Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: DWTS All-Stars

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    In general, I'm a bit sorry that football players seem to have an automatic edge over everyone else, unless they're real stiffs, but what are you going to do. Team sports are the most popular viewing pleasure in the U.S. It's not as if a cash prize is at stake, and realistically, everyone who goes on that show can end up benefiting from the exposure, so it's a win-win situation. This time around I was a bit more disappointed that Donald won, because he didn't have the fluidity that Emmit had. But he wasn't awful, and he improved through the season as well.

One group that is conspicuously absent from the All-Stars is the young Disney contestants. They've generally been both stellar and popular with the audience--Sabrina Bryan, Kyle Massey, and Roshon Fegan are the ones I recall. Maybe they weren't free because of other obligations, but it's too bad. (I know that Kyle was in the touring live show.) Maybe if this season is successful, there will be another one in the future.
    Actually, it's athletes who generally have the advantage. If you look at past winners, athletes comprise the largest % of winners. Generally, they are physically co-ordinated and know how to train and compete. If they have any sense of rythym, they are in the finale. I think Clyde Drexler probably had the most difficulty due to his extreme height and his partner's petiteness - I don't think they have basketball players fill the athlete niche anymore.

Sabrina and Kyle are both in the wild card category as related to participating. I'd rather see either one of them before Carson. The 2 of them can dance. Carson's comic, but not the best dancer of the 3.

Just an average girl
    I also agree with you about the fan base of the pros. I know that Ashley del Grosso was so endearing that she probably got a few votes for Mr. P. well past his freshness date. And Kate's partner was the popular Tony Dovolani.

One group that is conspicuously absent from the All-Stars is the young Disney contestants. They've generally been both stellar and popular with the audience--Sabrina Bryan, Kyle Massey, and Roshon Fegan are the ones I recall. Maybe they weren't free because of other obligations, but it's too bad. (I know that Kyle was in the touring live show.) Maybe if this season is successful, there will be another one in the future.
    Sabrina and Kyle were both in the Las Vegas show, which I think was extended and is still running. It will be interesting to see who gets the 13th spot. I think Sabrina is largely forgotten, but who knows.

Disney and ABC are part of the same company. As long as DWTS exists, there will be Disney kids among the celebrities.

The only contestant I think won't stand a chance is Kelly Monaco. I predict she's the first one eliminated. I hope she's not foisted onto Tristan or Val. They both deserve someone a little more gifted.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie Cut View Post

The only contestant I think won't stand a chance is Kelly Monaco. I predict she's the first one eliminated. I hope she's not foisted onto Tristan or Val. They both deserve someone a little more gifted.
    You're forgetting the loyalty of the soap fans. Kelly is portrays a major role on ABC's remaining soap opera. GH fans (and fans of the cancelled AMC and OLTL) will likely vote for her just to show ABC that soap fans are a strong presence. While John Hurley was better at the standard ballroom dances, Kelly was better than him at the Latin dances. She also improved significantly during her abbreviated season - whereas JH did not show as much improvement. It's possible that her standard dances would've improved with another week or two, as well. Physically, she's in better shape now than she was when DWTS season 1 occurred. Afterwards, she also performed in a cabaret show in Vegas. So, while she hasn't danced ballroom in a while, I would still put her ahead of Pam Anderson and Bristol Palin as related to dancing.

Forgot to add that Kelly's biggest issue might her work schedule. Her character is part of a major plot line right now. The writers may or may not be able to lessen her dialogue by September or do some advance filming, etc.

Sabrina is a great dancer, but she didn't have the fan base to get her to the end. Other than DWTS and Cheetah Girls (which I only heard of because of DWTS. Is the group even still together?), I don't know if she's 'current' anymore.

Kyle Massey was also fun to watch, but as a supporting actor in a show that's no longer on air, I dont' know if he has strong fan base support.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2012/07/31/da...-15-all-stars/

Above site has their 'rankings' of the All-Stars. Not sure if I agree with all of it.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Actually, it's athletes who generally have the advantage. If you look at past winners, athletes comprise the largest % of winners. Generally, they are physically co-ordinated and know how to train and compete. If they have any sense of rythym, they are in the finale. I think Clyde Drexler probably had the most difficulty due to his extreme height and his partner's petiteness - I don't think they have basketball players fill the athlete niche anymore.

Sabrina and Kyle are both in the wild card category as related to participating. I'd rather see either one of them before Carson. The 2 of them can dance. Carson's comic, but not the best dancer of the 3.
    I didn't mean a physical advantage. I think football players have a fan base advantage. They're physically coordinated and know how to train and compete, as you say. But often they're less graceful than other contestants. What puts them over the top again and again is fan votes. Someone like Apolo Ohno isn't that well known outside of fans of that sport, so it's more of an uphill battle for an athlete in an obscure sport to get voters to choose him/her over some other contestant. Football players are known by everyone. That's more what I meant.

I don't think that was missed on anyone, Olympia... but like Ang says - football players aren't the only one: soap stars and basketball players also get a lot of help from their fans.

Custom Title
    Oh. Okay. With that I agree; soap stars certainly have a following. And Osmonds! And basketball players to, of course, though their height often makes them less graceful, so they lose votes with the general public.

Not that I mind that the more popular or better known celebrities get more votes. Followers mean viewers, which mean ratings. That keeps a show going and popular. I don't get as distressed if "my" dancers don't win as I would if, say "my' skaters don't win at the Olympics. These things are going to happen. The only time it bothers me is if a clearly less talented contestant beats someone who's really good. I mean, if Metta World Peace had made it all the way to the end on the strength of his sports excellence, I'd have been very peeved.

I always find it interesting that models often get the fewest votes. I guess this proves that the show is watched mostly by women.

I wouldn't say it isn't watched by as many men... it's just that they don't vote as often/hard.

I always find it interesting that models often get the fewest votes. I guess this proves that the show is watched mostly by women.
    For me, most of the models on DWTS haven't been particularly graceful. They seem very stiff. I don't know if any of the models have had a big fan base either - I had never heard of most of them before DWTS and don't recall all of them after DWTS either.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2035...620513,00.html

Link to the pairs.. surprised that some were re-matched with their prior pro's.

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan! blue dog's Avatar
    I actually like that Bristol Palin appears on this--she's like the Tonya Harding of DWTS.

^ Except that Tonya Harding could skate.

well it's not like she could get a "real job"

Hmmm... http://www.people.com/people/article...621994,00.html

I'm not sure what to think...

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast