Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast

Thread: Who will rise and who will fall in 2012-13?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by silverlake22 View Post
    Ross is a solid, consistent skater, but I personally think a lot of skaters can potentially be better, and among the top of this list are Josh Farris and Jason Brown. 2018 is most likely their time, but 2014 is not out of the realms of possibility by any means, especially for Josh where he has the 3a and has tried the 4t in competition before and posted that big number at JW last year. And then Jason is just so unique and racks up points on everything so even with just a solid 3a and no quad, could still be a threat IMO. Josh is really beautiful and I feel his skating is pretty universally appealing (clean lines, pure jump technique, he's masculine and good looking in a clean cut way, and his skating has nice classical style). Brown is more edgy and Weir-ish but most people seem to like that!
    I agree with you that Ross isn't necessarily the most naturally talented skater out there. What I like about him, though, is his strength as a competitor. Natural talent is great, but it only takes you so far. Just look at Alissa Czisny. She has tons of talent, yet can't put it together in competition. I just like the steadiness and consistency Ross has shown the last 2 years.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eyria View Post
    I agree with you that Ross isn't necessarily the most naturally talented skater out there. What I like about him, though, is his strength as a competitor. Natural talent is great, but it only takes you so far. Just look at Alissa Czisny. She has tons of talent, yet can't put it together in competition. I just like the steadiness and consistency Ross has shown the last 2 years.
    That's like Katarina Witt. What she lacked in talent, she made up for in hard work and sheer will.

Custom Title
    Sort of. Katarina Witt had other assets which include an amazing personality that transcended the ice and she was a clutch skater who used everything including intimidation (good or bad). She was the diva of the ice - the Joan Collilns or Susan Lucci on the ice. She had the stare of death which made Barbara Fusar Poli look like the good fairy

Custom Title
    I often wonder what motivates Valentina Marchei to continue? She hasn't really progressed during the years and she won't win any medals next season either. Where does she get all the money to train abroad when she doesn't have any sponsors or any probability to win prize money. Are her parents super rich or something?

Custom Title
    This is a trait that means a lot to me, too. Someone who doesn't give up and who is able to stay steady no matter what the stress is admirable. It's one of the reasons I have loved Michelle so much through the years. Of course I delighted in the quality of her skating, but her appeal was enhanced by the way she was able to push ahead and not wilt if she made one bad jump. It's exhausting loving a head case--and I know, because I'm an Alissa fan! By contrast, loving a skater who's consistent can be invigorating. That skater may not always win, but he or she will always do the best possible job. It's a trait I also admire in Plushenko.

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    I often wonder what motivates Valentina Marchei to continue? She hasn't really progressed during the years and she won't win any medals next season either. Where does she get all the money to train abroad when she doesn't have any sponsors or any probability to win prize money. Are her parents super rich or something?
    I imagine she wants to skate at the Olympics. In 2006 Silvia Fontana edged her out for a spot and in 2010 Italy could only send one skater. Also she may feel that she hasn't fulfilled her potential yet; I remember Kostner saying in an interview, a few years back when things weren't going so well, that she had things that she still wanted to achieve. I'm sure Marchei's goals are more modest, but surely she has a few...

She probably has some federation support and sponsorships. Is she affiliated with the police like other Italian skaters?

skating philosopher
    So do I. I feel a lot of people underestimate Ross because he didn't make a big splash like other skaters did.

Another thing I like about him is that him and his team have a good sense of what needs to be done.

From the Boston Globe after his surprise bronze in 2011. http://www.boston.com/sports/other_s...a_leap/?page=2
    “I was at a crossroads,’’ he said. “I can be OK and mess around in the middle or I can take it seriously. Unfortunately, sometimes I need to get kicked in the *** before I realize that a change is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I wonder if P and B can feel the pressure of the up and coming Canadians, Americans, Italians and Russians. Do they read these posts? Can they see the writing on the all or sense that the tide is turning or are a lot of us just plain wrong. I can't explain it but not that P and B are bad ice dancers I just since they are perfect for being knocked off the podium and if they aren't careful they could slip behind another American or two and a Canadian team. C and L could pass them and you never know about B and S or I and K from Russia they are both capable of moving past the French. this is a team that I might have been okay with retiring on top. I hope they don't end up like that German dance team or Israeli team - again winning that bronze could be the kiss of death..
    Even if they do go down, having the bronze is a lot better than having nothing.. plus I think people are jumping to conclusions that they're on their way down. I think it's due to Weaver and Poje's rise up the standings but Pechalat and Bourzat still rose this past year as they were never on the podium before.

Quote Originally Posted by glam View Post
    I thought she was skating better this past season than other seasons.

Rinkside
    Just because it is listed on a skaters website that they receive funding does not actually mean that they have received money. The NEASF funding is based on donations directed to a specific skater. The information is placed on the websites to encourage fans and supporters to make donations.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkateFiguring View Post
    From Joshua Farris' site:

I've read this same paragraph for at least two years and I'm guessing his training costs may have gone up. And he is still a Junior. But he probably saves on his costs because he trains in his hometown.

As I posted earlier, I envision much success for Joshua, both nationally and internationally.

Custom Title
    Alissa is very talented but let's be honest here her jumps have always been questionable at best and jumps are a major part of figure skating. Ross is very solid in ALL aspects of his skating and that coupled with his work ethic and consistency are what have enabled him to become one of the top skaters in the Nation. As for Alissa, it was always a matter of, "if she only had the jumps". However, it seems like a number of the other men, Farris and Brown in particular, also have very good work ethic and have proven they can deliver in competition when it counts (at least at the junior level) and are very solid across all areas of skating, so it will be really interesting to watch these next few years. I personally love Farris's skating and think he has the tools to become a World and Olympic medalist in the next 6 years, but a lot of others seem to find him bland and boring. Jason Brown is great too but will the 3a continue to be an issue? Dornbush is also a favorite of mine but I don't know if last season was a fluke or what we can expect from him from now on. Then Keegan is awesome but his consistency or lack thereof is worrisome too...It will certainly be interesting to watch!
    Last edited by silverlake22; 07-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I wish I could definitively say Jason Brown is on the rise. But until I know for sure he's got the 3 axel and/or quad down, I'm afraid it's a big ol' question mark for one of my favorite skaters. Without those vital jumps, at best he can hope to replicate some of his success in juniors, and forget about podiuming in seniors.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    I wish I could definitively say Jason Brown is on the rise. But until I know for sure he's got the 3 axel and/or quad down, I'm afraid it's a big ol' question mark for one of my favorite skaters. Without those vital jumps, at best he can hope to replicate some of his success in juniors, and forget about podiuming in seniors.
    Jason will compete in senior GP in next season? I like him.
    Last edited by plushyfan; 07-20-2012 at 03:49 AM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I believe Jason will do juniors internationally, seniors nationally.

However, he tried the 3A in both programs at a small summer competition earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    This is a trait that means a lot to me, too. Someone who doesn't give up and who is able to stay steady no matter what the stress is admirable. It's one of the reasons I have loved Michelle so much through the years. Of course I delighted in the quality of her skating, but her appeal was enhanced by the way she was able to push ahead and not wilt if she made one bad jump. It's exhausting loving a head case--and I know, because I'm an Alissa fan! By contrast, loving a skater who's consistent can be invigorating. That skater may not always win, but he or she will always do the best possible job. It's a trait I also admire in Plushenko.
    Another big supporter of Ross Miner here! He's @ Liberty this week, and will skate his short program today & free tomorrow!

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 LastLast