. The N. American vs European choreography styles are vastly different, and few transcend that. Culture seems to dictate who likes what (again with a few not "conforming" to their side of the world) in this case. It's why the presentation/artistic marks are SO subjective.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
It's always been a point of contention. The N. American vs European choreography styles are vastly different, and few transcend that. Culture seems to dictate who likes what (again with a few not "conforming" to their side of the world) in this case. It's why the presentation/artistic marks are SO subjective.

Thanks Tonichelle. I never thought of this, never thought that these are the reasons, but I think you're right.:agree:

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Plushyfan, the problem with Elizabeta's programs was that she didn't cover the ice. She only skated in the middle of the ice rink and only ventured to one end of the ice once in the LP. Mishin said it was because she was a little girl and couldn't cover the whole rink. When she grows up, she'll use the whole ice.

I loved her skating at Skate Canada but compared to Suzuki's LP, Eliza's LP looked like a junior program and not a very good junior program. And yes, the outfits were inappropriate and ugly.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Plushyfan, the problem with Elizabeta's programs was that she didn't cover the ice. She only skated in the middle of the ice rink and only ventured to one end of the ice once in the LP. Mishin said it was because she was a little girl and couldn't cover the whole rink. When she grows up, she'll use the whole ice.

I loved her skating at Skate Canada but compared to Suzuki's LP, Eliza's LP looked like a junior program and not a very good junior program. And yes, the outfits were inappropriate and ugly.

OK. I know, I read Mishin, but I don't say about it "horrible" program. That was her first senior international debut with a junior program, yes.

DianaSelene

Medalist
DL is right in that SS, CH, TR, IN, and PE all are affected by ice coverage.

I understand what you are saying - yes, ice coverage affects all of the components but I would not say to a huge extent. I'll take Liza's program as an example: she had bad ice coverage as well as choreography. However, she had average transitions, good skating skills, and great interpretation and performance. Even with the ice coverage, she was able to project very well. Part of that is because Liza is a born performer and even bad programs don't make her look bad. Just think how she will shine if she finally gets great programs.

About what Dragonlady said, Tuktamysheva's programs were not good but I wouldn't say they were terrible. She is quite young and has enough time to improve. I don't think you can compare her to Suzuki in terms of programs and components - the age difference and experience. Suzuki has been skating for a long time and knows her style and preferences as well as the choreographers that she likes. Tuktamysheva is still exploring - she is trying to find the choreographers that will give her comfortable and great programs. That is why she went to Lambiel and Dickson and Wilson. Why does everyone expect a skater coming out of juniors to immediately adjust and look like a senior skater at her first competition? And I think it is awesome when a skater can look great with a bad program. That just shows how much better he/she will be with a better one.

Last edited:
Which is why I love it when skaters stay around awhile, because we benefit from their added savvy, artistic maturity, and understanding of how to present the skills. A skater like Michelle Kwan or Irina Slutskaya was wonderful throughout the career, from gifted youngster to mature competitor. That's nice enough. Then you also have a skater like Suzuki, who barely made a splash in her early years, and surprised us with her bountiful talent in her twenties. I'm sure Tuktamysheva will be wonderful through what I hope will be a long career. What she gives us now at this early stage is enough. Except for her outfits. If you'll pardon a little play on words, they're not nearly enough.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I understand what you are saying - yes, ice coverage affects all of the components but I would not say to a huge extent. I'll take Liza's program as an example: she had bad ice coverage as well as choreography. However, she had average transitions, good skating skills, and great interpretation and performance. Even with the ice coverage, she was able to project very well. Part of that is because Liza is a born performer and even bad programs don't make her look bad. Just think how she will shine if she finally gets great programs.

About what Dragonlady said, Tuktamysheva's programs were not good but I wouldn't say they were terrible. She is quite young and has enough time to improve. I don't think you can compare her to Suzuki in terms of programs and components - the age difference and experience. Suzuki has been skating for a long time and knows her style and preferences as well as the choreographers that she likes. Tuktamysheva is still exploring - she is trying to find the choreographers that will give her comfortable and great programs. That is why she went to Lambiel and Dickson and Wilson. Why does everyone expect a skater coming out of juniors to immediately adjust and look like a senior skater at her first competition? And sometimes, skaters with And I think it is awesome when a skater can look great with a bad program. That just shows how much better he/she will be with a better one.

I think part of it is that Liza and Adelina was hyped so much on these boards as juniors, I think people really expected them to have it all when they rose to the senior level. Certainly technically they definitely are competitive to the seniors, but definitely not artistically. And that's totally OK.

The same applies for Gracie Gold.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
On the Gracie front, Lynn Rutherford tweeted the following:

Gracie Gold had solid short in snr ladies group B at Skate Detroit, earning 62.69 pts.(unofficial) for a Rippon Lutz, 3flip3toe & 2Axel.

Sounds good Gracie! Her highest international SP score ever was 60.18 at Tallinn JGP. Her US Championships SP this year was 60.21.

The Rippon Lutz is a new addition to her programs. In fact, does anyone else, male or female, do a Rippon 3Lz except Rippon?

mskater93

Record Breaker
No, they don't. Her coach was joking around and said since it's even harder for a lady, they should call it a "Gold Lutz"

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold is doing a Rippon Lutz now? That is b-a-n-a-n-a-s! I can't even think of any female skater who does the tano lutz (upon further research, I found that Ksenia Doronina does a tano lutz)!

Country
Russia
Is anybody interested in new junior Russian girls? (whose age makes them juniors from season 2012/13)

For example, best of them, Elena RADIONOVA.
Born 06 Jan 1999. Coach Inna Goncharenko, Moscow.
Season 2011/2012 - 5th place Russian national(Senior), 3rd place Russian national(Junior), best score 184.61 (Final of Cup of Russia, Senior).
Lands 7 triples (3Lz & 3Lo twice) in FS. Performs 3Lz+3T, 3Lo+3T, 3Lz+2T+2Lo. Spins 4 level, StSq 3 level.
Next event ISU JGP Courchevel 2012.

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
We are almost all interested in the new junior Russian girls!

Do you have some video links :bow: :bow: ?

burntBREAD

Medalist
Do you have any recent videos of Elena and the others? We've been very excited for her (and Medvedeva) to join the JGP since their great success at Nationals!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes, they are so beautiful as young Americans.

Elena Radionova, FS Russian Jun Nat 2012 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVX9A7IwUJw

Elena Radionova, Final of Cup of Russia 2012
SP http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHt6PuI9-mw
FS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXPw0H_LUZ4

Elena Radionova Crystal Skate 2009
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S86vbmpF2is

There are a lot of videos, so I will add links time for time.

I know her, i love her! I like better her SP in last season. :love:

Last edited: