Other Canadian competitions (Minto, Prairie Skate, Wild Rose, etc) | Golden Skate

Other Canadian competitions (Minto, Prairie Skate, Wild Rose, etc)

geoskate

On the Ice
There's several Canadian competitions coming up which perhaps don't need their own thread but certainly should be mentioned.

Firstly, Minto Summer Skate August 2-5. The roster for the competition has been published, as well as the schedule.

Other competitions that should be posting their flight lists soon are:

1. Wild Rose in Leduc, Alberta, August 3-5. Cutoff date for registration was July 13th.

2. Prairie Skate in Moose Jaw, Sasikatchewan, August 10-12. Cutoff for registration is today.

3. Summer Sizzle in Waterloo, Ontario, August 10-12. Cutoff for registration was July 10th.

geoskate

On the Ice
Skaters registered at Minto include:

1, In junior women, Julianne Seguin (junior bronze medallist last season) and Alaine Chartrand (9th in seniors at 2012 Canadians, skating junior here).

2. In junior men, Nicolas Beaudoin (9th in junior at 2012 Canadians).

3. In senior women, Alaine Chartrand again (yes, she's listed in both junior and senior), Roxanne Cournoyer (4th at 2012 Canadians in junior) and Eri Nishimura (a former Canadian junior champion).

4. In senior men, Charles Dion (12th at 2012 Canadians), Maxime-Billy Fortin (10th at 2012 Canadians), Nam Nguyen (7th at 2012 Canadians in senior, but eligible for JGP this season) and Paolo Bonifacio Parkinson (previously known as Paul Parkinson; he represents Italy internationally).

5. In junior dance, there are ten dance teams, which I think is down a bit from last season. Teams include Poulin/Servant (2012 Canadian junior champions), Bent/MacKeen (4th at 2012 Canadians), Collins/Seymour (2012 Canadian novice champions), Desveaux/Rezgulajevs (2012 Canadian novice silver medallists) and Glavine/Hough (2012 Canadian novice bronze medallists).

There are only two senior dance teams, however.

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
Flights and schedule have been posted for the Wild Rose competition which will take place in Leduc, Alberta on August 3-5.

The most notable skater registered is Kaetlyn Osmond in senior women.

Buglady

Spectator
And for the first time....this year the events at Wildrose will be live streamed (on the Sobey's arena) which means we'll get to see Kaetlyn's short program! Yeah!

Buglady

Spectator
I'm not sure yet, they haven't shared the details of the live stream yet with participants...they've only said that the live stream is happening with more details to come. I can post that info when we know :)

hohoho

On the Ice
I believe the event is broadcast on ustream same as sectionals last year. Would be interesting to see Kaetlyns new programs.

geoskate

On the Ice
Thanks for the explanation, hohoho. Closer to the event, could one of you please post instructions for this? I'm not familiar with ustream, and didn't know that sectionals were streamed on ustream last season - something I would certainly have einjoyed watching.

Buglady

Spectator
I believe the event is broadcast on ustream same as sectionals last year. Would be interesting to see Kaetlyns new programs.

Yes this is correct. They havn't provided a link but a search of Wildrose Invitational ABNWTNWT should help in finding the live stream.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Also for Minto.. In Jr . Dance ,I'll be curious to see how Cyr/ Brisebois do . I thought they stood out as having potential last year...And it will be first look time for Marrow / Mulder.

geoskate

On the Ice
Entries for Prairie Skate are up. This competition takes place August 10-12 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

Kaleigh Hole is competing in senior women. While I'm glad to see that she's continuing to skate, even as a singles skater, I hope that at some time in the next year she can find a pairs partner.

geoskate

On the Ice
They havn't provided a link but a search of Wildrose Invitational ABNWTNWT should help in finding the live stream.

Thanks. That's helpful.

A question though: Why wouldn't information like this be posted on the website for the Alberta/NWT/Nunuvat section, under 'news' or something like that? Does the section want to keep it a secret? The only reason most of us found out is because Buglady posted the information. It seems to me that the section should be publicizing this as much as possible as a means of increasing interest in skating in the province.

Or perhaps I'm being impatient, and they will actually post the information about the live streaming this coming week.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... Closer to the event, could one of you please post instructions for this? I'm not familiar with ustream, and didn't know that sectionals were streamed on ustream last season - something I would certainly have einjoyed watching.

In case this helps, the Skatebuzz page on Ustream is: http://www.ustream.tv/user/Skatebuzz
The menu of channels at the right side of the page does not (yet) list Wild Rose streaming, but maybe it will show up by Friday?

(BTW, the Ustream channel for AB/NWT/NUN Sectionals has archived videos from Nov 2011: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/alberta-sectionals-2011)

Other competitions that should be posting their flight lists soon are:

... 3. Summer Sizzle in Waterloo, Ontario, August 10-12. Cutoff for registration was July 10th.

2012 Summer Sizzle Invitational
- Skater flights and confirmations: http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/competitions/12sizzleconf.pdf
- Schedule http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/competitions/12sizzlesch.pdf

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Wild Rose Invitational live stream, Aug 3 - 5

And for the first time....this year the events at Wildrose will be live streamed (on the Sobey's arena) which means we'll get to see Kaetlyn's short program! Yeah!

How will we access that on the internet? Is that through Skatebuzz?

Direct link to the Wild Rose page on Ustream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wild-rose-invitational-2012

Also, "Live streaming footage can be accessed through www.skateabnwtnun.ca" -- according to the press release at the link below:
http://www.skateabnwtnun.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=W4eTIE9qMZI=&tabid=18371&language=en-US
(My guess is that this road also will lead to the Ustreaming.)

In post #4 of this thread, geoskate already provided links to the flights and schedule.
A link to Friday start orders - as well as those previous links - are on this page: http://www.skateabnwtnun.com/en-us/competitions/20122013season.aspx

Last edited:

geoskate

On the Ice
Or perhaps I'm being impatient, and they will actually post the information about the live streaming this coming week.

I was being too impatient.

Thanks, golden411, for posting all this information.

geoskate

On the Ice
Results page for Minto Summer Skate is up. I haven't checked the schedule to see exactly how current it is, but there's quite a bit there already.

Julianne Seguin apparently skated very well in the short program, with a 3F and 3LZ combo. Hopefully she follows it up with a strong long program. She seems prepared for her JGP assignment. Alaine Chartrand, on the other hand, seems to be struggling with her jumps at the moment, although she still has a month to get them in order for the JGP at Lake Placid.

geoskate

On the Ice
Live streaming of the Wild Rose competition (Sobey's rink) is at http://www.ustream.tv/channel/wild-rose-invitational-2012.

For reference, the schedule is here. The junior short programs have already taken place and are archived. Right now there are some juvenile competitions taking place, followed by some novice competions. The senior ladies short program starts at 9:15 local time (11:15 PM EST).

Unfortunately it looks like the senior free skates and junior womens' free skates tomorrow will be in an arena which will not be covered by the streaming. However, this is a great start at streaming from Alberta!

Last edited:

hohoho

On the Ice
Results are up for Wildrose. Not much happening on the Junior Women side, but Kaetlyn Osmond improved her marks from Detroit to just under 150 with lots of marks to get.