Project Runway Alert: It starts Thursday 7/19 | Golden Skate

Project Runway Alert: It starts Thursday 7/19

There's a prequel where they show the auditions, and the main show is on at 9 P.M. Eastern time, on Lifetime. Is anyone else planning to watch?

heyang

Record Breaker
The Tivo's recording both , but I'll probably just delete the Meet the Designers episode. I watched part of it and it wasn't or much interest.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I watched both & not seeing the Meet the Designers was a no brainer. I wasted an hour on it. I am very impressed by Ven's designs, color choices & apparently he is skilled at sewing techniques. Tho't he should have won.

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am very impressed by Ven's designs, color choices & apparently he is skilled at sewing techniques. Tho't he should have won.

I like his designs too but I know that something will happen with him so I try not to get too excited.

heyang

Record Breaker
Is Ven the one who had the top that looked like a red rose? I really liked his work, too.

However, I think Christopher won because of how he converted the fabric that Nina(?) called ugly into a beautiful dress. One of the guest judges (former Gilmore Girl) said that you couldn't really see the detail on the black dress on camera.

Of the 2 ladies in the bottom, I also thought they sent the wrong one home.

I thought that dress with the ruffly fabric moved gorgeously when the model walked, and I wasn't disappointed that he won, though I liked Ven's outfits also.

Interesting that suddenly all the judges were complaining about black. Maybe that means that this year we'll see more colors. Good! I love colors. Although that one woman who designed very Parisian clothing all in black for her audition was pretty impressive. I hope that her inspiration doesn't desert her if she has to use, say, navy blue instead.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Do you think that Andrea quit because Christopher was so disappointed in their design and basically blamed her or why do you think she left??? I wasn't really impressed with what she did and she is supposed to be a fashion school instructor. Who is the other person that is supposedly leaving?? I thought Kooan just because he doesn't seem to enjoy the process. I don't understand what he thought he was going to be doing.

Here is a list of the designers.
http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-10/designers

heyang

Record Breaker
Looks like the 3rd 'quitter' was a red herring. I don't think Andrea quit because of Christopher. I think she just realized that she had the same competitive fire as the others. She may have just gone for a walk to think things through and decided to go home, instead of having to 'quit' in front of everyone else.

Whil Kooan was certainly unique, I would've been surprised if he had made it to the end.

Right now I like Christopher and I like Ven's work overall. Gunnar annoys me.

I watched the episode. Andrea was a shock, because one would think that a mature person would have had another way of making such a decision. I wasn't so surprised about Kooan. He's one of those touchy-feely types who would feel very much out of place in such a driven atmosphere. One of the designers--was it Sonji?--said that her dream is to have a centrally located shop like the flagship store Michael Kors was showing off in that episode. Well, that's a business enterprise, not just a venue for creating fashion art. I can't imagine Kooan having a goal like that. He just wants to come up with his designs and make beautiful art. He wouldn't even see the point of half-killing himself for a win on this show. Business opportunities probably aren't even on his radar screen.

Christopher and Ven are wonderful. I was happy that Sonji won this time, though. Her dress was gorgeous. And was it Christopher who designed the dress with the jacket? That was awesome as well.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Right now I like Christopher and I like Ven's work overall. Gunnar annoys me.

I like Ven, Christopher, Dmitry and Sonjia's work right now.

Gunnar annoys me as well.

One of the things I was so shocked at was the material that Andrea & Christopher chose. I think it was some type of jersey. I do some sewing and while jersey is wonderful it is a total pain to work with. It almost has to be basted before ...otherwise it stretches and slips and slides and is just a pain. If Andrea was a teacher I think she should have known materials just a little better. I could see where it took her so much time to cut and sew it.

I agree. Jersey can be lethal. It practically dances as you're cutting it.

Also, I though I know that this show is a high-stress pressure cooker, so it's hard to retain one's poise, someone with Andrea's experience should realize that if her partner has a meltdown in front of Heidi and the other judges, she shouldn't take it personally. But who knows how any of us would react under such circumstances. Golly, they should have a therapist on call backstage at that show!

Apparently Tim Gunn appeared on one of the night shows, and he said that a lot of the designers this season were taken by surprise at the extent of the pressure. He said he asked them if they'd ever seen the show, and one or two of them said, "Yes, but we thought you were exaggerating the time situation, and that we actually had a week to complete each project." Gunn said he had to explain that no, they get the assignment one morning, and next day they're displaying it on the runway to Heidi. Yipes--reality bites!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Apparently Tim Gunn appeared on one of the night shows, and he said that a lot of the designers this season were taken by surprise at the extent of the pressure. He said he asked them if they'd ever seen the show, and one or two of them said, "Yes, but we thought you were exaggerating the time situation, and that we actually had a week to complete each project." Gunn said he had to explain that no, they get the assignment one morning, and next day they're displaying it on the runway to Heidi. Yipes--reality bites!

Well, that explains a lot. I guess it doesn't make sense to audition for a show you know nothing about. I agree about the therapist or you can handle things like Elena Slivnyak and just curse at everyone.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ven, I knew it , I knew something was going to come up about him....what a snob. Do you remember when Christian Syriano had a hard time with plus size too. The only thing I wonder is whether they have a hard time with plus size or the input from the client??? Tadashi Shoji designed Octavia Spencer's dress for the academy awards and as a plus size person she looked magnifiscent.

http://www.zimbio.com/Octavia+Spenc...ov/Photos+Octavia+Spencer+Flawless+Oscar+2012

Yes, I was disappointed with Venn speaking that way. Imagine turning to a woman and saying loudly, "Well, we can't use these belts because none of them are big enough for you. And I tried all of them." (Or words to that effect.) Actually, I think it was Gunnar who did rather well in terms of customer rapport here.

I remember Christian Siriano having that difficulty with the girl, but in his defense I think part of it was his lack of experience out in the world--he was just 21 that year and had spent his teen years working in ateliers with the likes of Vivienne Westwood--and his young client's rather forceful personality. Her size wasn't as relevant as her temperament, I think.

Venn is a fashion designer for certain particular reasons, I imagine, that have to do with the beauty of the clothes themselves and of women who will wear them. I'm not sure he really thinks of designing as a service occupation, which is something you need to have or develop if you want to deal with the world. He doesn't want clients: he wants muses, the likes of Nan Kempner (who was very tall and was I think the original person who was called a "social X-ray." Or Daphne Guinness, who is both an heiress and a gorgeous clothes horse. Ordinary souls such as thee and me would (if we won the lottery) go to the likes of Rami Kashou to have a design made. His object is to make a woman beautiful with his clothes, not merely to look for the most beautiful woman to display them.

Do you remember watching the series where Austin Scarlett and Santino Rice went to different working-class communities and made a dress for a woman? It was a lovely show precisely because of that reason: that they treated each client, no matter how old or pudgy or plain, with respect. Their clients included a woman who worked on a fishing trawler and another who was in the military. In one stop, they made a dress for a middle-aged woman who was a breast cancer survivor, as was her mother, aged about 85. They ended up making a dress for the mother, too. It was a charming show, because of the way the clients were treated. I almost think it should be made required watching for any aspiring designer.

Last edited:

heyang

Record Breaker
Ven is not he 1st reason to make his client cry on PR. During season3 (or 4?), the contestants had to make an outfit for a family member of another contestant. Jeffrey (eventual winner) had Angela's mother and she cried because of how he spoke to her - essentially he told her that he didn't care about her opinion and he designed an ugly dress for her. While Ven's outfit was mismatched, each piece wasn't ugly on its own. He was definitely rude - lacking any sense of tact or sensitivity. It must've been a lot worse than what they showed because of how uncomfortable the other contestants were, as well.

BTW, this wa the 1st week where I actually felt I could like Gunnar.

I remember Jeffrey talking to Angela's mother like that. On camera, at one point, he made a crack about her size that I will not repeat. He instantly became my least favorite contestant of that season. Well, he apparently specializes in designing for rock stars, so no ordinary civilian need ever worry about his manners.

I think Ven's outfit was so unflattering to the woman's figure that it became unattractive. That crossover detail on the front was so wrong for her, which became obvious when some of the other women with similar figures but much lovelier outfits went down the runway. Well, maybe he learned something from the experience.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Well, maybe he learned something from the experience.

Olympia, maybe I'm wrong but when he went back to the room, he said...I shouldn't have been last because there were other outfits that were worse...or something to that effect. That's why I called him a snob.

I remember Jeffery's comment to Angela's mother...I didn't like him and was mad at PR for saying he was the best of those designers.

heyang said:
BTW, this wa the 1st week where I actually felt I could like Gunnar.

Me too.

heyang

Record Breaker
Olympia, maybe I'm wrong but when he went back to the room, he said...I shouldn't have been last because there were other outfits that were worse...or something to that effect. That's why I called him a snob.

I remember Jeffery's comment to Angela's mother...I didn't like him and was mad at PR for saying he was the best of those design.

I think Ven just looks at the competition as being about the clothes - not the challenge. While he might've thought other outfits were uglier, he didn't understnad how great the women felt in those clothes. He's pure technique and ego without empathy.

I didn't like Jeffrey and most of his clothes. I think they really wanted Mychael Knight to win, but he had designer's block during their last challenge - thus, we had the 1st and only 4 finalists - and he didn't get himself back on track for the runway show. MK stood out quite a bit- fresher than Laura and Uli and more wearable than Jeffrey.