Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Men's and Ladies' Gymnastics

Custom Title
    I went back and read your earlier review (plus this immediately previous one) now that I've seen the beam finals. Thanks for breaking down the revised score for Raisman. I'm sorry that Ponor lost out on a medal, but she does have that previous gold. I really feel for Viktoria Komova. She just seems to have wilted completely.

My ears did perk up when I watched Deng Linlin outscore Sui Lu, who was described by the commentators as the current world champion on this apparatus. Interesting that Sui was so distressed about it. Poor things, we know that all gymnasts give up a lot for their sport, but as I understand it, the Chinese kids give up everything. It must make anything but victory feel like eating ashes, I imagine.

Oh no, again gutted for Jordyn. Oh, I wanted a gold on floor ex or any color. She has a good routine, few little mistakes.....Go win WC or Komova, I can't decide!

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    I've already seen the floor routines twice on the BBC feed, but seeing it again on NBC is just as fun! Aly Raisman was fantastic on floor. Beyond fantastic! She doesn't have the best lines, but they're not Shawn Johnson awful. And on this floor routine, she absolutely nailed every landing. Every move was controlled and perfectly placed. It was pure command throughout. She had the highest difficulty on floor, and still owned it more than any other gymnast at this event. A well deserved win.

Custom Title
    Raisman--superb!

And Ponor, also stupendous.

And I like that Raisman came up to her and congratulated her with a bit of an embrace.
    Last edited by Olympia; 08-07-2012 at 10:06 PM.

On rewatching the BBC feed and the NBC one, I don't find Afanasyeva as bad on this floor routine as I did initially. Sure, she made several mistakes, but the style and sizzle were still mostly there. Some of her dance shapes weren't as crisp, I thought, but not too bad. And she didn't face-plant! Afanasyeva remains my favorite gymnastic assassin. In fact, Afanasyeva has my favorite style and sense of movement of any gymnast at these Olympics.

I don't understand why the NBC commentators thought Ponor could've come close to Raisman, Ponor's difficulty level was waaaay too far away, and she had some tiny but noticeable execution mistakes (very crossed legs on the triple twist, which modern gymnastic judges hate). The only gymnast who could've challenged Raisman after her performance is Sandra Raluca Izbasa, who is the last to go.

Custom Title
    SB, thank you SO MUCH for alerting us to stay glued to the set for the men's high bar exercise. I've never seen anything like that sequence of routines. The gold medalist, Epke Zonderman, was up there in Superman territory, as in "you will believe a man can fly." The living end, as they used to say.

What is really funny is that I thought of ally as our rachael, but did not post it. The commentator just said they call her reliable Raisman! i can't believe it! Well, two girls did not win an individual medal, and given that jordan is the WC and a very good gymnast. It was not her event. But I know I could do a good job commentating as I am having esp no joke. Reliable Rachael Flatt = reliable all Raisman. Not nice lines, how true. I actucally prefer Shaun Johnson-she was adorable, but it is hard to have lines with her build and her very short legs. Something about Shaun was so magnetic next to cool taller, thinner nadia, who never smiled until she had won the allaround. This team will be fab 5 forever. Does team gold count as 5 golds? mckayla got silver on vault, Gabby got gold on all around and raisman got bronze (that was weird and I'm not sure fair as her coach did not want to contest it-strange) on beam and ally gold on all around. Gabby was really done after that all around. Fate, her prayers, it changes her family. She isn't as "wealthy" as the other girls so I am glad it is her if anyone.

So 8 medals in total for the American girls? I have no memory of how 1996 team did (7golds) on individual. I think Mustafina is very happy and deservedly so. Of who they showed, Ponor, Komova and Mustafina were the beautiful girls from the expected great teams. And the chinese were so perfect on beam. So far ahead of the rest.
    jonathan Horton did a great high bar. These men look, um incredible! Zonderland, wow! from the Netherlands. Worth seeing. Great for them. an gold medal.

NBC's broadcast didn't mention that Epke Zonderland and Jonathan Horton are good friends. The Beeb commentators said they're pen pals and plan to train together. And the two did hug and talk after bar.

Also, now that artistic gymnastics is over, time for a tally of the standout achievements of the amazing US women's team:

Gabby Douglas: contributed the most points to team USA's gold medal win; won the biggest prize, the all-around gold
    Aly Raisman: wins the most medals, a team gold, a floor gold and a beam bronze
    Mc Kayla Maroney: got the single highest score of any female gymnast at these Olympics for her vault during the team finals
    Kyla Ross: youngest member of team USA

And nothing for Jordyn Wieber!

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    So 8 medals in total for the American girls? I have no memory of how 1996 team did (7golds) on individual. I think Mustafina is very happy and deservedly so. Of who they showed, Ponor, Komova and Mustafina were the beautiful girls from the expected great teams. And the chinese were so perfect on beam. So far ahead of the rest.
    jonathan Horton did a great high bar. These men look, um incredible! Zonderland, wow! from the Netherlands. Worth seeing. Great for them. an gold medal.
    Actually no:
    Gold-Team
    Gold-All Around
    Silver-Vault
    Bronze-beam
    Gold-floor equals 5 medals 3 gold.

Believe it or not Russia has one more medal than USA 6.. But only 1 Gold... (Silver Team, Silver AA, Bronze AA, Bronze Vault, Gold Bars, Bronze Floor) Obviously four are thanks to Aliya who has more medals than any other gymnast these games and is by far the most decorated Russian athlete too! Thrilled for Miss Mustafina..

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    NBC's broadcast didn't mention that Epke Zonderland and Jonathan Horton are good friends. The Beeb commentators said they're pen pals and plan to train together. And the two did hug and talk after bar.

Also, now that artistic gymnastics is over, time for a tally of the standout achievements of the amazing US women's team:

Gabby Douglas: contributed the most points to team USA's gold medal win; won the biggest prize, the all-around gold
    Mc Kayla Maroney: got the single highest score of any female gymnast at these Olympics for her vault during the team finals

you forgot mckayla got silver on vault, And why so mean to the Weebs?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Interestingly, NBC showed a little retrospective of Olga Korbut from the 1972 Olympics this afternoon. I had forgotten how delightfully graceful her routines were, especially her floor routine. Of course the difficulty level in those days was much lower, so there was more possibility to execute a routine close to perfectly. .

Here is Dominique Dawes interviewing Olga.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GidXQhpHIs0

Some interesting thoughts from Olga and she does mention the "squirrel" as her favorite from the London games.
    A few other interesting views about changes in the scoring system and the equipment.

Thinking back, as much as I loved Olga's floor routines I didn't realize the floor had no spring back then.

I did not make a list of favorite Olympians (I have too many) but if I did Olga would be right up at the top.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-08-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    What is really funny is that I thought of ally as our rachael, but did not post it. The commentator just said they call her reliable Raisman! i can't believe it! Well, two girls did not win an individual medal, and given that jordan is the WC and a very good gymnast. It was not her event. But I know I could do a good job commentating as I am having esp no joke. Reliable Rachael Flatt = reliable all Raisman. Not nice lines, how true. I actucally prefer Shaun Johnson-she was adorable, but it is hard to have lines with her build and her very short legs. Something about Shaun was so magnetic next to cool taller, thinner nadia, who never smiled until she had won the allaround. This team will be fab 5 forever. Does team gold count as 5 golds? mckayla got silver on vault, Gabby got gold on all around and raisman got bronze (that was weird and I'm not sure fair as her coach did not want to contest it-strange) on beam and ally gold on all around. Gabby was really done after that all around. Fate, her prayers, it changes her family. She isn't as "wealthy" as the other girls so I am glad it is her if anyone.

Didn't the American girls get 5 medals? I thought it was Team, AA, and Floor golds, then a vault silver, and a beam bronze. There was one medal from the men: a bronze for Leyva in the AA. Team gold does not count as 5, it counts as 1.

Custom Title
    I reviewed them in my previous post on this thread, deedee1.
    Right! Sorry. Next time I am about to post mine, I will check your posts first.

Jordyn did contribute to Team Gold, as did Kyla. Ali also placed 4th in the all-around, which is nothing to sneeze at either especially since the tie breaker was needed.

BTW, Men's high bar was amazing.

Team US Men's needs a lot of work over the next 4 years.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast