Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tarasova update

Skating Freak Barbie
    Well...Griazev was 5th as a Senior at last year's Russian National Championships...with some of the "big names" seeming "iffy" for this year's championships, he could well be a possible medal contender this year. If silver and bronze are rather "assigned" based on how someone is expected to do at Worlds, as someone suggested...well, Russia gets two skaters this year...so bronze would be up for grabs, huh?

For whoever it was who took offense at what I said about Sasha's mom, well, I'm just saying that hyperactive stage mom's aren't unheard of, any more or less than publicity crazy coaches. And I stand by what I said, in light of what has happened...who is saying, Tatiana or other, that Sasha WAS her prize student? Maybe Tatiana saw better potential in Andrei all along? Or, if she had to choose between the two, would have chosen him all along. Right now, I'm just saying that no one hears Tatiana talking about losing her "star student"....maybe she was past thinking of Sasha that way (if she ever did at all).

And Windspirit....I LOVE the pic, and the quote!! TOOOO cute!

Kasey

Windspirt - You have an "in" with the Russian figure skaters and maybe the Federation, too. I'm envious. Fabulous to read much of what you add to this story on the Men's Nats.

As for conspiracy theories, in general, I find people enjoy putting these theories down yet so often at least one of these conspiracy theories is correct, so I am not against them in general. I do get bored with them when there are too many like Sasha, her molther, and TT. Of course, probably one of them is correct.

As for the Russian boys. I do not have any theory - conspiratorial or otherwise - just a query. I'm not privy to such information. I'm just thinking out loud on what was said about TT and her connection to the Russian Federation. That is not my statement. It was said some time ago by a Russian-fan poster, and no one has come to say she has no such a connection. The question that some theorists have is that TT was sick and going back to Russia for health reasons, yet she was going to train Griazev while she is there. I'm not making this up. This was in the threads. As my Sherlock Holmes instinct came alive, I came up with the query - would TT be there to fix the Russian Nationals? Of course, I wasn't serious. I would have no right to be serious but I enjoy poking around the little gray cells as my Poirot instincts come alive.

In all seriousness, though, Klimkin is one of my top ten of present day skaters. The guy is damn good skater and I'd like to see him skate his best. I would be sad if Griazev gets to Worlds and Klimkin does not. If anyone could imitate the famed Polish dancer, Njinsky, it would be Ilia Klimkin. So I guess I do have ulterior motive, but I'm ok with myself.

Joe
    Last edited by Joesitz; 01-03-2004 at 04:51 PM.

Custom Title
    Maybe Sasha use to be TT's prize pupil until personal issues came along. I remember TT saying that Sasha was in her heart now. I wonder if that is still true. I hope but I'm not really seeing that since Sasha doesn't even know if TT has gone to Russian. It's pretty obvious that neither one has spoken. They had a going away party so was Sasha even there. Just thinking out loud I guess.

Custom Woman
    Whatever it means, there is this line from Usova/Platov's site:
    "Maya says that Tatiana is feeling better now that she does not have so much pressure."

They don't specify what the pressure was. US Nationals with Sasha, now a non-issue? Continuing to coach and travel with Sasha? Something with one of her other students?

I don't know, of course, but in my experience, most break-ups, whether business, personal, artistic, athletic, or some combination, are usuall due to a combination of factors that are difficult to untangle.

I wish Tarasova, Sasha, and Robin Wagner the best.
    Rgirl

1. I consistently said on this board that TT is not going to stay in Russia. She's talked about leaving before, and never has. I also agree that Galina seems to be a convenient scapegoat for the whole thing.
    2. I do believe that Sasha has seen good improvement with Robin, and not because Robin is a better coach than TT. Having a new approach is always good. It's the same as in medicine -- a new medication often brings good immediate results just because of a change. A week later, though, a patient may be back to where they started. (Though I do hope that Sasha and Robin can have a good partnership)
    3. I do think Sasha was TT's prized pupil. However, now that she no longer is, why wouldn't TT go with her other students to the Russian Naitonals? It's not just Griazev either; it's also her dance team(s).
    4. As for Griazev's chances... As someone else mentioned, he was 5th at last year's Nationals, so he might actually have a fair shot.
    5. Finally, TT can have plenty of reasons to want to go to Russia. Her elderly mother is there, her sister, most of her friends, her husband, though he lives in Germany most of the time, could be there as well, etc....

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~ Ladskater's Avatar
    Sometimes the coach and skater just do not get a long. Simple as that. Suffice to say, a coach (especially of TT's stature) is not going to advertise this fact. What happens between a coach and a skater is their business. I am sure Sasha has her reasons for moving on to Robin and TT has her reasons for leaving Sasha.

Custom Title
    It will be interesting to see if the RF can wrangle three spots for World's after the men's - minus Plushenko - poor showing at last seasons Worlds. Hopefully they'll have the three slots even with Klimkin's and Timchenko's disastrous overall placements in D.C.

Griazev is ready to take second place in Moscow. He's in good shape, has been learning to manage his nerves at the big event, and the pressure is off because his status as a JGP contender means there's only a slim chance RF will send him to Worlds. They're NOT sure he can handle that much pressure and even if he does get the silver this week, it will be interesting to see how Piseev handles it. Almost no one has had good quads this season - so even without it, he's a contender.

TT's relationship with Cohen was never ended due to TT's health concerns. And Momma Sasha did indeed get too involved in the decision-making process for TT's taste.

TT's health concerns have not suddenly increased lately, she's more mentally fatigued than anything. That does not mean she is not suffering from what can at times be serious conditions...she is....all of which are aggravated by the long travel.
    The health "spin" was just that...spin.

The RF's relationship with Abt has not been friendly for a long time and if there's anyone that needs to do well to make the team and get a slot for Worlds, it's him. He's viewed as over the hill by some, and too old to recover his jumps back. In other words, they may - even if he skates well, as he did in both GP short programs - NOT send him to Worlds. On the other hand, what he has going for him even if he doesn't skate up to his ability is that the others have been injured, off the ice, not in competition, etc.

It's not Zhulin's fault regarding Sasha's jumps. His jumps were fine last season - until he ripped his ankle. He's never recovered properly. Then in August he re-injured the same landing ankle the last day of his shows in Japan.

Abt didn't go to Zhulin until he was almost 26 years old. By that time, his jumping techniques were well established. What he does need is more conditioning and endurance. If Zhulin could demand more - great. But that's not his style. He's not a dictatorial trainer ala Tarasova. In his mind - it's up to the skater. If he wants it, he'll work hard. If not, he's not going to drag him around the rink...the gym...wherever.

Abt's short program shows the creativity of Zhulin, and the ability of Sasha to "sell" a program...when it doesn't go on so long he's out of steam, or bringing the presentation down by too many two-footed landings or under-rotated jumps.

Last season at the GPF he skated fine, but the two-footing and under-rotations were absolutely hammered by the judges.

He IS the wild card of RN's this season.
    And nobody has more pressure than him. If he doesn't make the team, he's finished.

And that would be a tragedy.
    Last edited by Zanzibar; 01-06-2004 at 06:15 AM.

Moving Forward
    Thank you for your insight, Zanzibar. It's very sad to see Abt in this position, I've always enjoyed his skating. It is good to see that the federation is watching Griazev. I hope he can stand up to the pressure and perform at his best.

Nan

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    TT's relationship with Cohen was never ended due to TT's health concerns. And Momma Sasha did indeed get too involved in the decision-making process for TT's taste.
    Based on this quote, I wonder what poor little Sasha wanted. Another question I have is why did Sasha pick Wagner? It would seem like she would pick a coach that would help her with her jump technique. Any speculations here as to why Wagner???

Dee

Custom Title
    I think the Cohens picked Wagner because
    (a) She is on the East Coast, in the greater NY area
    (b) She has a good reputation (she coached an OGM)
    (c) She was available
    (d) (most important) She had no students at the moment.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Thanks chuckm, that makes sense. I guess Nationals may tell the whole story. I am just sorry this whole thing happened. I had hoped that Tatiana would take Sasha to gold. Now I guess I need to hope that Wagner will.

Dee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2