Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's and Ladies' Gymnastics

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

Men's and Ladies' Gymnastics

McKayla Mulroney has a broken toe, which she just reinjured in practice.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...y-breaks-toe/1

She is still planning to compete on the vault and is in London.

Anna Li, first alternate, injured her neck & will not compete. She has to wear a cervical collar.

There are two other alternates; a third may still be named to replace Anna.

Competition in the Ladies events starts Sunday.

The men's team looked great on the Today Show. It was hysterical Savannah Guthrie told them to do a stunt, and Matt Lauer freaked out because he was worrried a freak injury could happen... Go Team USA!

Custom Title
    She asked them to do a stunt? They should be carried from place to place in sedan chairs! This is not the moment to introduce anything unplanned in their training regimens. At least let these poor souls make it into the arena in one piece.

When does gymnastics start, anyway?

Men's Qualification starts on Saturday.

Artistic Gymnastics schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    She asked them to do a stunt? They should be carried from place to place in sedan chairs! This is not the moment to introduce anything unplanned in their training regimens. At least let these poor souls make it into the arena in one piece.

When does gymnastics start, anyway?
    Yeah they all did backflips (called them something else, but they were backflips lol)... Matt was ready to die lol

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    Kieran Behan, a long shot to even make the finals in gymnastics, was once told he could never walk again.

I think he and Sarah Robles (US women's weightlifting) are my favourite stories of the games so far:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/27/sp...pagewanted=all

Custom Title
    Anyone watching the women's qualifiying? Canada just made the team final . As a Canadian, I'm so thrilled. Gymnastics has always been a major struggle for us, so this is REALLY huge.

I've got a question for those of you with some knowledge of the sport. I was watching the floor routine for Victoria Moors CAN, and she seemed to get through really well. Her tumbling passes looked clean, and she did a great job performing between the elements. She actually had a 6.000 in difficulty, which to my knowledge is quite high, and she's been scoring really well all year. Yet, here, with what seemed to be a really strong routine, her execution score was terrible (8.1000) and her overall was a 14.100, which is really low by her usual standard. People thought she had a chance at making the final on floor going in, which her previous scores would suggest was a possibility, so it was surprising to see her drop so low here. Can anyone give some insight? Thanks!
    Last edited by skatingfan04; 07-29-2012 at 12:02 PM.

I read some spoilers and they made me realize how deep the US team is in Ladies gymnastics.

I felt for bad for the German man (Boy?) who injured himself on vault and yet continued through the remaining excercises knowing that he'd have to land in pain. He limped off of each routine. To add insult to injury, he didn't catch the high bar on one of his release moves. He was actually one of the favorites to go into the All-around. At the end, he was just trying to score high enough to get the team into the team finals.

I don't think NBC will broadcast any gymnastics until primetime, I guess I'll have to look online if I don't want to wait.

Custom Title
    I saw the spoilers also. Very true.

I haven't seen a lot of the gymnastics, just here and there, but I'll say that Daiane dos Santos of Brazil is a ball of fire in the floor exercise. I do hope she made the finals! She's apparently 28, in her third Olympics or thereabout. She even has two floor moves named after her. I hope she does her absolute best this time around.

oh no bad spoiler for us...i saw crying...i guess we'll see it tonight.....

Why don't we see anyone mount the balance beam like this anymore:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7SjVtUKXg4

These rules are crazy Jordan is World Champion and will not be in the 24? Because each country gets two? East Podunk gets two? Poor Jordan. I cried for her.

I felt awful for her. Currently watching the Russian women on Floor.

Custom Title
    I felt awful too. That rule seems pretty idiotic. Gymnastics is brutal enough without it.

Russia and China have not shone in this round either. I hope this doesn't mean that this year's gymnastics will be a splatfest.

Custom Title
    BEST OF LUCK to our Japanese boys at Men's Team event (final) tonight!

Seems too far away to capture the Gold medal now, I hope they will do their best, so that they can be proud of themselves at least.

P.S. Sorry about Jordyn Wieber. Sad to say but it happens to many sports to limit the number of spots to each country: e.g. only one spot for Judo, two spots for table tennis, and of course three at the maximum for figure skating...I am old enough to accept all the reasonable reasons, but I still get frustrated sometimes why all the world's best athletes can't participate in the biggest competitions such as the Olympics and the Worlds, which they have dreamed about and worked so hard for all these years... I feel for them.

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast