Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 54

Thread: Project Runway Alert: It starts Thursday 7/19

  1. #16
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Yes, I was disappointed with Venn speaking that way. Imagine turning to a woman and saying loudly, "Well, we can't use these belts because none of them are big enough for you. And I tried all of them." (Or words to that effect.) Actually, I think it was Gunnar who did rather well in terms of customer rapport here.

    I remember Christian Siriano having that difficulty with the girl, but in his defense I think part of it was his lack of experience out in the world--he was just 21 that year and had spent his teen years working in ateliers with the likes of Vivienne Westwood--and his young client's rather forceful personality. Her size wasn't as relevant as her temperament, I think.

    Venn is a fashion designer for certain particular reasons, I imagine, that have to do with the beauty of the clothes themselves and of women who will wear them. I'm not sure he really thinks of designing as a service occupation, which is something you need to have or develop if you want to deal with the world. He doesn't want clients: he wants muses, the likes of Nan Kempner (who was very tall and was I think the original person who was called a "social X-ray." Or Daphne Guinness, who is both an heiress and a gorgeous clothes horse. Ordinary souls such as thee and me would (if we won the lottery) go to the likes of Rami Kashou to have a design made. His object is to make a woman beautiful with his clothes, not merely to look for the most beautiful woman to display them.

    Do you remember watching the series where Austin Scarlett and Santino Rice went to different working-class communities and made a dress for a woman? It was a lovely show precisely because of that reason: that they treated each client, no matter how old or pudgy or plain, with respect. Their clients included a woman who worked on a fishing trawler and another who was in the military. In one stop, they made a dress for a middle-aged woman who was a breast cancer survivor, as was her mother, aged about 85. They ended up making a dress for the mother, too. It was a charming show, because of the way the clients were treated. I almost think it should be made required watching for any aspiring designer.
    Last edited by Olympia; 08-25-2012 at 03:43 PM.

  2. #17
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,219
    Ven is not he 1st reason to make his client cry on PR. During season3 (or 4?), the contestants had to make an outfit for a family member of another contestant. Jeffrey (eventual winner) had Angela's mother and she cried because of how he spoke to her - essentially he told her that he didn't care about her opinion and he designed an ugly dress for her. While Ven's outfit was mismatched, each piece wasn't ugly on its own. He was definitely rude - lacking any sense of tact or sensitivity. It must've been a lot worse than what they showed because of how uncomfortable the other contestants were, as well.

    BTW, this wa the 1st week where I actually felt I could like Gunnar.

  3. #18
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I remember Jeffrey talking to Angela's mother like that. On camera, at one point, he made a crack about her size that I will not repeat. He instantly became my least favorite contestant of that season. Well, he apparently specializes in designing for rock stars, so no ordinary civilian need ever worry about his manners.

    I think Ven's outfit was so unflattering to the woman's figure that it became unattractive. That crossover detail on the front was so wrong for her, which became obvious when some of the other women with similar figures but much lovelier outfits went down the runway. Well, maybe he learned something from the experience.

  4. #19
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Well, maybe he learned something from the experience.
    Olympia, maybe I'm wrong but when he went back to the room, he said...I shouldn't have been last because there were other outfits that were worse...or something to that effect. That's why I called him a snob.

    I remember Jeffery's comment to Angela's mother...I didn't like him and was mad at PR for saying he was the best of those designers.

    Quote Originally Posted by heyang
    BTW, this wa the 1st week where I actually felt I could like Gunnar.
    Me too.

  5. #20
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Olympia, maybe I'm wrong but when he went back to the room, he said...I shouldn't have been last because there were other outfits that were worse...or something to that effect. That's why I called him a snob.

    I remember Jeffery's comment to Angela's mother...I didn't like him and was mad at PR for saying he was the best of those design.
    I think Ven just looks at the competition as being about the clothes - not the challenge. While he might've thought other outfits were uglier, he didn't understnad how great the women felt in those clothes. He's pure technique and ego without empathy.

    I didn't like Jeffrey and most of his clothes. I think they really wanted Mychael Knight to win, but he had designer's block during their last challenge - thus, we had the 1st and only 4 finalists - and he didn't get himself back on track for the runway show. MK stood out quite a bit- fresher than Laura and Uli and more wearable than Jeffrey.

  6. #21
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,714
    Alicia Hardesty is gone by, I think, lack luster attitude. She also she respected Elena more than Dimitry so just for that I would let her go. Elena is just sooooo mean. I love when they were out on the street and Elena said something to the effect....do you want to buy one of these horrible T shirts????

  7. #22
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I think Ven just looks at the competition as being about the clothes - not the challenge. While he might've thought other outfits were uglier, he didn't understnad how great the women felt in those clothes. He's pure technique and ego without empathy.

    I didn't like Jeffrey and most of his clothes. I think they really wanted Mychael Knight to win, but he had designer's block during their last challenge - thus, we had the 1st and only 4 finalists - and he didn't get himself back on track for the runway show. MK stood out quite a bit- fresher than Laura and Uli and more wearable than Jeffrey.
    I loved Mychael too, and I was so sorry that he seemed to implode for those last two challenges (including the runway show, where his clothing just didn't rise to the occasion). He was indeed fresher than Laura and Uli and more wearable than Jeffrey, though I like both Uli and Laura.

    I think you're right about Ven. He doesn't see people actually wearing his clothes.

    By the way, did you watch last night's program? Gunnar and Chris, who dislike each other, were put together in a team, and not only did they work well together, but Chris praised Gunnar's clothing to the judges. I was very much impressed.

  8. #23
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I loved Mychael too, and I was so sorry that he seemed to implode for those last two challenges (including the runway show, where his clothing just didn't rise to the occasion). He was indeed fresher than Laura and Uli and more wearable than Jeffrey, though I like both Uli and Laura.

    I think you're right about Ven. He doesn't see people actually wearing his clothes.

    By the way, did you watch last night's program? Gunnar and Chris, who dislike each other, were put together in a team, and not only did they work well together, but Chris praised Gunnar's clothing to the judges. I was very much impressed.
    I really liked Uli's ru nway collection and the short dress she made for the final challenge before runway.

    I thought it was great how Gunnar and Chris got along during yesterday's episode, as well as Sanjay - especially Chris giving Gunnar saying that he thought Gunnar deserved to win the challenge. No negative fireworks there. It's why they were so successful. I really liked Sanjay's jacket and Gunnar's 2 dresses and Chris's sleeveless trench (although I wouldn't buy the trench.)

    I felt bad for Ven. His 1st skirt and the white jacket were the best pieces of their collection. At least, it was somewhat cohesive. I also didn't understand the color pallette. Those colors are so blah - when you think of Fall leaves, you think of warm vibrant colors with neutrals.

    The 3rd teams collection was just not - Everything the judges said was correct. The fringed wrap didn't go with Dmitry's dress. Elena's coat was too much. Alicia's pants and top were just blah. I think they partly chose Alicia because she didn't fight and she's been in the bottom with boring stuff before - she definitely hasn't proven herself to have a lot of passion or drive.

  9. #24
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,714
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I think they partly chose Alicia because she didn't fight and she's been in the bottom with boring stuff before - she definitely hasn't proven herself to have a lot of passion or drive.
    ...... and I think they kept Elena because she is just the opposite of Alicia. I couldn't stand to be around her for very long.

  10. #25
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    .... I couldn't stand to be around her for very long.
    I agree. She's much too domineering. Dmitry's not much of a team player either - he'll do what he wants to but without all the noise.

    At least Ven was willing to give up his original skirt in deference to the team, even though he knew that would remove 'him' from the collection. They probably should've kept it and vamped up the 2 tops, instead... that probably would've been the better way for them to go.

  11. #26
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Franklin, TN
    Posts
    30
    Elena is kept around for the drama. If no drama ratings go down. I'm waiting to hear a fight to break out in russian.

  12. #27
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    Mondo is one of the guest judges tonight, for the design-a-print challenge. I'm struck by what a good teacher Mondo is. He's so articulate and objective. I love the way he puts sentences together. He doesn't use hyperbole for humorous effect as Michael Kors does; he's more serious and practical in his descriptions. I'd love to see him make at least periodic visits to the show as a judge.

    Like the judges, I liked Sonji's and Dmitri's designs the best tonight. I hope one of them wins!

  13. #28
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,714
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'm struck by what a good teacher Mondo is. He's so articulate and objective. I love the way he puts sentences together.
    Olympia I agree Mondo was very good tonight. I loved watching him watch the designs on the runway....very obersvant. Although, I didnt think that Gunner's jacket was that bad, nor his print, unlike Elena's jacket and print.


    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    He doesn't use hyperbole for humorous effect as Michael Kors does; he's more serious and practical in his descriptions.
    Michael Kors gets on my nerves, he doesn't really offer constructive criticsm but as you say he offers criticsm for humor.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I'd love to see him (Mondo) make at least periodic visits to the show as a judge.
    I loved when Christian Syriano (sp??) was a guest judge, he knew what the designers had to go through and offered very good advice as did Mondo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Like the judges, I liked Sonji's and Dmitri's designs the best tonight. I hope one of them wins!
    I'm very happy that Dimitry won, I loved his print and his jacket. The back was a very nice surprise.

    I was surprised at Tim Gunn's comments to Venn, I think he should have told Venn, this is not good and why.

  14. #29
    Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    16,714
    I can't believe they sent Venn home over Elena!!!

  15. #30
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,495
    I was surprised as well.

    In terms of the winner, though I loved Chris's dress, I don't think it would show up on stage as effectively as Dmitri's, with those dark bands of color and that asymmetrical sleeve. Also, Dmitri's had such gorgeous details, including the skirt that moved so beautifully.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •