Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Events at Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014 to start a day early

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar

Events at Sochi Winter Olympics in 2014 to start a day early

The organisers for the Sochi Olympics have decided to start the qualifying events a day early:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/events-...4890--oly.html

Men's and Pairs' short programs will be held on that early day.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    Well, they certainly gave plenty of time for athletes to adjust.

Custom Title
    Hey, the Russians won't have jet lag....

I think Chan should train in the Aleutian Islands for a few days ahead of time. Oh, wait...Sochi is at the other end of Russia, near the Black Sea. Let me rethink this. Maybe the Canadians and Americans should rent space in Austria or even Estonia.
    Last edited by Olympia; 07-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.

Sochi at the same time zone like Moscow, UTC+ 3h. Beautiful place.

Females soccer events at London Olympics had their first game yesterday so I think it's been usual for the olympics.
    Last edited by l'etoile; 07-26-2012 at 01:28 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    That's true. But I think in the article they mixed something up. "Qualifying" and and "short program" simply can't be one and the same thing in FS. I would wait for the official schedule announcement.

Custom Title
    Interesting. Just to show Russian hard working ethics in pursuit of perfection while we have the British Olympics decide to cut half an hour from the opening ceremony at last minute to only 3 hours after all that effort and £££.

It is still an hour shorter than the Beijing one of 4 hours. Wish I can get 25% of my Olympics tax money back. £81mill in production, it better be worth it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Interesting. Just to show Russian hard working ethics in pursuit of perfection while we have the British Olympics decide to cut half an hour from the opening ceremony at last minute to only 3 hours after all that effort and £££.

It is still an hour shorter than the Beijing one of 4 hours. Wish I can get 25% of my Olympics tax money back. £81mill in production, it better be worth it.
    os168, so you mean people in Britain DID pay an extre tax for this Olympics, other than your ordinary/normal/regular taxes?
    Sorry for OT but I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    That's true. But I think in the article they mixed something up. "Qualifying" and and "short program" simply can't be one and the same thing in FS. I would wait for the official schedule announcement.
    They mixed up the terminology. In other sports, you have preliminaries, and that's what they're called. In some, qualifying... in skating, you have the short program/dance. The true qualifying for the Olympics are Worlds, and a fall Senior B.

And, yes, it's typical of the Summer Olympics to start a day early, especially in sports like soccer, where there needs to be an amended schedule. The winter program has always started AFTER the opening ceremonies, because there aren't as many sports in the winter games. However, that will change, with the introduction of new sports (one being the team skating event).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    os168, so you mean people in Britain DID pay an extre tax for this Olympics, other than your ordinary/normal/regular taxes?
    Yes we all had to pay Olympic tax as part of our council tax bill but also a lot of it is hidden. For example everybody has to paying 20% in Value Added Tax for all goods (similar to sales tax), certainly a hike prior to 2002 of 17.5% and for a while 15%. There's a premium of £12 car congestion charge if you drive in London per day. Petrol is ridiculous despite oil is cheaper than its ever been. We are currently paying £1.34p per liter of unleaded petrol or £1.39 for Diesel. The standard petrol works out approx $2 US per liter or $7.56 per gallon, more than double of those from the US. There are car tax on top of it depends on which car you have, and just higher income tax in general compare to Asia and the US (But then we have the NHS). It is a bad economic times in UK, so it all had to come from somewhere.

<snip>
    Last edited by os168; 07-26-2012 at 04:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post

I think Chan should train in the Aleutian Islands for a few days ahead of time. Oh, wait...Sochi is at the other end of Russia, near the Black Sea. Let me rethink this. Maybe the Canadians and Americans should rent space in Austria or even Estonia.
    I know you're joking, but that wouldn't work. None of the islands that far west (east) are big enough to host a facility, it's super windy, no lakes that freeze over...

and they don't get theirr own timezone recognized so he'd be on ALASKA time, which is super behind Russia lol

Last edited by plushyfan; 07-26-2012 at 03:40 PM.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by deedee1 View Post
    I m still paying for 2004 Olympics.

Is this just so that Lipnitskaia can beat Lipinski for youngest OGM if she wins?

Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Is this just so that Lipnitskaia can beat Lipinski for youngest OGM if she wins?
    Their last names are almost the same. Toni knows I have a hard time keeping the Oksanas straight. I'd be a mess if Lipnitskaya matched Lipinski's accomplishment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast