The Poster Formerly Known As God | Golden Skate

The Poster Formerly Known As God

giseledepkat

Rinkside
Okay, I've decided to say my piece about this recent turmoil about the "Poster Formerly Known As God." I'm not trying to offend anybody, but I think I have a different perspective than was aired on the previous thread (now locked in the Archives section) and I want to air it and also ask for clarification from the moderators.

My father moved from Wisconsin to live with me (I'm in Seattle) 6 weeks ago, suffering from congestive heart failure. The doctors said that he could live for as long as 6 months, so that is what I had my heart set on. I loved him so much, and I loved taking care of him. But he died, suddenly, on December 21. The good things are; he died at home, and he died in my arms. And he died less than one hour after receiving Holy Communion in the home. The last thing he ate was communion wafer; the last thing he drank was communion wine. This is tremendously consoling to me.

The reason that I'm sharing this with all of you is to say; I'm a religious person. God, and the concept of "God" are important to me.

I didn't visit GS for a few days after my father's death, but when I did come back, one of the first threads I checked out had several posts by a new GS member who had chosen the username "God". And I laughed so hard! It really loosened something up in me; the incredible conceit of calling oneself God, and playing that role, struck me as utterly inspired. I found the posts in question, that offended a number of other members, to be playful, lighthearted and informed, with just the right dash of snarkiness. The thought that we at Golden Skate would have our own Higher Power was, to me, delightful! Not for one moment did I confuse the poster named "God" with the real thing.

So I guess I just would like to know from the Administrators, why the decision was made to make this new member change his (her?) username. Were there many complaints? Did others have a chance to weigh in?

Oh, and one more thing -- Bored and Lonely? WELCOME TO GOLDEN SKATE!!!

Last edited:
Speaking for myself, as one moderator, and forum curmudgeon, I found the username an eyebrow raiser but the acting out as implied by the writing to be a 'hoot'.

However, it was sometime before PMs with complaints came in. I had expected them sooner. Instead, the discussion pro and con of the questionable name took on its own debate sans moderators. Finally, one legitimate complaint came in and action was taken.

For anyone's information, none of the questionable username postings have been deleted, just the username has been changed. Whether it is Richard Backman or Stephen King, the writings are the same.

Giseledepkat - My deepest sympathies go out to you on the death of your beloved father, and much praise to you for all your caring during the period of his illness.

Joesitz

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Giseledepkat - I'm sorry for the loss of your father.

There's a fine line between acceptable and unacceptable in this whole "God" case. As Christian I can see where it offended. I just chose to steer clear of the posts

However every moderator looked at this situation carefully and I think we all made the right decision.

Paula has a funny way of taking care of "troll names" if you ask me ;)

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Gisele........my heart goes out to you on the loss of your beloved father.....I've been there......

As to God now being Bored and Lonely...........a rose by any other name........:) Welcome to GS..........42

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
Gisele, I am so sorry about the loss of your father. My prayers are with you. I am so glad you have the memories of his last days and were there for him.
I hadn't said anything to anyone but I was really flabber-
gasted to think that someone had the audacity to call themself God. After all, there are some things in the Bible about calling yourself God and it is a sin. (my opinion - and God's)

CassidyL

Rinkside
Re: Why not

giseledepkat- my deepest condolences on the loss of your father. And how wonderful that he was able to recieve the sacraments before he passed. I too would have taken great comfort in that.

That is really what I have been always taught about religion and God. That it is a deep, comforting connection between this world and the next. It is about joy and love and goodness. When I was in grade school, I went to a private catholic school, we were taught Bible passages as songs, I guess it was easier for little kids to remember. But they were always about peace and love, and kindness. Never about hate and intolerence. So that is what God is to me. Peace and love.

It's sad to me know that it seems so many people's idea about God and religion is about hate and intolerence and judgement. Isn't there only one judge? What has happened that now the title "Christian" has come to be claimed by haters and bigots. I don't know, it is all so sad.

thisthingcalledlove said:
change your name to Yahweh or Jehovah? Or even...Allah!

I somehow sense there wouldn't have been such an uproar.

Last edited:

Pookie

Final Flight
My deepest sympathy to you in the loss of your father.

change your name to Yahweh or Jehovah?

Those are other names for God.

How about Baal or Dagon? That would be more like it.

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Isn't there only one judge? What has happened that now the title "Christian" has come to be claimed by haters and bigots. I don't know, it is all so sad.

I have a good feeling if you knew just where I stood on religious principles that I no doubt would end up falling under that category. But then again I don't see how that's any different that the Moslum or Jewish faiths as they also have strict laws on divorce/sex/homosexuality.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by thisthingcalledlove
change your name to Yahweh or Jehovah? Or even...Allah!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I somehow sense there wouldn't have been such an uproar.

Actually I think there would have been. This board is not just about "one religion." We all have our own beliefs, and Paula and the mods understand that. We try and be as fair as possible.

CassidyL

Rinkside
Tonichelle said:
This board is not just about "one religion."

Oh, thank you. I guess that is where some of the confusion lies. I didn't realize this board was about any religion. I thought this board was about figure skating.

My apologies.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
Can we leave religion AND God out of it???

I too am sorry for the loss of your father, giseledepkat. I have not yet felt the loss of a parent, and can't imagine how difficult that must be.

This board is about Figure Skating (at least that's my impression) and NOT religion. Which is one of the reasons why I objected to posts by someone claiming the name of God, and writing AS God. That is offensive to some people, and has nothing to do with Figure Skating. Just like it would be offensive if someone bashed another poster, or a skater for being White, Black, Jewish, Muslim, Gay, Hispanic, Democratic, Republican, etc. and so forth. There are Figure Skating fans here who I am sure can identify (or not) with a very long list of other life things having nothing to do with Skating. Why should a Figure Skating forum contain anything that is grossly offensive to any group on a completely irrelevant topic?

For those who are religious, here is why this was offensive to some people. (me included)

blasphemy

\Blas"phe*my\, n. [L. blasphemia, Gr. ?: cf. OF. blasphemie.] 1. An indignity offered to God in words, writing, or signs; impiously irreverent words or signs addressed to, or used in reference to, God; speaking evil of God; also, the act of claiming the attributes or prerogatives of deity.

Leviticus 24:16 - "and he who blasphemes the Name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certianly stone him; the stranger as well as he who was born in the land shall be put to death when he blashphemes the Name of the Lord."

To reply to a post by someone calling themselves God, and speaking as though they ARE God with disagreement would be considered blasphemy by some people who are seriously religious. Why create that discomfort level for some percentage of the community when it's not a relevant topic here?

I am satisfied with the solution of the name change to Bored and Lonely. I personally will have no problem interacting with that person since I will no longer need to address that individual as "God."

I hope that is a fair compromise for everyone here, regardless of beliefs outside the Figure Skating realm.

I thank the moderators for responding with what for me anyway, is a comfortable resolution to the issue.

Respectfully,

Doggygirl

CassidyL

Rinkside
Oh my goodness! (no pun intended) :eek: I just found out who this poster in question is. I am familiar with him from the MKF.

He is soooo funny! I sure hope he continues to post. Oh, and why not go back to his original user name? ;)

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
CassidyL said:
Oh, thank you. I guess that is where some of the confusion lies. I didn't realize this board was about any religion. I thought this board was about figure skating.

My apologies.

that was my point. :rolleye:

Piel

On Edge
Record Breaker
(Toni, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

I think what Toni meant was the board respects everyone's religions or lack of equally.

GS guidelines state:

The forum is a place where you should be able to voice your opinions and ideas without offending others. This is called tact - the ability to appreciate the delicacy of a situation and to do or say the kindest or most fitting thing.

And....

Also, it is important to remember that there are many members from different cultural environments. As a result, some posts can be misperceived. Use good judgment when posting and replying to posts.

IMO if someone says they are offended they shouldn't have to defend that. Religion is very personal and interpreted differently by everyone. Just because those offended may be in the minority doesn't make what offended them any less offensive to them. We have not tried to force our beliefs on anyone. We just ask that what we believe not be ridiculed.

Piel

Re: Can we leave religion AND God out of it???

Doggygirl said:
Leviticus 24:16 - "and he who blasphemes the Name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certianly stone him; the stranger as well as he who was born in the land shall be put to death when he blashphemes the Name of the Lord."

Respectfully,

Doggygirl
Doggygirl, forgive me, but now my curiosity is truly aroused. Do you believe that it is the will of God that His congregation stone people to death who disrespect His holy name?

This passage goes on (Leviticus 24:20) "Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth:" and concludes (Leviticus 24:23), "And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the Lord commanded Moses."

To me, respecting the name of God is one thing. But calling upon the congregation of the righteous to murder people who feel differently -- that's Al Qaeda territory.

Mathman

Last edited:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Taking one verse and using it to get confused is taking the passage out of context.

This was from the Old Testament, so really you should ask those of the Jewish faith how they handle this passage. Jesus Christ (New Testament) came to fulfill the prophicies and the Law. Part of fulfilling the law was basically to make the rules easier to understand, but at the same time some of them became even harder to follow (ie "do not murder" = to even think evil about someone you've comitted murder in your heart) The Jews do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah, so I don't know what they do now with the Levitical laws.

Doggygirl

Record Breaker
No, I do not believe "eye for an eye"

at the hand of the people. I do believe this passage points out that blasphemy is wrong, assuming one buys into biblical teachings. Do you disagree?

I stand by what I said earlier - that a poster calling him(her) self God, and speaking though he/she is God was offenssive to me and I'm sure to others. And I appreciate the actions the moderators took to change the user name of this poster.

Thanks,
DG

giseledepkat

Rinkside
Can we all sing Kumbaya now?

Doggygirl said:
To reply to a post by someone calling themselves God, and speaking as though they ARE God with disagreement would be considered blasphemy by some people who are seriously religious. Why create that discomfort level for some percentage of the community when it's not a relevant topic here?

Doggygirl, I appreciate this part of your post, because it acknowledges that blasphemy can have different meanings to different religious folks. I never had any intention of sparking a religious debate here, so I won't counter with my definition of blasphemy -- I'll just admit to y'all that I'm a liberal Episcopalian, and let you draw your own conclusions! ;)

Really, all I wanted to do was share my own experience around these posts, so that Bored and Lonely might know that even some religious folks might appreciate his quirky sense of humor.

Also, I guess I was sad and lonely facing the New Year without my father, and sharing that story made me feel closer to him. Thank you, everyone, for your kind words of condolence!

Maybe we can consider the matter closed? :)

Happy New Year, GSers! -- Pennie

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have to say that while it might seem funny if it is that who we think it is, I'm not amused at all...

otherwise this person will have gotten my cold shoulder for being at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong type of name ;)

I'm not saying that's why the mods took action. I'm just saying personally that's what I'm feeling.

It's done been closed ;) LOL