Kurt Browning Interview | Golden Skate

Kurt Browning Interview

Oh, thanks so much! It reminds me why I adore Kurt above just about all other skaters. To paraphrase Shakespeare (and switch genders), age cannot wither nor custom dim his infinite variety. And the photos! Every one of them radiates with his energy. Don't you love that his favorite physical training regimen is making rock walls....

Tonichelle, are you there? You're not going to want to miss this one.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Olympia, I smiled at his rock wall building too. I too love rock wall and have a very old newspaper clipping of an article with pictures about a rock wall builder, dreaming of one of my own one day, in the country of course. I had not thought of it as a strength training body building exercise before but duh!

Love love love King Kurt. And always respect his opinions.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I follow his official facebook that Teenes runs (along with The Kurt Files, which I think is still an unofficial site) and saw this link the other day. Haven't had a chance to read part 2 yet.

Good to see you here, Toni!

I miss a lot by not being on Facebook...I just don't trust it yet. I'm slow about these things.

It's fascinating to me what Kurt seems to envision for his future. Like Kurt himself, I don't think it would be practical or rewarding for him to be a full-tiime choreographer. To me he's such an interesting mix of disciplined/hardworking (he'd have to be, to keep skating this well into his forties) and non-regimented. There's a gadfly quality to him that adds to his appeal but that would keep him from doing the same thing day in and day out. He needs a mix, and if actually skating should leave that mix, he'd need something to replace it.

I'd love to hear what you two, SF and Toni, have to say about this, as well as all you other GS Kurt fans.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I've always had this dream of having an "all figure skating" tv network, and if so Kurt'd be at the helm lol not just with commentary but he'd have his own talk show. I could TOTALLY see him doing something like that...

Details, details.

I was hoping that no one would give a rational answer....

By the way, and not entirely unrelated to these comments, I realized today how glad I am that Kurt is Canadian. On one side, I'm glad he's from an English-speaking country so I don't miss out on a smidgeon of his coverage. On another side, it's all for the better that he's not from the U.S. We have such loud team sports, and so many of them. Skating would get lost in the shuffle. In Canada, which is aligned toward winter sports, skating takes its proper place near the top of the heap, and that's where Kurt deserves to be--in the main spotlight. I know that skating isn't as supreme in Canada as it is in, say, Japan or South Korea, but it's plenty prominent. Kurt gets to be a national hero, and I say bravo. It benefits all of us, not just Canadians. Thanks for sharing him with the world, Canada!

noskates

Record Breaker
My ALL-TIME favorite figure skater. Class personified. Every time I hear that high, screechy voice of Scott Hamilton announcing competitions I yearn for Kurt. The few times he did the commentary he was soooooooooo good. Didn't sugarcoat anything and was just technical enough to be interesting.

Great interview.

p.s. I like Scott Hamilton alot - just don't like to hear him!!!!

Teenes

On the Ice
Oh yay, I'm glad someone linked my article here, and that you guys enjoyed it. Thanks, SkateFiguring!

I miss a lot by not being on Facebook...I just don't trust it yet. I'm slow about these things.

Not to sit here being all self-promotional, but if you want to follow Kurt news, you can also follow me on Twitter (@Kurtfiles), check my site www.kurtfiles.com periodically (yes, it's still unofficial, or "unofficially official", Toni - Kurt's not much interested in having an official site), or join my Kurt Browning mailing list. The Facebook, Twitter, website, and mailing list don't get exactly the same content, though I try to update all 4 most of the time, but all news will go on all four.

It's fascinating to me what Kurt seems to envision for his future. Like Kurt himself, I don't think it would be practical or rewarding for him to be a full-tiime choreographer. To me he's such an interesting mix of disciplined/hardworking (he'd have to be, to keep skating this well into his forties) and non-regimented. There's a gadfly quality to him that adds to his appeal but that would keep him from doing the same thing day in and day out. He needs a mix, and if actually skating should leave that mix, he'd need something to replace it.

I will confess that when I asked him the question about choreography, I was surprised at the answer, since it seemed a fairly logical direction for him to go in. But after more thought, I realized it did make sense, and there really was no need for him to commit full task to any one job anyway. As you say, I think he's not the type to do just one thing every day, but likes to have his fingers in a lot of pies and be doing a lot of different, challenging, and creative things. Hence teaching seminars and not coaching, being a consulting or one-off choreographer, but not a full-time choreographer, etc. Commentary isn't a full time job, and neither is Stars on Ice, although he is fully committed to both.

And yes, despite the fact that I'm American, I'm glad he's Canadian too ;). Means more coverage for all of us, since skating is so much bigger in Canada, and therefore there are more interviews, shows, etc.

Thanks for your insights, and for doing the article in the first place. When next you contact him, tell him we send our best. (I'm fairly sure I speak for just about all of us on GS!)

Dragonlady

Final Flight
It has always been my fondest hope that Kurt would take up coaching. I've watched him work with kids when my daughter skated at summer camp at the Granite Club and he was amazing. The kids lit up when Kurt was around and watching his interactions with the kids, all I could think of what a great coach he'd make. My daughter said Kurt taught her how to do her spread eagle, and helped her with her axel, even though he was not a coach at the camp. Kurt practiced at the Granite two or three times a week that summer and his practice time coincided with the time my daughter's group ate lunch in the rinkside cafe. By the end of the summer, my daughter had a mega-crush on Kurt and it wasn't hard to see why.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I think Kurt knows his limits. Camps are a little different than day in and day out (which I'm sure you know). Considering he likes to do so many other things, coaching would probably become tedious, I would think. And frustrating when the student couldn't get something right and Kurt couldn't figure out why.

That being said I think everyone on here knows just how and why I feel the way I do about Kurt... :love:

That's something you and I share, Toni! Kurt is the top cat for me, now and forever. But I agree with you. I don't see him as the coach type. That's a special set of skills that Kurt probably isn't interested in developing. For one thing, he's obviously not the kind of person who enjoys doing the same thing day after day. He's also at a stage of life where his main inner energies are probably devoted to his family, not to young students. But if he can drop in and give skaters the benefit of his advice and talents, that's a splendid way for him to pass along what he knows. The fact that he isn't coaching regularly also leaves enough of his energy so that he can share himself with fans by television commentating, appearing in shows, and the like.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Lots of skaters turn to coaching because they want to stay in skating, don't have a great education, as they sacrificed that to grab the ring in competition. Kurt can do anything, as he has had a very long lucrative pro career. He made big bucks in the SOI heyday doing US, Canada, and then Asian tours. I am sure he has invested wisely. The post whack skaters owe Tonya big time. I know she had a choice to do right or wrong. It still is tragic what she could have achieved with more believers around you.

I often think of the gender gap. Scott and Kurt can look, well, bald and cute as they have talent and Scott has a huge personality. Kurt has become a personality as well as footworker supreme. I think you see more former skaters who are women go for coaching little ones. Although, the top coaches seem to be more men...Frank, Brian, Tom, Nikolai. For top women, there seems to be a matter of a few less. Does Sarah's old coach do much these days? There is Tat of course at the top, Moskvina. I wonder if top male coaches and female coaches make the same per hour? I think women have more patience for teaching little ones. Maybe Kurt will dabble in elite coaching in a few years if a Yuna Kim walks in the door. That was lucky for Orser to win a gold medal at coaching so early in his career. Look how long it took Frank to get a old with Evan.

Well, coaches who provide the basics of these champions are the unsung heros. Frank (and Lori) are so responsible for MK's success. Frank is an old fashioned guy who learned from Maribel Owens, and he really took raw talent and made it into a work of art with Lori of course. Luck plus hard work. I think so many coaches do not get recognition nor the money as they toil 10 years or more to develop an elite skater. For those in the know, it might be an interesting thread, where we learn which coaches worked with top skaters when they were babies. It takes a lot of love, devotion and patience. To al the unsung coaches who toil every day in cold rinks, with golden hearts, I salute you.

I wonder speaking of coaches why R Callaghan is never seen at the boards with some skater? He was Tara's coach. I remember there were allegations but literally don't recall why, when, where, legit or not. I think Todd does some coaching with him in Fla, but how and why did he fall off the map? And of course, only substantiated answers should apply.

But back to Kurt, he has been splendid, and what he can do on hockey skates, most guys can't do on figure skates. As Tina Turner sang "You're simply the best, better than all the rest." Gold medal, gold schmedal. Kurt has no peer.

Last edited:
Kurt has a special gold medal, anyway. One of my favorite skating moments of all time is that time after 1994 when fans contributed jewelry and had it melted down into a gold maple leaf for Kurt. Completely deserved by Kurt both as a skater and as a man.

I agree with you, skateluvr, that we owe those hardworking basic coaches so much. When I see the failures of solid early technique in otherwise talented skaters, such as Zhang, I realize how crucial good early coaching is. You mentioned Frank and Lori. Michelle was coached by them at least since the age of twelve, which means that they had a lot to do with her meticulous technique. I remember reading that when CoP began, the technical advisors trained by watching ideal examples. I seem to remember that Michelle was one that they used for blade skills. (I'm sure they used Kurt Browning and Yuka Sato too!)

The kind of day-to-day work needed to cultivate that technique in a skater, endlessly refining the tiniest elements of form, takes a certain temperament. Not everyone can do it. I think Kurt has other skills (formidable ones!) and interests, but at this point, daily coaching isn't one of them.