Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will rise and who will fall in 2012-13?

Custom Title
    I see lots of wishful thinking in these prognostications.

Tripping on the Podium
    I am surprised no one is predicting Ross Miner to rise to the occassion this season....I think he is the one to watch in the USA

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    I see lots of wishful thinking in these prognostications.
    The good thing is that these prognostications/wishful thinking can be verified with facts later no matter their reasoning.

I will just say GPF will mark the end and beginning of cycles for many skaters whose fortunes will turn. I think Gracie belongs to those doing very well up till then.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkusNJ
    I am surprised no one is predicting Ross Miner to rise to the occassion this season....I think he is the one to watch in the USA
    OK, I say he will win Nationals bronze. He will do better in later half of this season. He may even be an US Champion in the future.

I predict Farris to win multiple US championships and future Worlds medals but he will always have Han Yan and Hanyu to contend with.

edited because I was thinking of Farris when writing about Miner.
    Last edited by SkateFiguring; 07-16-2012 at 07:32 PM.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I say good luck to all skaters. May it be a rising season for everyone, whether or not they land on the top of the podium.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    I say good luck to all skaters. May it be a rising season for everyone, whether or not they land on the top of the podium.
    I absolutely agree!

Quote Originally Posted by blue dog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I absolutely agree!
    Sounds good to me!

Custom Title
    I'm not going to make any guesses about those skaters that are returning.....there are just too many variables and it's so hard to take time off and then get back into the competitive mode. But in the US I'm going to be watching Jason Brown and Adam Rippon. Jason is still young and has been with the same coach since he was a "baby!" I would like to see him with one of the more high profile coaches. He has the ability and the flair....now he needs the maturity. I think Adam Rippon is amazing on the ice and his finish at US Nats will give him the boost he needed.

I would really like to see Yuna Kim make a strong comeback. She's gorgeous on the ice.

eta: I think Jeremy Abbott had the choreography and 2 skates of his life at US Nats this year. He commanded the ice. I don't quite remember seeing him that much in control in the past. When he skated at Worlds it was the same ol' Jeremy! He very well may have peaked and he isn't getting any younger. I agree with the comments about the Canadian ladies. Not much there right now.

I don't think Davis and White are finished or over the hill or whatever term you want to make. They're not used to losing and that had to have smarted. I see them going hard at training this year and I expect them to do well at Sochi! They're fierce competitors.
    Last edited by noskates; 07-16-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Custom Title
    Yeah, I don't know where anyone got the thought that Davis/White are on the way down. For one thing, ice dancers have a longer peak lifespan than other disciplines, and they're not that old. For another, they're always either a shade behind or a shade ahead of Virtue/Moir. If judges prefer V/M's style or execution or whatever, that's one thing, but these two couples are just about equal in terms of talent and capacity, aren't they?

Custom Title
    I"m just hoping for everyone to skate their best and fair judging. I hope a US man can rise up and US ladies to get the 3rd spot for the Olys.

Custom Title
    I'm hoping that Jeremy Ten has a breakthrough season this year. I thought 2010 would be Jeremy's year but he was bothered by foot problems all season and had surgery in the off-season. Last year, he broke his ankle in the summer but managed to recover enough to win the bronze medal at Canadians, but he lacked the speed and flow which made me fall in love with his skating, and his jumps were not as clean or steady as they were before his injury problems started.

Jeremy is a ballet skater with great musicality. He had a pretty reliable triple axel and he was working on a quad when the injury problems started. David Wilson is his choreographer. I'm looking forward to seeing his new programs.

Custom Title
    Men
    Rise: Ross Miner, Andre Rogozine, Nan Song, Joshua Farris
    Holding Steady: Daisuke Takahashi, Yuzuru Hanyu, Patrick Chan, Brian Joubert, Kevin Reynolds, Evgeni Plushenko
    Decline: Jeremy Abbott, Florent Amodio, Javier Fernandez, Adam Rippon, Tomas Verner

Ladies
    Rise: Ashley Wagner, Adelina Sotnikova, Akiko Suzuki, Elizaveta Tuktamisheva, Viktoria Helgesson, Kexin Zhang, Mao Asada, Yretha Silethe
    Holding Steady: Alena Leonova, Kanako Murakami, Amelie LaCoste, Katelyn Osmond
    Decline: Carolina Kostner, Cynthia Phaneuf, Valentina Marchei, Ksenia Makarova

Pairs
    Rise: Marley/Brubaker, Duhamel/Radford, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch, Davankova/Deputat (totally cheating here), Stolbova/Klimov (please please please)
    Holding Steady: Savchenko/Szolkowy, Voloshar/Trankov, Pang/Tong, Denney/Coughlin
    Decline: Kavaguti/Smirnov, Bazarova/Larionov, Lawrence/Sweigers, Takahashi/Tran

Dance
    Rise: Weaver/Poje, Capellini/Lannotte, Hubbell/Donohue, Riazanova/Tkachenko, Gilles/Poirier, Hurtado/Diaz
    Holding Steady: Virtue/Moir, Davis/White, Shibutanis, Bobrova/Soloviev
    Decline: Ilynikh/Katsalpov, Pechalat/Bourzat, Ralph/Hill

Custom Title
    I love J10's skating too, and his sunny optimistic personality. Unfortunately he does not even qualify for a GP event this season as he missed the minimum requirement by 0.22 points. He blew his only international event 4CC last season, which proved too hard for so many skaters.

I think he will go to a B event and do well to qualify for Worlds as a Canadian medalist.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Yan Han might make a splash in senior comps. He has the quad and triple axel nailed, plus he has amazing skating skills. He suffers considerably in the artistry and audience connection department, but it can be fixed and maybe it will be, or maybe it won't even matter depending on what the judges are smoking.

Karen Chen is another very young skater who might shake things up in the next level of competition. She's the US novice champion with the record breaking score who is going into juniors. She already has jumps that would distinguish her even among seniors: all the non-axel triples minus the flip (which she lips) and a 2axel/3toe (you can see how she racked up her record breaking novice scores). She has it all, really, minus a more mature presence. If growth spurts don't do her in she is the US' very own wonder baby.

Custom Title
    Yan is staying juniors next season, and I suspect Chinese politics will help Song more than Yan.

Always supporting skaters :) 100yen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Karen Chen is another very young skater who might shake things up in the next level of competition. She's the US novice champion with the record breaking score who is going into juniors. She already has jumps that would distinguish her even among seniors: all the non-axel triples minus the flip (which she lips) and a 2axel/3toe (you can see how she racked up her record breaking novice scores). She has it all, really, minus a more mature presence. If growth spurts don't do her in she is the US' very own wonder baby.
    Karen is truly amazing She's already excellent at the performance aspect of skating and her spins are unbelievable...just some more speed in her jumps with smooth them out and help carry them through puberty and she will be a force to be reckoned with (more than she already is)! I almost wish we could fast-forward time a few seasons But where would the fun be in that?

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast