Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Men's and Ladies' Gymnastics

I don't mind all the swimming... but then I don't care passionately for any summer sport so it's all the same to me...

what I did have issue with tonight from NBC was the commentators recapping John's disaster during the team event, and then one of them saying "but the one good thing about john is his consistency." Um, really? You just spent 2+ minutes telling us he crapped out and now you're trying to sell us on his consistency? Or are you telling us he's consistently crappy. Granted I just saw his pommel and I feel bad for saying that - because I'm one of those that do like the fluff pieces and find him to be completely likable - but it was just a DUH comment to make at that point...

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Afanaseva had the best floor in my opinion,despite the mistaek at the end, I ve missed watching gymnasts having a character and real choreography, some attitude and smile, without using the music as just background noise. Thats why she is the WC. 90% competed like robbots. Next favorite is Dougla's for the same reason, she looked like enjoying it and didnt make me anxious. Mustafina dissapointed me, she looked so worried in FX, she didnt sell it at all.

Custom Title
    I'll go back and look at Afanaseva's floor routine. I have been aware that floor routines aren't really interpretive anymore. I guess they have so many tricks to pack in, and they have to get so much speed in for their flips and jumps and whatnot that most of their routine just has to have them at a run. You can't do that in time to the music! I just hope that this isn't also the future of figure skating. Putting in all the flourishes and points-gathering elements might swamp the music, and at that moment I will be making for the door.

Missing Tdizzle and SDiggity golden411's Avatar
    Serious Business, I sincerely (truly sincerely - am not trying to be sarcastic) hope that NBC's coverage of the female gymnasts tonight will be more satisfactory to passionate fans like you. Enjoy!
    Because two Americans are very strong contenders for the all-around gold (and because of all the attention over the absence of Wieber from the all-around final), my hunch is that gymnastics will get more airtime tonight than last night.

I have other thoughts on our discussion, but in case I don't get around to posting them later, want to quickly pass along this link to the official White House blog, which has a photo of Obama on Air Force One as he was on the phone with Maroney, Ross, Raisman, Douglas, and Wieber yesterday.
    http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2012/...campaign=daily
    Last edited by golden411; 08-02-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Like subtlety in ice dancing Serious Business's Avatar
    We start on vault with the top group!

Gabby Douglas fires off a thunderous vault, she takes a small hop to the side, but manages to sway herself just so to keep her feet from touching the red. She does this with a big grin.

Aly Raisman explodes into her vault, but takes a step forward on the landing. She winds up with a lower score than Gabby. The two, as expected, are 1 and 2 in the overall standings after vault.

Komova does her Amanar, but has a side step or two entirely off the mat on the landing.

Oh Rei Tanaka, if you're going to shake your hips during your routine, commit to the movement. Don't just shift your hip slightly to the side awkwardly, like you're trying to stealthily poot in an elevator. Her floor music is a combination of Pink Panther and James Bond. As a longtime Bond fan, I am offended.

Marta Pihan-Kulesza wins best hair at this event.

Aly Raisman has a sloppy and simple uneven bar routine, but no major mistakes.

Komova does an absolutely perfect uneven bar routine. She's about to grab the lead. And she does, with over a 1 point over Aly Raisman.

Gabby Douglas does a near-perfect bar routine. Flies around like it's nothing. And nails the landing (maybe with a tiny fidget). Team USA's only decent bar worker works it. She gets a massive score of 15.733 that puts her, for now, over Komova! At this point in the team competition, Douglas was behind Komova!

Love the neck shuffle in Hannah Whelan's floor. Really, gymnasts, it's OK to throw in dance moves other gymnasts aren't doing.

More to come.
    Last edited by Serious Business; 08-02-2012 at 11:25 AM.

Komova had small adjustments on three of her moves that I can count on beam. She took a step on the landing, but managed to keep her feet within the mat. A grin emerges. She feels redeemed on the apparatus. She gets over .4 higher than her beam score in the team finals. The gold medal fave is on her way!

