Volula Papachristou (Greece) Removed from Olympic Team for Racist Remark on Twitter | Golden Skate

Volula Papachristou (Greece) Removed from Olympic Team for Racist Remark on Twitter

Oh, dear. What is it, 140 characters you get on Twitter, and she managed to make so much trouble with so few letters?

seniorita

Record Breaker
Oh she is stupid, so much that i doubt she thought of her "joke" alone. I bet it was one of those who are published on facebook or heard on the cafes etc when sth runs a lot on the news, like the mosquito news now. Not being able to filter it and repost it makes her even more dumb. It is not even funny, and it is good she was banned so she can go home and rethink the consequencies of talking in public. But i feel sorry for her, because I can only guess her sacrificies to reach an olympic team.
On the other hand, the President of the greek Comitee that banned her is such a corrupted super rich businesman that has earned so much money exactly by taking advantage of illegal immigrants etc, that it looks ridiculous to me his pure initiative. And in general promoting the Olympic idea doesnt exactly match his life style and many many more, so i find it hypocritic.

The most interesting observation is that twitter nowdays equals an official public declaration, thats an interesting conversation.

Last edited:
Thanks for the local insight, Seniorita.

That point about twitter being seen as an official public declaration is an excellent and thought-provoking idea. And some people really seem to have no inner filter.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Because I know the Greek kind of spirit when I read the mosquito thing I didn't think, oh that is racism, mainly because they have created a tone if these jokes last month and also Greeks make these anecdotes of cynic humor in their own disasters always, like the eartquack of 1999, the jokes about people "underground" were for almost a year, but from an outsider it looks worse.
Also greeks generally are suspicious and annoyed from Balcan immigrants and they are racist towards them, and these people are almost two millions, but peOple from Africa, India and rest Asia are digested in Greek society, a very good indication is that where latter live the rents are still high, while in Balcan immigrants areas Greeks don't wanna live.

But I understand that when you represent a country in olys then you don't expect the world to know what is going on in your country, I really think it was a poor judgement of her and a low level joke.

I have to admit I am of two minds about this. It seems like the Olympics should be about who can jump the farthest, not about who has the most neighborly views on immigration policy.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I have to admit I am of two minds about this. It seems like the Olympics should be about who can jump the farthest, not about who has the most neighborly views on immigration policy.

while true, the athletes are also representing their countries... honestly I don't want someone spouting hate - even ignorant hate - to "represent me". They are TEAM GREECE - while they may get an individual medal they all go over with a "job to do"... the federation/employer has the right to revoke their position should they go against the TEAM/CO. image.