Stojko reveals plans to race cars | Golden Skate

Stojko reveals plans to race cars

Dragonlady

Final Flight
Elvis seems to be struggling to find something to do with the rest of his life. First it was competitive karate, then he moved to Mexico, and was coaching there, now it's car racing. I'll be impressed if he makes a success of it but until then, it seems kind of sad he didn't have a better plan for retirement.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I thought he is only a two time silver medalist!

Yes. He was four time Olympian from 1992 to 2002. Two Olympic silvers, one Olympic 7th place, and one Olympic 8th place.

It does sound like he always wants to do something noticable. He doesn't want to fade in people's memory. But not many people could keep coming back in different sports. If he can, sure, why not?

Good for him! I love when athletes attain championship level in a second sport. In Elvis's case, this is his fourth sport, I think, after martial arts and dirt biking. You can't skate forever, but a skater can move on to other sports (or other life pursuits, of course) and strive for excellence there. Auto racing, like equestrianism and golf, has a longer life span. Go for it, Stojko!

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yes. He was four time Olympian from 1992 to 2002. Two Olympic silvers, one Olympic 7th place, and one Olympic 8th place.

It does sound like he always wants to do something noticable. He doesn't want to fade in people's memory. But not many people could keep coming back in different sports. If he can, sure, why not?

I don't think. He enjoys his life, he wants to try different things. There are such people.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
The athletes who are most successful in life are those who have a life plan for after their competitive careers end. Michelle Kwan had a plan to finish school and enter a diplomatic career. Elvis finished his university degree because he promised his mother he would. And yes he was successful in martial arts. Dirt bike racing is a sport for the young and is physically very hard on the body.

Elvis just comes across as a guy who never thought about what he wants to do with the rest of his life. He tried TV commentating and wasn't very good at it. Then he had success as a martial artist. Since then he's tried singing and acting, coaching, and now car racing. None of this is indicative of an adult with a life plan.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The athletes who are most successful in life are those who have a life plan for after their competitive careers end. Michelle Kwan had a plan to finish school and enter a diplomatic career. Elvis finished his university degree because he promised his mother he would. And yes he was successful in martial arts. Dirt bike racing is a sport for the young and is physically very hard on the body.

Elvis just comes across as a guy who never thought about what he wants to do with the rest of his life. He tried TV commentating and wasn't very good at it. Then he had success as a martial artist. Since then he's tried singing and acting, coaching, and now car racing. None of this is indicative of an adult with a life plan.

All this may be true, but we can't define success for everybody. And it doesn't mean he can't just have fun and be happy. He's had success beyond most people's dreams already. Different chases, different journeys and different challenges may be very exciting for him. Not my favorite skater but I don't deny his success and his rights to his pursuit of happiness and other adventures.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Not a fan of Stojko for his many attempts to gender police figure skating. I feel bad for racing that he's taking his regressive, sexist views to a sport that's becoming increasingly accessible to female competitors.

merrywidow

Record Breaker
I can remember reading that back in the day Elvis was the highest paid athlete in Canada & he earned millions a year from endorsements. I don't see him as a man who blew all the money he made but rather as a man who can well afford to dabble & indulge in different interests.

trains

On the Ice
Good for him! But that's a go kart - karting is the usual entry level for young teenagers to begin to learn racing skills.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker

What did Elvis get his degree in? Just wondering.

I can remember reading that back in the day Elvis was the highest paid athlete in Canada & he earned millions a year from endorsements. I don't see him as a man who blew all the money he made but rather as a man who can well afford to dabble & indulge in different interests.

I think you're probably right. Elvis can doubtless afford to indulge what the movie Top Gun called "the need for speed." He wasn't my favorite skater, but I admired his bravery and determination. (I almost said his drive!) This new pursuit of his reflects his personality.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
What did Elvis get his degree in? Just wondering.

I think it was a business degree, but I'm not sure. I tried to do a search but the ice rink at York University (his alma mater) is named Elvis Stojko Arena so any searches for Elvis and York U give you information about the rink.

I think Elvis probably has the first dollar he ever made. His mother made all of his costumes. He lived with Uschi Kessler and her husband when he trained in Philadelphia, so he really wasn't a lavish spender. He also endowed Skate Canada with a generous bursary fund to provide training expenses for skaters. Dubreuill & Lauzon received $10,000 from the fund when they first went to France to work with Mdm. Zazoui. I know of a lot of skaters who received funds from that Bursary.

Elvis wasn't always treated well by Skate Canada, and he really deserved better, considering all he did for them. That said, I wish he'd keep his mouth shut about "manliness" in figure skating.