Men's and Ladies' Gymnastics | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Men's and Ladies' Gymnastics

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
I feel bad for Wieber, really bad. But all along, I've been rooting for Gabby Douglas to take the all-around, and she's still in this!

Me too! I love her lines and lightness. I'm no expert but Jordyn just seems heavy (not in weight, in movements) and kind of clunks through her elements. Gabby has a finesse and more graceful look...she makes you feel like she is just flying on those uneven bars.

maybe it's the skating fan in me always looking for ease in movements :)

skateluvr

Record Breaker
wow, the men usa 5th--what happened? I was very happy for GBR tho. It was bronze then silver then bronze with the Japaese filing a complaint. Seems they made up their mind real fast. The Princes were going crazy for their Team. I seem to be missing the Equestrian events in the am maybe -I wanted to see Zara Philips. She got the sour faced QE2 to smile. Her fave grandchild. Gymnastics is going so fast, the ladies team event tomorrow nite, I think? I so want to see USA in gold. Jordan will feel her life's work mattered, all 5 really are awesome girls. It would be amazing if Gabby won AA. I have a feeling she will. She has this destiny aura going on and her single mother has sacrificed so much. I find them all so apealing/deserving. It should be very exciting. Gosh I wish I were there in London. I loved it so-great city-great people.

Missy Franklin won gold in swimming -yahoo!.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Me too! I love her lines and lightness. I'm no expert but Jordyn just seems heavy (not in weight, in movements) and kind of clunks through her elements. Gabby has a finesse and more graceful look...she makes you feel like she is just flying on those uneven bars.

maybe it's the skating fan in me always looking for ease in movements :)

I don't find Jordyn particularly clunky. I think she's very, very good in everything she does. But yes, Gabby Douglas is the flying squirrel, after all, and the flight on her uneven bars is out of the arena good. But if you want height and lines, though, you can't go wrong with McKayla Maroney, her vaulting is like watching a ballerina at a demolition derby. The US women's team is ridiculously strong, which is, after all, the reason why Jordyn being slightly off-peak is enough to get knocked out of the all-around by her teammates. I feel bad for the other countries' teams having to go up against the American women... but not that bad. :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
Ok I don't consider myself even an olympic gymnastics fan, but was GBR robbed out of a silver medal? We only got to see what NBC deemed worthy, but still?

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
GBR still got a medal. It was Ukraine that the revised decision knocked off the podium.

I watched the Canadian feed, where the Canadian commentator, Kyle Shewfelt, who competed in the 2008 games, said the whole thing hinged on whether Kohei's flailing dismount achieved a handstand, and Kyle said to him, it looked like it was a few degrees off. Near as I can gather in my own research, it depends on whether Kohei's core achieved a vertical position during the dismount. And I guess at some point during that swinging dismount, his core might have accidentally hit vertical? Going through the slo-mo replay frame by frame, it did look like his core was vertical right before his hands left the apparatus. I have no idea how they decide these things, but maybe that could've been it?

I am personally inclined to believe they made the right call in the end. I heard it said the judges rewatched the video 10 times. They know the rules, they have the video replay, and if they had any predilection towards putting Japan ahead, they could've done it during the actual competition! I seriously doubt having a few minutes of the Japanese coach staring sullenly at a team of judges is enough to pressure them into rigging the results, invalidating their own earlier decision, and making themselves look pretty bad in front of a hostile crowd.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I also felt bad for the Ukrainians. First happy bronze medalists and suddenly 4th place. Great Britain at least got a bronze instead of the silver.Their first medal in gymnastics team since Stockholm 1912! Japan got silver after their protest. I see Serious Business has done a thorough analyze. Thanks.

I watched the last ladies' qualifications division on Sunday. The Japanese girls were great. High spirits, looking happy right through the comp. Qualified for the final in their first olympics as a team. (no sleep for the Japanese fans tonight either :p)

I' not a gymnastics buff, but I remember a few big names. I root for Ponor, is she in any final? I think I saw her not doing so well? Britains Elisabeth Tweddle is also a favorite.

