Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Men's and Ladies' Gymnastics

Custom Title
    We won't spoil it for you!

When you watch, be sure to let us know your reaction. I think there's more tonight, as well. They didn't show all the pieces of apparatus last night.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    From the schedule, all the pieces of apparatus were not competed yesterday.

Today is Women's Uneven Bars, Men's Vault & Men's Rings.

Tomorrow is Women's Floor, Women's Beam, Men's High Bar, Men's Parallel Bars.

http://www.london2012.com/gymnastics...e-and-results/

Quote Originally Posted by SGrand View Post
    Oh I watched that too, was so entertaining, and very cute to see what was done 40 years ago compared to the craziness of today's gymnastics. He form was so perfect and I love her smile, a true entertainer, she totally changed gymnastics.
    I caught that segment, too and found it very interesting. I was only almost 6 in 1972; so, I don't recall watching at all. My 1st memory of Olympic gymnastics was 1976 with Nadia's 10's. By then Olga was the 'old one' and she seemed dour - to me. Seeing yesterday's segment on Olga was very enlightening and made me see her contributions to gymnastics and how delightful she was.

As someone else mentioned, the floor routine to music made a lot more sense back then. Today's routines are so jam packed that the dance moves seem more like throw aways while before hand they enhanced the routine.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I caught that segment, too and found it very interesting. I was only almost 6 in 1972; so, I don't recall watching at all. My 1st memory of Olympic gymnastics was 1976 with Nadia's 10's. By then Olga was the 'old one' and she seemed dour - to me. Seeing yesterday's segment on Olga was very enlightening and made me see her contributions to gymnastics and how delightful she was.

As someone else mentioned, the floor routine to music made a lot more sense back then. Today's routines are so jam packed that the dance moves seem more like throw aways while before hand they enhanced the routine.
    I remember seeing Olga back in '72. She not only broke down barriers for American's perceptions of Russians but she succeeded in charming most of the world able to watch the Olympics on TV.

The best moment for me on the NBC tribute ...besides her delightful routines ......was the meeting with Nixon. He called Olga "a little girl" and Olga said right back "you are a "big boy." Priceless

Olga's impact on USA and gymnastics can never be overstated.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I started updating from men, I just saw men rings, Zanetti was such surprise and how happy he was I m happy for Brazil!!!

Custom Title
    Brazil medaled? Terrific! I can't wait to see it.

Heyang, I can understand how you had a different view of Olga if the first time you saw her was in Montreal. I remember how used-up she seemed there. One of the side-effects of the new style of gymnastics was that it used up athletes pretty quickly. No more long lifespans at the top.

But Olga and Knysh, her coach, were the ones who started the whole ball rolling in 1972 in terms of making gymnastics more athletic, more daring, and more appealing to audiences. If you look at the medal-winning routines of Vera Caslavska of Czechoslovakia just four years earlier, you'll see how dainty and ladylike the routines were, though they were thrilling for their time. Then along came Olga and changed everything. People who were new to gymnastics and knew only Olga and the ones who followed wouldn't have been interested in Vera's routines at all if videos had been shown of them at that time. Suddenly they looked like a horse-drawn carriage next to a race car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ch-lNNNZjs

Here's Caslavska's floor exercise, to the Mexican Hat Dance (the Games were held in Mexico City)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NTFH...endscreen&NR=1

Caslavska was a noble athlete, who was an outspoken supporter of Alexander Dubcek and the Prague Spring of democratization in her country. When the Soviets marched in to put a stop to things in 1968, , she had to practice in basements. After the Olympics, she was made a nonperson by her country's new puppet government, forbidden to travel and forced into retirement.
    Last edited by Olympia; 08-06-2012 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by let`s talk View Post
    Yeah, M.Trankov called judging in gymnastics summer figure skating ("летнее фигурное катание") . The dude is right aftherall seems to me.
    um please translate the russian to english as we have no clue. thanx.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Just finished watching ladies vault and UB, what to say, vault seemed cursed, it looked it affected all ladies, I m sorry for Maroney, that was bad luck..she should have gone for imperfect landing better, her first vault was dreamy, i hate that she is the best by far and didnt win the gold medal. Chussovitina is a legend, her story and her child story is inspiring.
    Uneven bars, Mustafina was surreal

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    You must watch the men's vault finals, it is the most exciting, brilliant event for gymnastics at these Olympics! Every single competitor nailed at least one vault brilliantly. Many nailed two! Two competitors attempted vaults of staggering difficulty! The ambition, the form, the scores just kept going up and up, and rightfully so. Both the vaults of the silver and bronze medalists were particularly Herculean. But then there were the two vaults of the winner. Even with all the great vaults going around, these were in a class by themselves. The first vault got the highest single score given to a gymnast at these events, a record that stood for a few minutes when it was shattered later by the second vault. If you're in the US, NBC will likely show this relatively late at night. Try to catch it!

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    um please translate the russian to english as we have no clue. thanx.
    To clarify what let's talk already wrote in his/her original post:
    The translation of "летнее фигурное катание" is "summer figure skating."

And ... changing the subject - for those who had doubts about the sportsmanship of McKayla Maroney ‏@McKaylaMaroney, please read her tweets:

For anyone who thought I didn't want to hug Maria and Sandra that's not the case(: They are my friends, and I'm proud of them both!
    6:15 PM - 6 Aug 12

I wasn't thinking straight and I totally forgot what to do, but don't worry.. I gave them both hugs after!! <3
    6:21 PM - 6 Aug 12

Sportsmanship is so important to me and I hope you know i would never do that intentionally!! Please forgive me!!
    6:24 PM - 6 Aug 12
    Last edited by golden411; 08-06-2012 at 05:31 PM.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    You must watch the men's vault finals, it is the most exciting, brilliant event for gymnastics at these Olympics! Every single competitor nailed at least one vault brilliantly. Many nailed two! Two competitors attempted vaults of staggering difficulty! The ambition, the form, the scores just kept going up and up, and rightfully so. Both the vaults of the silver and bronze medalists were particularly Herculean. But then there were the two vaults of the winner. Even with all the great vaults going around, these were in a class by themselves. The first vault got the highest single score given to a gymnast at these events, a record that stood for a few minutes when it was shattered later by the second vault. If you're in the US, NBC will likely show this relatively late at night. Try to catch it!
    Holy hat, SB, you were right. Even I, knowing relatively zilch about men's vault, was transfixed. You've described it pretty aptly. How lovely when athletes have the night of their lives right there in the Olympics. The rings event was pretty amazing, too. I'm thrilled to see that two relatively unmedaled countries earned golds.

One thing that impressed me was how the guys all congratulated one another. Even the guy who expected to win at rings (the winner was a pretty sizable surprise to many) went over with a smile to embrace the gold medalist. In the vault, the other competitors all greeted the winner warmly. I wish the ladies had been able to manage that level of cordiality. I wonder why there is such a difference. Is it the relative age of the men vs. the "women"? The fact that men's careers seem to last longer than the girls' careers, so that the guys feel they have more chances? Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Last edited by Olympia; 08-06-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I am aghast that NBC didn't show half of the vaulters, including bronze medalist Igor Radivilov who had two absolutely fantastic vaults with a difficulty of 7.0 each. Even the guy who finished in last place, Britain's Kristian Thomas, had a fantastic run on his first vault, which has a 7.0 difficulty value, with just a tiny hop on the landing. The roof plain exploded when his score of 16.366 came in. He did sit down on the second vault, sending his score to the bottom. Kristian's vault is particularly interesting because I think he's one of the tallest male gymnasts at these games at 5 foot 11 (180 cm), compared to the gold and silver medalists who are both 5 foot 3 (around 160 cm). Seeing him nail a vault is just something else.

Spanish gymnast Isaac Botella Perez did two vaults that were worth "only" 6.6 (all the other gymnasts attempted at least one vault that's 7.0), but he had beautiful, balletic form in the air. It was worth seeing just for the grace of it.

NBC also should've done a better job of pointing out how nutty the difficulty attempted were. Denis Ablyazin attempted a 7.2 vault, and of course, Hak Seon Yang did his 7.4 vault. Near as I can tell, this is the highest combined difficulty attempted by the podium finishers at an Olympic/World Championship vaulting event.

Although, NBC's nationalistic focus on Samuel Mikulak did show me how generous of a sportsman he is. I didn't realize just how much cheering and love he gave to all his competitors. I did see him hug Hak Seon Yang on the BBC feed, but not the rest. Mikulak is a class act.

As for whether the ladies congratulate each other as much, maybe not to the same degree of ra-ra enthusiasm and chest-bumping like the men, but I have definitely seen female gymnasts of different countries hug and congratulate each other. During the NBC feed, you can see He Kexin of China go up to Mustafina to hug and congratulate her. I think men, at least in gymnastics, are given to a more boisterous kind of celebration that leads to noisier and more public displays of congratulations and friendship. Female gymnasts, for all their incredible strength, are perhaps still expected to be demure, so their camaraderie is less noticeable.
    Last edited by Serious Business; 08-06-2012 at 11:47 PM.

Custom Title
    Girls like crying, what can I say? I give them a pass. They're 14-18, still in high school. They're emotionally stunted because elite gymnastics is all they know. If they lose, it's completely devastating. The men are 20+ and have gone to college and have a bit of perspective.

Besides, not all men are perfect sportsman. I remember the brown gymnast (sorry don't remember his name) pouting under his starry blanket during the team finals.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Girls like crying, what can I say? I give them a pass. They're 14-18, still in high school. They're emotionally stunted because elite gymnastics is all they know. If they lose, it's completely devastating. The men are 20+ and have gone to college and have a bit of perspective.
    That was kind of my conclusion also. Mostly age, but also as you say a completely circumscribed life. Added to that, can you imagine how much harder it is for girls in countries where they don't even live at home or with host families but all live in a barracks in a training center?

SB, thanks so much for letting us know what went on that we didn't get to see. (And for your extra insight on the girls' behavior to one another.) Shame on NBC for not spending the few extra moments to show the bronze medalist. I agree that it's amazing to see a tall gymnast do well on things like vault. It was one reason Khorkina was so fascinating to watch among the ladies. These days, the skills for women depend on their having no bodies either vertically or horizontally.

And I agree about Sam Mikulak. What a breath of fresh air he is. Hope he stays on for Rio. Is it likely?

By the way, have the rhythmic gymnastics events occurred yet? I hope NBC will show some of that sport, which in many ways is my favorite aspect of gymnastics. There's an American contending (I don't know what her chances are), so I hope NBC will deign to show us five minutes of this splendid sport. Maybe they can show Michael Phelps as the guest commentator.
    Last edited by Olympia; 08-07-2012 at 06:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    Uneven bars, Mustafina was surreal
    I agree and love her bar routine.

Since this is a skating board we all are aware of the knee injury Dai suffered.
    Mustafina is only just back from reconstructive knee surgury and so nice to see her take the Gold after what she has been through.

I really this girl

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast