Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Men's and Ladies' Gymnastics

Gabby will be on Leno tonight, the other guest listed is Michelle Obama....also a performance by Norah Jones.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-13-2012 at 04:23 PM.

I am staying up...Norah jones is to die for, and Gabby will be cute. Go michelle!

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Both Gabby & Aly said in an interview that they were going to be part of a tour of champions, so there are going to be exhibitions, whether there are any at the Olympics themselves or not.
    I think the tour has been well-publicized by now, but in case anyone is wondering:
    All of the Fierce Five are going on tour (along with other female and male gymnastics stars, incl. other Olympians).
    Their 40-city national tour will kick off in San Jose, California on September 8, 2012.
    http://usagym.org/pages/events/tour/cast.html
    http://usagym.org/pages/events/tour/

-

I found Aliya Mustifina's Floor music! Finally!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ild8_ZOjFYo

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    I think the tour has been well-publicized by now, but in case anyone is wondering:
    All of the Fierce Five are going on tour (along with other female and male gymnastics stars, incl. other Olympians).
    Their 40-city national tour will kick off in San Jose, California on September 8, 2012.
    http://usagym.org/pages/events/tour/cast.html
    http://usagym.org/pages/events/tour/

-
    Thanks for the heads up.

I remember before the CoP when figure skaters used to do similar tours in USA after the Olympics.

You can't blame the CoP for the bad economy that killed off the Tom Collins tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    You can't blame the CoP for the bad economy that killed off the Tom Collins tour.

Of course many factors can be considered but why do they feel more like weak excuses to me?

Why do you think so many track stars are getting a free pass regarding the doping?
    The sport is in trouble and needs heroes ands stars.

More scandals will do it irreparable harm.

Scandals....why does that word ring a bell?

And who said launching a 40 city tour in this economy would be easy?

Let's face it, in any economy a good product is needed to succeed.

And CoP skating ain't it.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-14-2012 at 05:27 PM.

I think the biggest Champions on Ice tour was 2002, following the Olympics. 93 cities. The skaters were exhausted.

Not every skater did every show. As I recall, Sarah Hughes, as Olympic champion, skated last in the shows at the beginning of the tour that she participated in. When Sarah dropped out, they put Michelle in that spot (Fields of Gold). But Alexei Yagudin said, hey, wait a minute. i'm a gold medal winner, too. Michelle only got bronze. So they let Yagudin skate last for a good portion of the tour.

http://heatherw.com/mk/pics/events/c..._open_judy.jpg

More Champions on Ice, 2002

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...rs/PRT2002.jpg

Ice Dancing and Johnny Fan MissIzzy's Avatar
    Um, Gymnastics is currently operating under its own version of CoP. One that the NBC commentators express confusion over and people tweet is destroying the sport(they also tweet that the Russians are overscored). Does anyone even post scoring protocols online?

To me, the gymnastics CoP is easier to understand that the figure skating sytem. (Not that I understand it, but anyway...)

What I got out of the commentary was that the difficulty score is predetermined by the tricks that you chose to include in your routine. So many points for a half-back-pikey-double-sommersault, etc. If you omit or fail to execute a planned element, the difficulty score is reduced accordingly.

This is sort of like the total element score in skating, but not really. In skating you do not have to do the tricks that you plan, you can substitute a later jump for one missed earlier, etc.

Then the Execution score. I guess this is sort of like GOE, except instead of giving bonus points for meeting certain bullets or for doing an element with extra flair, the only thing that counts is deductions for specific errors. One point for a fall, three tenths for having your legs come apart when they are supposed to be together, and like that.

There does not seem to be anything in gymnastics corresponding to program components. No one seems to care if the program as a whole is well-constructed, or if they pay attention to the music on the floor, or anything like that. The idea seems to be, do the tricks, get the score.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    To me, the gymnastics CoP is easier to understand that the figure skating sytem. (Not that I understand it, but anyway...)

What I got out of the commentary was that the difficulty score is predetermined by the tricks that you chose to include in your routine. So many points for a half-back-pikey-double-sommersault, etc. If you omit or fail to execute a planned element, the difficulty score is reduced accordingly.

This is sort of like the total element score in skating, but not really. In skating you do not have to do the tricks that you plan, you can substitute a later jump for one missed earlier, etc.

Then the Execution score. I guess this is sort of like GOE, except instead of giving bonus points for meeting certain bullets or for doing an element with extra flair, the only thing that counts is deductions for specific errors. One point for a fall, three tenths for having your legs come apart when they are supposed to be together, and like that.

There does not seem to be anything in gymnastics corresponding to program components. No one seems to care if the program as a whole is well-constructed, or if they pay attention to the music on the floor, or anything like that. The idea seems to be, do the tricks, get the score.
    The scoring for gymnastics is alot easier for me to follow and makes more sense.

First off we are told the value of the routine.....and let's face it, 15.5 is easier to relate to than 153.

Commentary helps those like me who might know what they like but are not knowledgeable enough to always know what was good or bad about the routine.

So the 15.5 routine was pretty well executed. We are told a tenth off here and a tenth off for the step on the landing.

The score comes up and we see a 15.3 and everybody has a good idea of what happened and WHY.

In skating it is just a colossal mess to figure out why Evan beat Plushenko by a tenth of a point when the scores are up in the 260's.

The code seems to fit gymnastics pretty well but for skating I find it lacks clarity.

To see a skater as great as Chan get booed for skating the system to near perfection is a terrible sign.
    It shows what the fans who care enough to attend a major Live event think about the CoP.

For crying out loud, fix the PCS already and stop trying to diminish the importance and tradition of great artistry and expression in skating.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-14-2012 at 09:55 PM.

take off the oven mitts
    re #265 by mm

1 point deduction for a fall, when a good gymnastic program scores approximately 16 to 18 points.

in a typical senior skating program worth about 100 points and up, a fall is worth only 1 point, with the skater receiving partial credit for rotation. is it so difficult to grasp why gymnastics scores make more sense to a watcher?

edited to make my post fit the higher level of discourse practiced here at GS
    Last edited by skfan; 08-14-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    The reason the COP is simpler for gymnastics than figure skating is because gymnastics is a lot simpler than figure skating! Gymnastics routines are much briefer and made up of predefined sets of moves. Not only are the moves, and the configurations thereof much simpler, but the way their execution can be scored is much simpler, too. Artistic gymnastics has a pretty strict and narrow aesthetic that all gymnasts must hew to to limit deductions: pointed toes, uncrossed legs during twists, straight arms on the bar, etc. There is very much an established version of the ultimate gymnast and how s/he is supposed to perform. Of course, all that came to life in Kohei Uchimura, who pretty much exemplifies what the FIG COP looks for.

Figure skating, on the other hand, has vastly more possibilities in the construction of routines, multiplied by even more ways to perform them well! And most importantly of all, unlike artistic gymnastics, interpretation of music, storytelling and emotional projection is a huge part of the score in figure skating, whereas in artistic gymnastics, that is only a tiny (and from what I can see, irrelevant) part of women's floor exercise.

It's little use in comparing the scoring system for one to the other. Artistic gymnastics, by nature, is much easier to quantify (though, of course, it's just as difficult if not more difficult than figure skating for the athletes). Figure skating's COP, as detailed as it is, can only achieve an approximation in containing all the possible details in a skating routine. So yes, figure skating's COP is going to be a more complicated and harder to understand, but that doesn't make it better or worse than artistic gymnastics' COP, because they're measuring very different things.

Custom Title
    Which is why I kind of let go of gymnastics, I think. I realized how much had changed when I looked back at Olga Korbut's floor routine from the 1972 Olympics. There was a reason for the music then.

If skating goes in that direction, we might as well be watching arm wrestling and dispense with the music altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    If skating goes in that direction, we might as well be watching arm wrestling and dispense with the music altogether.

I am sure that thought has crossed Dai's mind more than once.......................

I am starting to like gymnastics more than skating. That will probably change back by the time the Japan Open rolls around.

I miss skating like this and moments like this which seem to be gone from Men's skating today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqiIHxaMKK4

No boos for this legendary performance.
    Last edited by janetfan; 08-15-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast