RIP Sally Ride | Golden Skate

RIP Sally Ride

jcoates

Medalist
The world has lost a quiet icon of progress today. Sally Ride was one of my first real heroes growing up and and inspiration to a young boy dreaming of going into space. I devoured everything about NASA back then and she was at the top of the list. She understood her role in history and used her status to encourage kids to explore the sciences. She will be sorely missed. Condolences to her partner, mother and family.

I saw the announcement and reacted with much more sadness than I would have expected. She was indeed a hero, and she will remain a beacon for those who dream and aspire. I remember the news announcements saying Ride, Sally Ride! The thrill of achievement that her name conjures up will never grow less. I'm glad you started this thread, Jcoates.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What a sad loss to such a terrible form of cancer (pancreatic). Gone too soon. :cry: RIP, Sally.

I was talking about Ride with some friends and one young girl, the daughter of a Navy officer, said she had met Ride and gotten an autograph a few years ago. We were all incredibly envious. I was happy to realize this girl thought of the encounter as something to boast of. My friend was about twelve at the time. It shows how Sally Ride has influenced young people throughout her career.