Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: DWTS All-Stars

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    They showed Bristol griping a bit during her rehearsal about how Mark isn't supporting her and the judges don't love her, and I kept thinking of Kirstie, who has real obstacles, all that extra weight, and forty extra years, and she never complains.

And Shaun and Derek! What a phenomenally creative routine. Derek must be thrilled that he has a partner who can jump so high and do anything, anything he dreams up. And can even dream up amazing tricks herself. That was a pure thrill ride.
    Bristol acted like a big baby...couldn't believe it!! I agree that Kirstie has some issues to deal with and poor baby Bristol just thought Mark wanted another partner...I bet he did though.

Custom Title
    And he's been so loyal to her, very supportive (at least what we've seen telecast).

Bristol forgets that Mark went further in competition with her vs Sabrina - although Sabrina was eliminated much too early during her season. It was definitely very childish to accuse Mark of acting unprofessionally. At least she knows she's not as a good a dancer as compared to Shaun or Sabrina. Oh, well. Bristol isn't the 1st celeb/pro to have a temper tantrum and walk out of rehearsal on DWTS - sometimes you just need a breather.

It was Bristol's best dance ever, but that still leaves it way behind as compared to the all-stars and other former contestants. While the judges comments are made to the specific dancers, at least, their scores are based upon placements. I would've stopped watching if they had scored her higher. Seriously, it's time for the Palin's and her son's father Levy to exit the public eye.

I enjoyed Apolo, Shaun and Kelly the most last night. Gilles was # 4. Kelly has definitely improved greatly since season 1 - considering it was a shorter season, she's picked up where she left off and improved her skills to rise to the occasion. She's not perfect, but she's definitely competitive. Shaun's routine was fabulous - I'm sure they would've gotten 10's if not for the deductions by Carrie Ann and Len.

Emmett's paso lacked some 'command' last night. I think he's better at the Latin and fun dances - i.e. I think his best routine from his 1st season was a Samba.

For me, the double elimination should be Bristol and Kirstie.

It will be interesting to see what dance a celebrity chooses for Bristol & Mark tonight. I hope it's something fast & intricate!

Oh, that dance of Shaun and Derek's! I loved the part where they took 2 backward steps and then into a split! Kudos to them for being so flexible and they got up fast. Loved it. No wonder the judges said it was the best dance in 15 seasons.

Let's not forget Derek's backflip too!

Custom Title
    And they did it again tonight, as the encore dance. Lucky us! Man, what height they get in their leaps. An inspired pairing, to put the fearless Shaun with the inventive and effervescent Derek. I can't imagine a better pairing, not even Shaun and Mark.

Costume thoughts: I really disliked Sabrina's costume with the pretend nude panel in the middle. It's a bit vulgar, I thought, and it doesn't suit her figure. (I'm not sure it suits anyone's figure.) By contrast, I loved Bristol's costume, and Mark's also. They were imaginative but graceful, and Bristol's showed off her pretty face. My favorite paired costumes, though, might be Helio's and Chelsie's. The crisp black-and-white combinations make beautiful plays of texture and shape as they danced.
    Last edited by Olympia; 10-09-2012 at 08:57 PM.

I agree about Sabrina's dress. It didn't compliment her.

as related to tonight's results, I'm not happy, but I'm not surprised either.

Custom Title
    Me neither, Heyang. I expected something like this, but I'm so sad to see both couples go. This is a difficult season to watch, because everyone (nearly) is so good that great dancers will be sent home just about every week.

For some reason I loved Karina's costume.

I thought for sure Bristol would go home due to her melt down...and being so childish.

I love watching Gilles....wow!! Shaun was spectacular!!!

Wasn't Maks pretty?? He looked really pretty.

Custom Title
    Yes, Dee, Maks was pretty.

I agree about Gilles, too--no surprise there. He isn't just a good dancer. He projects power and come-hitherness. Who could resist if a guy like that wanted to dance with one of us?

Emmitt's paso doble reminded me how wonderful Mario Lopez was. Mario didn't just give that paso double more grace, he also narrated it better. He took me into the music itself and into the story that was unfolding through the song. By contrast, Emmitt just did impressive movements and feats in time with the music. Not that I don't love Emmitt, but his strength lies elsewhere. His cha-cha to "Son of a Preacher Man" in his first season was just delightful.

I can't get over how charismatic Shaun is. Somehow I don't expect gymnasts to be such assured performers. That's not what they specialize in. Daring, yes--among the bravest athletes in the whole spectrum of sports daredevils. But most of them are kind of businesslike about what they're doing. (Well, except Gabby Douglas and Mary Lou Retton, of course.) Shaun is like Charlie Chaplin out there. It's as if she was born for the spotlight.

Custom Title
    I just love watching Shaun! I think one reason is that I basically love gymnastics, but for some years I've found it so worrisome that so many gymnasts are very little, very young girls who don't completely realize how dangerous their tricks are. (Our current Americans seem a bit less fragile, thank goodness.) Whereas at this point, Shaun is a grown-up, plus she's a strong, sturdy-looking kid, not a little wisp who seems always to be deprived of food.

Also, one of the GS posters pointed out this summer that because of the demands of points, and the increased acrobatic possibilities brought on by the sprung floor, the gymnastics floor routine is less and less tied to the music. By contrast, here in DWTS, Shaun is actually getting to use her amazing acrobatic skills to dance to music. It's just intoxicating to watch her and her ideal partner, the brave and inventive Derek, make such magic on the dance floor (or in midair, half the time).

And Gilles and Peta...what a stunning dance in the spirit of Bollywood! Those two pairs seem to be the class of the field at this stage in the competition, though I'm sure Apollo will keep up with them. He's up next.

Custom Title
    Totally agree! They are the top two couples! I'm surprised at how much I like Shawn this time; she's grown into a lovely young woman. I do hope Sabrina/Louis and Melissa/Tony can stick around for a while as these 2 pros have never had too many chances to soar with their former partners. It's fun seeing how excited they are about it. I still don't feel that Bristol belongs but I do acknowledge that she has really improved. And what a surprise Kelly has turned out to be! I did not think she would be as good as this. Her work ethic is certainly impressive.
    And is it just me? As soon as I heard that Kelly/Val were going to do contemporary, I giggled and thought, this means barefoot and in underwear, looking intense. And that's what happened. Is that what contemporary dance is? Always undressed and looking tormented? Not really annoyed by it but I do find it humourous.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    And Gilles and Peta...what a stunning dance in the spirit of Bollywood! Those two pairs seem to be the class of the field at this stage in the competition, though I'm sure Apollo will keep up with them. He's up next.
    I love Gilles and thought he did an excellent job with the bollywood routine.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    And what a surprise Kelly has turned out to be! I did not think she would be as good as this. Her work ethic is certainly impressive.
    And is it just me? As soon as I heard that Kelly/Val were going to do contemporary, I giggled and thought, this means barefoot and in underwear, looking intense. And that's what happened. Is that what contemporary dance is? Always undressed and looking tormented? Not really annoyed by it but I do find it humourous.
    Yes, I'm impressed by Kelly. She's so tiny and fierce, and she obviously takes this opportunity hugely seriously.

I'm chuckling over your impression of contemporary. I can see how the temptation would be to do something hugely emotional for the contemporary dance in a show like this, although strictly speaking, that's the dance style with the greatest possibility for variation in emotion because it's not a specific type of music, is it? Not like paso double or cha-cha, which always have to be a certain rhythm.

Custom Title
    Well I must say that I like tonight's results. But now I don't want to lose any of them. They're all doing so well. Had a few worries about Susan Boyle though. She looked ill. Or completely overwhelmed by singing with Donny Osmond.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast