Project Runway Alert: It starts Thursday 7/19 | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Project Runway Alert: It starts Thursday 7/19

Dee4707

Ice Is Slippery - Alexie Yagudin
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Alicia Hardesty is gone by, I think, lack luster attitude. She also she respected Elena more than Dimitry so just for that I would let her go. Elena is just sooooo mean. I love when they were out on the street and Elena said something to the effect....do you want to buy one of these horrible T shirts????

I think Ven just looks at the competition as being about the clothes - not the challenge. While he might've thought other outfits were uglier, he didn't understnad how great the women felt in those clothes. He's pure technique and ego without empathy.

I didn't like Jeffrey and most of his clothes. I think they really wanted Mychael Knight to win, but he had designer's block during their last challenge - thus, we had the 1st and only 4 finalists - and he didn't get himself back on track for the runway show. MK stood out quite a bit- fresher than Laura and Uli and more wearable than Jeffrey.

I loved Mychael too, and I was so sorry that he seemed to implode for those last two challenges (including the runway show, where his clothing just didn't rise to the occasion). He was indeed fresher than Laura and Uli and more wearable than Jeffrey, though I like both Uli and Laura.

I think you're right about Ven. He doesn't see people actually wearing his clothes.

By the way, did you watch last night's program? Gunnar and Chris, who dislike each other, were put together in a team, and not only did they work well together, but Chris praised Gunnar's clothing to the judges. I was very much impressed.

heyang

Record Breaker
I loved Mychael too, and I was so sorry that he seemed to implode for those last two challenges (including the runway show, where his clothing just didn't rise to the occasion). He was indeed fresher than Laura and Uli and more wearable than Jeffrey, though I like both Uli and Laura.

I think you're right about Ven. He doesn't see people actually wearing his clothes.

By the way, did you watch last night's program? Gunnar and Chris, who dislike each other, were put together in a team, and not only did they work well together, but Chris praised Gunnar's clothing to the judges. I was very much impressed.

I really liked Uli's ru nway collection and the short dress she made for the final challenge before runway.

I thought it was great how Gunnar and Chris got along during yesterday's episode, as well as Sanjay - especially Chris giving Gunnar saying that he thought Gunnar deserved to win the challenge. No negative fireworks there. It's why they were so successful. I really liked Sanjay's jacket and Gunnar's 2 dresses and Chris's sleeveless trench (although I wouldn't buy the trench.)

I felt bad for Ven. His 1st skirt and the white jacket were the best pieces of their collection. At least, it was somewhat cohesive. I also didn't understand the color pallette. Those colors are so blah - when you think of Fall leaves, you think of warm vibrant colors with neutrals.

The 3rd teams collection was just not - Everything the judges said was correct. The fringed wrap didn't go with Dmitry's dress. Elena's coat was too much. Alicia's pants and top were just blah. I think they partly chose Alicia because she didn't fight and she's been in the bottom with boring stuff before - she definitely hasn't proven herself to have a lot of passion or drive.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they partly chose Alicia because she didn't fight and she's been in the bottom with boring stuff before - she definitely hasn't proven herself to have a lot of passion or drive.
...... and I think they kept Elena because she is just the opposite of Alicia. I couldn't stand to be around her for very long.

heyang

Record Breaker
.... I couldn't stand to be around her for very long.

I agree. She's much too domineering. Dmitry's not much of a team player either - he'll do what he wants to but without all the noise.

At least Ven was willing to give up his original skirt in deference to the team, even though he knew that would remove 'him' from the collection. They probably should've kept it and vamped up the 2 tops, instead... that probably would've been the better way for them to go.

Dreaswi

Rinkside
Elena is kept around for the drama. If no drama ratings go down. I'm waiting to hear a fight to break out in russian.

Mondo is one of the guest judges tonight, for the design-a-print challenge. I'm struck by what a good teacher Mondo is. He's so articulate and objective. I love the way he puts sentences together. He doesn't use hyperbole for humorous effect as Michael Kors does; he's more serious and practical in his descriptions. I'd love to see him make at least periodic visits to the show as a judge.

Like the judges, I liked Sonji's and Dmitri's designs the best tonight. I hope one of them wins!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm struck by what a good teacher Mondo is. He's so articulate and objective. I love the way he puts sentences together.

Olympia I agree Mondo was very good tonight. I loved watching him watch the designs on the runway....very obersvant. Although, I didnt think that Gunner's jacket was that bad, nor his print, unlike Elena's jacket and print.

He doesn't use hyperbole for humorous effect as Michael Kors does; he's more serious and practical in his descriptions.

Michael Kors gets on my nerves, he doesn't really offer constructive criticsm but as you say he offers criticsm for humor.

I'd love to see him (Mondo) make at least periodic visits to the show as a judge.

I loved when Christian Syriano (sp??) was a guest judge, he knew what the designers had to go through and offered very good advice as did Mondo.

Like the judges, I liked Sonji's and Dmitri's designs the best tonight. I hope one of them wins!

I'm very happy that Dimitry won, I loved his print and his jacket. The back was a very nice surprise.

I was surprised at Tim Gunn's comments to Venn, I think he should have told Venn, this is not good and why.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I can't believe they sent Venn home over Elena!!!

I was surprised as well.

In terms of the winner, though I loved Chris's dress, I don't think it would show up on stage as effectively as Dmitri's, with those dark bands of color and that asymmetrical sleeve. Also, Dmitri's had such gorgeous details, including the skirt that moved so beautifully.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I tho't Dmitry's design was so much better than Christopher's. In fact, overall, I think Dmitry's clothes are the most attractive.

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Those two are my favorites, both for their designs and personalities. I can see why they loved Christopher's skyline of NYC. So perfect. I can see them making the dresses in a different color for effect. 42

heyang

Record Breaker
I can't believe they sent Venn home over Elena!!!

My guess is that they felt that Elena at least tried to do something different and was pushing herself more. They seemed to feel that Ven didn't put forth the same effort to do something different from his origami and went too simple, instead. Personally, I would've preferred that they kept Ven over Elena.

heyang

Record Breaker
I tho't Dmitry's design was so much better than Christopher's. In fact, overall, I think Dmitry's clothes are the most attractive.

Dmitry's looks are pretty classic, but I don't think he pushes himself to be 'forward' as much as Christopher does.

While watching this episode, I thought that a lot of these dresses would make nice skating outfits, too. They were much better as compared to the outfits designed during season 2 for Sasha Cohen.

heyang

Record Breaker
I was surprised as well.

In terms of the winner, though I loved Chris's dress, I don't think it would show up on stage as effectively as Dmitri's, with those dark bands of color and that asymmetrical sleeve. Also, Dmitri's had such gorgeous details, including the skirt that moved so beautifully.

Since the Rockette's dont' twirl as much as skaters, I think Chris's dress has more impact when seen as a 'line'. It probably looks awesome when you see a row of 20+ Rockets wearing Chris's dress - a long skyline.

Since the Rockette's dance arm in arm to some extent, I think you'd lose some of the effects of the asymetry.

However, Dmitry's dress would be fantastic as a skating costume. The asymetrical lines would like great during a spin + having the fringe flair out.

Dmitry and Christopher definitely had the best 2 of the night. I think both would look better in different colors for the Rockettes. The dark blue might not be as striking with a dark background on stage. The paleness of Chris's dress could get washed out under bright lights.

Overall, I thought Chris's outfit fit the challenge more in that it really represented the Rockettes and utilized the art deco style of Radio City Music Hall. Dmitry's dress was beautiful, but didn't say 'Rockettes'.

Okay, I'll buy that. Especially if they figure out how to give Chris's dress more color contrast, yes indeed, it will make a great Rockettes dress. As you say, a row of Rockettes dancing will make a long sweep of skyline.

Some skater ought to hire Dmitri to make that exact dress for her. It wasn't just the fringe: the way the coils of fabric are connected to each other is just stunning. You're right, Heyang, skaters twirl more, so you would see 360 degrees of this dress, and you wouldn't on a Rockette.

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
My guess is that they felt that Elena at least tried to do something different and was pushing herself more. They seemed to feel that Ven didn't put forth the same effort to do something different from his origami and went too simple, instead. Personally, I would've preferred that they kept Ven over Elena.

Elena did do more.....ugly then some more. Last time they kept her scrub jacket and sent home Gunner, uh why??? I can't stand Michael Kors so I guess I'm just mad. At least Ven's dress was pretty, he didn't do any origami. It wasn't that bad. Elena's was just bad, bad, bad and not in a good way. Grrrrrr...I'll stop now!!

Dee4707

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Are you happy with the 4??? I am. I think they picked the right ones. Once they get their collections finished they have another competition to go through for the finalists to show their collection at fashion week. I am rooting for Christopher and Dmitry. Christopher for some reason reminds me of Christian Sirano. I don't really get Melissa but I guess the judges do.

I would have preferred Sonji to Melissa, but I'm thrilled with Christopher and Dmitry. I'd be happy with either of the guys as the winner, though I prefer Dmitry's clothing, I think.

As for the All-Stars: I remember a lot of them very favorably. I loved Ulli her first time around, though she tended to have a rather narrow range (flowing clothing in lovely prints). I remember liking Althea a lot. I just loved Kayne, both for his clothing and for his personality. Andrae was excellent, and he designed one of my favorite dresses ever, the "dirty water dress" during an inspiration challenge.

http://bloggingprojectrunway2.blogspot.com/2006/03/bpr-top-5-1st-place.html

As I recall, this dress was came in second after a dress by Daniel Vosovic, and I was sorry, because Daniel's dress was a puffy top (made to echo the lines of a blossom) that I thought had an unflattering shape wearable only by a complete beanpole.

So I'm glad to see Andrae back on there.

But Wendy Pepper, my goodness! She was a walking example of the chaos principle in the first season.