Who will rise and who will fall in 2012-13? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Who will rise and who will fall in 2012-13?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Kudos to the folks who actually will call the falls because not everyone can rise. I fear VM will be in trouble. Look what happend at the World Team Championships - they crumbled. Unlike Boitano after he beat Orser he constantly beat Orcer; we haven't seen that from Virtue and Moir. I do believe Tsquared will fall down the list as Pang and Tong, two Russian teams, Sui and Han all looked poised to pass. On a bad day they could easily be out of the top ten. We saw how K and S fell out of the top ten in the short last year well T and T look far more vulenrable - they could be beaten by three Russians, two Canadians, two Americans, Italy, Germany and two to three Chinese teams.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I think Abbott's best opportunity was last season. It was gone. He could remain No.1 in US. But that was it.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Kudos to the folks who actually will call the falls because not everyone can rise. I fear VM will be in trouble. Look what happend at the World Team Championships - they crumbled.

I wouldn't say they crumbled. None of the World Champions won individually in this Team event. They had focused on the World Championships and achieved their goals. There was then a de-stressing and a let down of the energy and focus and re-gearing up for this event. But such short term focusing of mental energy was not enough against those whose season had not ended at Worlds but were looking for redemption opportunities at the Team event.

I do believe Tsquared will fall down the list as Pang and Tong, two Russian teams, Sui and Han all looked poised to pass. On a bad day they could easily be out of the top ten. We saw how K and S fell out of the top ten in the short last year well T and T look far more vulenrable - they could be beaten by three Russians, two Canadians, two Americans, Italy, Germany and two to three Chinese teams.

Stars aligned for T/T on that occasion but they were and are not ready technically and mentally, for the position they found themselves in. They didn't believe it and still don't believe enough in themselves. Their falls and errors have become habits.

emdee

Final Flight
I wouldn't say they crumbled. None of the World Champions won individually in this Team event. They had focused on the World Championships and achieved their goals. There was then a de-stressing and a let down of the energy and focus and re-gearing up for this event. But such short term focusing of mental energy was not enough against those whose season had not ended at Worlds but were looking for redemption opportunities at the Team event.

My thoughts exactly. Besides V&M had a very busy off season last year and started the season earlier with Finlandia.

slipslidin

On the Ice
In ice dance, it's hard for me to know which way things are trending. I suspect Davis and White may have peaked, but if they continue to work hard, and get more terrific programs, it could be a plateau that can last several years. For Virtue and Moir, I just have to wait and see. I questioned their choice of progam, and the way they commited to it, huge investment in fluff pieces, photo shoot, even the hair-cut and eyebrow plucking. To top it off, their previous impeccable choice of costumes seemed to have failed them. I would like to see them continue to rise to another Olympic gold, and I know, I know, they won Worlds, but I would surely not like to see them have another season like the last one.

Weaver and Poje will continue to rise. I expect to see Bobrova and Soloviev and Riazanova and Tkachenko move up, and I&K to drop. I think Hubbell and Donohue will overtake the Shibutani's, and Capellini and Lanotte will rise.

Patrick Chan may regret giving up his technical coach.

Canadian ladies may have bottomed out and begin a long, slow climb.

For pairs, I throw up my hands, and simply hope Ingo can come up with another wonderful program and Narumi can land her jumps.

For the returners, I shrug and wish them luck. Not sure you can jump in and out of the game.

Last edited:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Weaver and Poje will continue to rise. I expect to see Bobrova and Soloviev and Riazanova and Tkachenko move up, and I&K to drop. I think Hubbell and Donohue will overtake the Shibutani's, and Capellini and Lanotte will rise.

I see W/P surging, even ahead of V/M temporarily. The Shibs should be next quadrennium's stars.

Patrick Chan may regret giving up his technical coach.

It was not his decision but he is good at turning obstacles into stepping stones.

Canadian ladies may have bottomed out and begin a long, slow climb.

I think Cynthia will redeem herself and retire without a Worlds medal. She may even earn two Olympic spots for Canadian Ladies. Osmond will take over and get on the Worlds podium maybe in three years.

For the returners, I shrug and wish them luck. Not sure you can jump in and out of the game.

Yuna may surprise you. ;)

Hanyu, Liza, Adelina may begin to kick some serious a-s-s:D

I'm not sure how Yuna will do in her first competition of the season, though while I'm certain that she'll pull of as season passes. She usually starts extremely strong, well prepared, but this is a new time and chance for her.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Gracie Gold will continue to rise. Her consistency is incredible in practice and she's added some new tools to the technical box.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
I am surprised no one is predicting Ross Miner to rise to the occassion this season....I think he is the one to watch in the USA :)

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
I see lots of wishful thinking in these prognostications.

The good thing is that these prognostications/wishful thinking can be verified with facts later no matter their reasoning.

I will just say GPF will mark the end and beginning of cycles for many skaters whose fortunes will turn. I think Gracie belongs to those doing very well up till then.

MarkusNJ said:
I am surprised no one is predicting Ross Miner to rise to the occassion this season....I think he is the one to watch in the USA

OK, I say he will win Nationals bronze. He will do better in later half of this season. He may even be an US Champion in the future.

I predict Farris to win multiple US championships and future Worlds medals but he will always have Han Yan and Hanyu to contend with.

edited because I was thinking of Farris when writing about Miner.

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
I say good luck to all skaters. May it be a rising season for everyone, whether or not they land on the top of the podium.

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm not going to make any guesses about those skaters that are returning.....there are just too many variables and it's so hard to take time off and then get back into the competitive mode. But in the US I'm going to be watching Jason Brown and Adam Rippon. Jason is still young and has been with the same coach since he was a "baby!" I would like to see him with one of the more high profile coaches. He has the ability and the flair....now he needs the maturity. I think Adam Rippon is amazing on the ice and his finish at US Nats will give him the boost he needed.

I would really like to see Yuna Kim make a strong comeback. She's gorgeous on the ice.

eta: I think Jeremy Abbott had the choreography and 2 skates of his life at US Nats this year. He commanded the ice. I don't quite remember seeing him that much in control in the past. When he skated at Worlds it was the same ol' Jeremy! He very well may have peaked and he isn't getting any younger. I agree with the comments about the Canadian ladies. Not much there right now.

I don't think Davis and White are finished or over the hill or whatever term you want to make. They're not used to losing and that had to have smarted. I see them going hard at training this year and I expect them to do well at Sochi! They're fierce competitors.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know where anyone got the thought that Davis/White are on the way down. For one thing, ice dancers have a longer peak lifespan than other disciplines, and they're not that old. For another, they're always either a shade behind or a shade ahead of Virtue/Moir. If judges prefer V/M's style or execution or whatever, that's one thing, but these two couples are just about equal in terms of talent and capacity, aren't they?

icellist

On the Ice
I"m just hoping for everyone to skate their best and fair judging. I hope a US man can rise up and US ladies to get the 3rd spot for the Olys.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I'm hoping that Jeremy Ten has a breakthrough season this year. I thought 2010 would be Jeremy's year but he was bothered by foot problems all season and had surgery in the off-season. Last year, he broke his ankle in the summer but managed to recover enough to win the bronze medal at Canadians, but he lacked the speed and flow which made me fall in love with his skating, and his jumps were not as clean or steady as they were before his injury problems started.

Jeremy is a ballet skater with great musicality. He had a pretty reliable triple axel and he was working on a quad when the injury problems started. David Wilson is his choreographer. I'm looking forward to seeing his new programs.