Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Poster Formerly Known As God

Re: Can we leave religion AND God out of it???

Originally posted by Doggygirl
    Leviticus 24:16 - "and he who blasphemes the Name of the Lord, he shall surely be put to death, and all the congregation shall certianly stone him; the stranger as well as he who was born in the land shall be put to death when he blashphemes the Name of the Lord."

Respectfully,

Doggygirl
    Doggygirl, forgive me, but now my curiosity is truly aroused. Do you believe that it is the will of God that His congregation stone people to death who disrespect His holy name?

This passage goes on (Leviticus 24:20) "Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth:" and concludes (Leviticus 24:23), "And Moses spake to the children of Israel, that they should bring forth him that had cursed out of the camp, and stone him with stones. And the children of Israel did as the Lord commanded Moses."

To me, respecting the name of God is one thing. But calling upon the congregation of the righteous to murder people who feel differently -- that's Al Qaeda territory.

Mathman
    Last edited by Mathman; 01-02-2004 at 04:17 PM.

Taking one verse and using it to get confused is taking the passage out of context.

This was from the Old Testament, so really you should ask those of the Jewish faith how they handle this passage. Jesus Christ (New Testament) came to fulfill the prophicies and the Law. Part of fulfilling the law was basically to make the rules easier to understand, but at the same time some of them became even harder to follow (ie "do not murder" = to even think evil about someone you've comitted murder in your heart) The Jews do not believe that Jesus is the Messiah, so I don't know what they do now with the Levitical laws.

Keeper of La Khok's Tutus Doggygirl's Avatar

No, I do not believe "eye for an eye"

at the hand of the people. I do believe this passage points out that blasphemy is wrong, assuming one buys into biblical teachings. Do you disagree?

I stand by what I said earlier - that a poster calling him(her) self God, and speaking though he/she is God was offenssive to me and I'm sure to others. And I appreciate the actions the moderators took to change the user name of this poster.

Thanks,
    DG

Tripping on the Podium

Can we all sing Kumbaya now?

Originally posted by Doggygirl
    To reply to a post by someone calling themselves God, and speaking as though they ARE God with disagreement would be considered blasphemy by some people who are seriously religious. Why create that discomfort level for some percentage of the community when it's not a relevant topic here?
    Doggygirl, I appreciate this part of your post, because it acknowledges that blasphemy can have different meanings to different religious folks. I never had any intention of sparking a religious debate here, so I won't counter with my definition of blasphemy -- I'll just admit to y'all that I'm a liberal Episcopalian, and let you draw your own conclusions!

Really, all I wanted to do was share my own experience around these posts, so that Bored and Lonely might know that even some religious folks might appreciate his quirky sense of humor.

Also, I guess I was sad and lonely facing the New Year without my father, and sharing that story made me feel closer to him. Thank you, everyone, for your kind words of condolence!

Maybe we can consider the matter closed?

Happy New Year, GSers! -- Pennie

I have to say that while it might seem funny if it is that who we think it is, I'm not amused at all...

otherwise this person will have gotten my cold shoulder for being at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong type of name

I'm not saying that's why the mods took action. I'm just saying personally that's what I'm feeling.

It's done been closed LOL

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2