Womens' Team ccmpetition today:
US
Russia
China
Romania
Great Britain
Japan
Italy
Canada

Seniorita… AA, UB, HB :confused: …..you are not on a gymnastics forum now :laugh:

seniorita

Record Breaker
^Sorry, I m just lazy. :eek:: But other the abbreviations and woman gymnastics elements , I can hardly explain their CoP anyway, since the change I really lost interest and in contrast to skating I didnt even try. In men I just watch and enjoy :popcorn:
Very very very sad for Ukraine. it was so heartbreaking to see thier joys, excitements and heavenly smiles turn into such disapointments...
I know almost nothing about scoring system in Gymnastics, but I have to wonder if the inquiry/appeal had not been from such power houses in gymnastics, e.g. China or Japan, and if it had not been for the world's best gymnast like Uchimura, who is the reigning 3-time world champion btw, the appeal might not have been accepted.
It is a judged sport after all. We are to have mysterious/inconprehensible scores sometimes. Just like figure skating. It happens everywhere with Judo at this Olympics, too.
I sincerely hope judges/refrees will be more accurate, precise and resolute at the first and every opportunity upon judging/scoring. Especially during the events like the OLYMPIC GAMES. And for the sake of all the world's best athletes.

I think Uchimura applied just the rules about the appeal, what they benefitted is that he was the last last athlete on the last last round, otherwise I cant think they would revise an element from a previous round or subvision, I wish the judges would have looked better before announcing the results, cause firstly I feel for Ukraine and secondly the bronze of GB initially would have been a great joy, this silver>bronze ended bitterly. Our broadcast ended with the first results before even the appeal so imagine me :jaw:when I read the end of it.

Yeah, really too bad for Ukraine. I have to believe the judges knew what they were looking for, with the computerized replay they have these days rather than just having to evaluate by eye and a memory of the real thing. The Brits still won a medal, thankfully. The first since Stockholm--amazing! Our TV coverage showed all their last routines, and they were really impressive. I feel terrible for the U.S. men, but as Irina Slutskaya said in 2002, this is sport. Sometimes the mojo just leaves you. On the other hand, Britain fell out of contention in synchronized diving, while the U.S. pair got a medal. So each team got some good and some bad in the outcome.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
John Orozco said, after the competition, "I feel personally responsible. I did five events and I botched two." And I'm like, damn right it's your fault! Falling on your behind twice cost the US 2 points, 2 points that would've tied Japan in the scores, and if I understand the tie-breaking procedure correctly, would've given US the Silver. This would also have the blessed effect of booting the Brits off the podium. A world in which British men, of all things, can win a major gymnastics team title is just disturbingly wrong. :p

I find it terribly ironic that John Orozco was featured in awful pop-rap band B.O.B.'s video for the song "Fighter". He's not a fighter, he's a choker.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
A Brit just told me that the papers in the UK are treating their gymnastics bronze win as if Britain's won the soccer World Cup. I think overall, the Brits are overjoyed about it. It's the Ukrainians who feel particularly negative about their reversal of fortune.

heyang

Record Breaker
John Orozco said, after the competition, "I feel personally responsible. I did five events and I botched two." And I'm like, damn right it's your fault! Falling on your behind twice cost the US 2 points, 2 points that would've tied Japan in the scores, and if I understand the tie-breaking procedure correctly, would've given US the Silver. This would also have the blessed effect of booting the Brits off the podium. A world in which British men, of all things, can win a major gymnastics team title is just disturbingly wrong. :p

I find it terribly ironic that John Orozco was featured in awful pop-rap band B.O.B.'s video for the song "Fighter". He's not a fighter, he's a choker.

The US Men were 'off' from the start. You could see it in their faces before they even started. Unfortunately, it happens, especially with a young team; 4 of the 5 are expected to go for the Rio games. Others made costly mistakes, too; although I agree that, collectively, his deductions were the most damaging.

DId I miss it? I read that the US Men went from 8th to 5th based upon High Bar and I don't recall viewing any of it on TV.

Tonight we'll see if the Ladies can withstand the pressure and how Jordan recovers from her disappointment. Unfortunately for her, NBC will likely continue to harp on the rules. BTW, I found one article that said that 8 of the top 10 are from the 4 top teams. Without the rule in place, 10 of the top 24 would've been from the top 4 teams - so Jordan was not the only one who missed the AA due to this rule.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Holy Moses at McKayla Maroney's vault at the team finals! Nailed that landing! The best I've seen her land that vault. And she gets a massive score even when she doesn't nail that ending, so of course, she gets a huge one here. For my money, this vault is the most impressive moment of the Olympics yet. It's just the perfect combination of power, athleticism, control and beauty.

I rather like the last Canadian on floor, Victoria Morris. She showed she can actually dance, whereas most floor exercises nowadays are wretched parodies of dance.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Congratulations to China! Mostly congratulations to UK!!! Feel so bad for Ukraine as well as UK's 15 minutes dream. Can the judges double check the results before they post?! And congratulations to Japan, too.

Last edited:

Serious Business

Record Breaker
The US not only wins, but with a 5+ point margin! That is bigger than the winning margin of the Chinese men's team over the Japanese men's team, which takes place in a format with 2 more apparatuses. The US women's team was so dominant it was outright cruel. Everybody hit it out of the park. There was no faltering at all, maybe besides Raisman on beam, but so tiny a mistake that it's completely covered by the US team's huge lead.

I don't know why the Russians girls were crying. Yes, their final floor rotation was a mess. But they have to realize that they weren't in danger of losing silver, and there was no chance in hell they'd win gold even if they hit perfectly. Can't cry over spilled milk when it was never yours.

Speaking of crying, I love that Aly Raisman, who's normally so steely, broke down in tears of joy before her routine, the final one of the competition, even finished. She knew she sealed the deal.

Unsurprisingly, McKayla Maroney scored the single highest score so far awarded to a female gymnast: a massive 16.233 for her perfect vault. That thing was a monster, a beautiful monster.

Edited to add: Gabby Douglas competed on all 4 apparatuses, and of course, put up the highest total score of any gymnast who did. Her likely rival for gold in the all-around, Viktoria Komova, would've needed higher than a 14.833 on floor to beat Gabby (Komova was not sent out on floor). And Komova has never even gotten close to 14.833 on that. Had it been the all-around finals today, Douglas would've won. Of course, Gabby can be nervy and inconsistent now and then, so there's no guarantee she'll win all-around gold. But as the one athlete who put up massive scores on every apparatus to help USA win, Douglas is the MVP for the team.

Further edited to add: The US team had the highest score on all three apparatuses except uneven bar, where they were third. This is the highest overall combined ranking for a women's team going as far back as Wikipedia tracks these things (which goes back to the 1996 Olympics). And uneven bars was supposed to be the US' one big weakness. So much for that.

Last edited:

seniorita

Record Breaker
Congradulations on USA team,:clap::hb: that was a great competition, Douglas is my new favorite!!:rock: I loved her floor and beam of all. I lost the vault I m waiting to see the replay. My coverage was showing mostly italian, canadian and japanese rotations so I missed most things I wanted to see.
I can totaly understand the russian girls crying, it was an epic meltdown the FX and you dont want this to happen in your Olympics regardless of the medals.Besides after two rotations they were 0.4 begind USA then they had problems in beam too besides the floor mess.
And Romania for bronze :yay:

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Congrats to all the medalists! I hope this means we no longer have to consider Jordyn Weiber some sort of tragic figure. As I said earlier, I am sure that Kurt Browning would have loved a shot at a team gold in 1992 and 1994. Hopefully she will focus on the medal she won and not the one that got away... also, Gabby Douglas is too cute.

Congradulations on USA team,:clap::hb: that was a great competition, Douglas is my new favorite!!:rock: I loved her floor and beam of all. I lost the vault I m waiting to see the replay. My coverage was showing mostly italian, canadian and japanese rotations so I missed most things I wanted to see.
In case you haven't yet found it: Eurovision Sports = your friend. This is true for all European sports fans!

p.s. somewhere on that site they have replays of almost all of 2010 Worlds!

I am so thrilled. I can't wait to see it tonight. I'm so happy that it was done decisively, not just by nickels and dimes here and there. And what wonderful satisfaction this has to give Jordyn. She gets a gold after all.

Even if (God forbid) the girls get anxious for the all-around, every one of them can know that they are gold medalists no matter what. Perhaps this will give them some steadiness going into the next competition.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
I am so thrilled. I can't wait to see it tonight. I'm so happy that it was done decisively, not just by nickels and dimes here and there. And what wonderful satisfaction this has to give Jordyn. She gets a gold after all.

Even if (God forbid) the girls get anxious for the all-around, every one of them can know that they are gold medalists no matter what. Perhaps this will give them some steadiness going into the next competition.

I think you're right about how satisfying this must be for Jordyn. The US gymnastics Olympic program is very, very team-orientated. And for team USA to capture gold after going in as the favorite 2 times before, only to falter, I imagine there are a lot more kudos going around than there would be if an American woman won the all-around but the team failed to get gold (after all, an American woman winning the gymnastics all-around is pretty old hat by now). This is the first gold for team USA since 1996, which is a ridiculously long time for such a terrifyingly strong program (although I blame the brutal competition/training schedule the American women go through that induces injuries).

I don't think it'll necessarily take the pressure off. It might even increase it, as Aly and Gabby may feel like they are the ones on top having to defend. But I'm pretty sure at the end of it all, regardless of placement, they'll still be ecstatic about their team win.