Hannah Whelan lands flat on her belly on vault. She is unhurt, but that's definitely not the way to go.

Deng Linlin is, as Peggy Fleming used to love to say, solid as a rock on her best apparatus, beam. She has an adjustment on a leap, a fidget on something else, one small step back on the landing, but otherwise, a total redemption from her beam meltdown at the team final.

Oh dear lord, Mustafina falls off beam in one of her first moves. The former world champ looks disheartened.

Gabby on beam. I'm so nervous my eyeballs feel sweaty. But yes! No major errors. A leg went up here unintentionally, a fidget there, and a small step on the landing. But she did not have one of her potential silly falls on the beam! She's likely guaranteed herself a spot on the podium.

Larisa Andre Iordache finishes her first tumbling pass on floor with seemingly no problem. But just when you think she's got the landing stopped, she takes another two steps back to go out of bounds. She moves on without even a shrug. This girl is fearless. Reminds me of her routine on beam a few minutes back where she had an adjustment on a move and as soon as she finds her balance, impatiently hurries into the next move like she doesn't have the time to consider mistakes.

Oh my stars and garters, Gabby Douglas punches a massive 15.500 on beam and goes into first place. Let's see how she handles a frontrunner with just floor left.

Aly Raisman has a massive form break on beam, where she had to bend over with both arms grabbing the beam to keep herself on (she does manage to raise her free leg, though. That is enough to make the rest of her performance a bit nervy. A few adjustments, then on the pirouette, she was so wild on it the audience gasped loudly. She kept it on, though. A step forward on the landing. She gets pummelled in the scores and drops to 5th. Luckily, this is right before her best event: floor. She should be able to gain ground over her podium obstacles.

Vanessa Ferrari does a floor routine to music so dramatic it'd be fit for Russian ice dancers. However, the emotions of the music seem to have zero relations to what she's projecting/performing. I was slightly excited at first to hear music that isn't just perky techno straight from a cheerleader's mix on floor, but Ferrari made no use of it.

Speaking of perky music on floor, Deng Linlin does a routine to exactly that, some fierce flamenco music with a, you guessed it, techno beat. She is forced to grin widely to suit the music. It looks about as natural as her official age. She earns a slightly subpar score and will not contend for the podium despite not making any major mistakes.

Mustafina also does not make any major errors on floor. She gets a respectable score and did about as well she could to earn a place on the podium.

Gabby Douglas on floor! Man is she rambuctious, there may even be a bit of adrenaline at work, as she almost goes out of bounds on a move, and overrotates her pirourette a touch. But really, that's just nitpicking. She was flaw-free basically. The scores are in! It's over 15! Komova would need to earn an impossible 15.359 on floor to take gold now. I think Gabby Douglas just earned herself the Olympic all-around championship!

Aly Raisman explodes all over the floor, I am almost too excited for Gabby to pay much attention. I do notice enough to see Raisman did great. And now it remains to see if teh scores will land her on the podium. She's now in third for now. I don't think it'll be enough for the podium but we'll have to see about Komova.

Komova does a floor routine to a medley of iconic British music. I hear Queen! I hear Amy Winehouse! I am officially a fan! Komova finally bursts into an unabashed grin at the end of her routine. Tears of joy flow and she looks both relieved and very, very happy.

Everybody cranes their necks for the scores. The tension! It is too much! GABBY DOUGLAS WINS! OH MY STARS AND GARTERS! Komova second and Mustafina third. Komova's earlier joy immediately melts away as she goes back into what appears to be sad, sad bawling. Oh, come on, Komova, you did as great as you could've and earned two silvers so far! Mustafina, after her injuries and hiatus, looks glad just to be on the podium. Raisman looks disappointed at her 4th place finish and wipes away a bit of a tear. She is actually tied with Mustafina in the total score, but lost out on a tiebreaker somewhere. So close!

As for the golden girl? I've seen her look happy, perky, ecstatic in terms of joyful emotions. But now, she's crying tears of joy. She looks genuinely touched.
    Last edited by Serious Business; 08-02-2012 at 12:19 PM.

Douglas was overscored - Komova deserved that gold...

Quote Originally Posted by DianaSelene View Post
    Douglas was overscored - Komova deserved that gold...
    Gabby Douglas is deservedly first on vault and beam. She was behind but close enough to Komova on bars. And I actually think Komova was overscored a bit on floor where she winds up with a massive score of 15.1 (but Komova could've had a bigger score on bars, so it all evens out). The very aerodynamic Douglas earned two first place among the apparatuses, and 3rd and 4th on others. Komova got no lower than 3rd on any apparatus, but no firsts either (not even on bars, surprisingly, where Mustafina trumped her teammate). The final margin is close but not that close. The judges got it right.

Anyway, massive congrats to Douglas, who went from never winning any major international individual titles to winning the biggest one. She is truly an all-around gymnast. There is no apparatus she's not astonishing on. Her only weakness was that sometimes pointless mistakes would creep in due to a possible lack of focus. But that did not happen at all at these games. And when Gabby is on, she's unbeatable, as she proved.

Is Gabby the first African-American/Black gymnast to win the all around?

Quote Originally Posted by Tonichelle View Post
    Is Gabby the first African-American/Black gymnast to win the all around?
    Absolutely! Historical!

She is going to overload the talkshow circuits with her cuteness when she gets back.

Also, the Fab/Fierce Five managed to outdo the Magnificent Seven, IMO. The MS never managed to get even close to the podium in the all-around. The FF's MVP, on the other hand, hopped, skipped and flew to gold with nary a doubt.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    That was way better than the men, what a competition , I love the podium so much!!!

What is the tie breaker now? I wish they had two bronzes like in other sports, tie in AA is insane!

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    Gabby Douglas is deservedly first on vault and beam. She was behind but close enough to Komova on bars. And I actually think Komova was overscored a bit on floor where she winds up with a massive score of 15.1 (but Komova could've had a bigger score on bars, so it all evens out). The very aerodynamic Douglas earned two first place among the apparatuses, and 3rd and 4th on others. Komova got no lower than 3rd on any apparatus, but no firsts either (not even on bars, surprisingly, where Mustafina trumped her teammate). The final margin is close but not that close. The judges got it right.

Anyway, massive congrats to Douglas, who went from never winning any major international individual titles to winning the biggest one. She is truly an all-around gymnast. There is no apparatus she's not astonishing on. Her only weakness was that sometimes pointless mistakes would creep in due to a possible lack of focus. But that did not happen at all at these games. And when Gabby is on, she's unbeatable, as she proved.
    Everyone has his/her own opinion. However, Douglas was overscored on bars where she got about 0.4 greater than in team finals with almost the same performance. Her floor was not better than Komova's who had an awesome floor routine and had less errors. Their beam was about the same. I would only give her the edge on vault. But le'ts not turn this into an argument. I don't want to go into a figure skating argument such as D/W vs V/M or Plush vs Lysacek. To each their own.

No worries, DianaSelene, and no hard feelings! It's not worth fighting over and I feel too happy about Douglas' win to get upset at anything about it.

Also, I hope Wieber feels better now with Douglas' win, both because her teammate and friend won, and because Wieber has to know she couldn't have beaten Douglas today. So that all-around gold was likely not hers this time anyway. Although no doubt as a fierce competitor, Wieber would've just simply wanted the chance to go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serious Business View Post
    No worries, DianaSelene, and no hard feelings! It's not worth fighting over and I feel too happy about Douglas' win to get upset at anything about it.

Also, I hope Wieber feels better now with Douglas' win, both because her teammate and friend won, and because Wieber has to know she couldn't have beaten Douglas today. So that all-around gold was likely not hers this time anyway. Although no doubt as a fierce competitor, Wieber would've just simply wanted the chance to go for it.
    I agree and Gabby was the best in London.

Jordan still knows she could have had a shot at the podium though.....so not so sure how "happy" she is.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast