Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: DWTS All-Stars

Custom Title
    She may well have been overwhelmed about singing with Donny. I think she has publicly stated that she had a huge crush on him as a young girl. (He was her generation's heartthrob, I think--he was born a few years before her.) Additionally, she's not used to performing live before a huge audience even now; her late career start means that she lacks the years of experience that someone like Donny has, or Elaine Page. What impressed me is that as nervous as she clearly was, her voice remained true and supple. She just wavered on a note or two, but otherwise was on pitch. What an instrument she has! There are people with huge careers who have a lot less of a natural gift than she has. She's clearly emotionally fragile. I hope she's able to sustain her career, because her voice has so much to give listeners.

The other thing that impressed me hugely was how Donny "sheltered" her while she sang. He clearly was trying to calm her, in the most easy, natural way possible. This is definitely one of nature's gentlemen. Considering that he's been a star since he was about five, he seems incredibly free of ego and self-centeredness.

he suffers from fear of the audience (more than stage fright). That's why for a long time he was out of the public eye all together.

Custom Title
    Really? I didn't realize that. Then that makes him all the more impressive. What a great guy he seems to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Really? I didn't realize that. Then that makes him all the more impressive. What a great guy he seems to be.
    he "came out" with that in the early 2000s... right around the time he and Marie had their talk show... I loved that show...

I love Donny Osmond... it's a unnatural "obsession"... I blame the Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat on video....

Custom Title
    I love Donny too. He was a huge teen heartthrob when he was thirteen, fourteen years old, and then later he and Marie had a very popular variety music show on TV. During those years, he was a household word and scream magnet the way Justin Bieber is now. Yet somehow, he's managed to lead a relatively sane life, keep his commitment to his wife and kids, and behave with what I can only interpret as modesty. Compare his life path to that of his contemporary and fellow child singing star, Michael Jackson.

Donny seems like one of those glitterati who feel a responsibility to their fans; he treats his well from all I've heard. Good singer, too. (I've seen videos of his performances of some of the "Joseph" songs.) If you have a crush on Donny, you've chosen the object of your celeb affection well.
    Last edited by Olympia; 10-17-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrufflet View Post
    Had a few worries about Susan Boyle though. She looked ill. Or completely overwhelmed by singing with Donny Osmond.
    My family are big fans of Susan Boyle. Susan says that she has problems performing before an audience. Her first few notes were a little off and then I noticed her putting her hand into Donny's and then she was OK. She loves Donny; I think Donny was able to make her feel secure.

Susan has a new album coming out on November 13th. I can't wait to get it. The name is The Greatest Songs From The Stage.

Here is a list of the songs

1. Somewhere Over The Rainbow
    2. The Winner Takes It All
    3. Send In The Clowns
    4. The Music Of The Night featuring Michael Crawford
    5. Bring Him Home
    6. Memory
    7. As Long As He Needs Me
    8. All I Ask Of You featuring Donny Osmond
    9. Out Here On My Own
    10. You ll Never Walk Alone
    11. This Is The Moment featuring Donny Osmond

Yay Donny music!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    My family are big fans of Susan Boyle. Susan says that she has problems performing before an audience. Her first few notes were a little off and then I noticed her putting her hand into Donny's and then she was OK. She loves Donny; I think Donny was able to make her feel secure.

Susan has a new album coming out on November 13th. I can't wait to get it. The name is The Greatest Songs From The Stage.

Here is a list of the songs

1. Somewhere Over The Rainbow
    2. The Winner Takes It All
    3. Send In The Clowns
    4. The Music Of The Night featuring Michael Crawford
    5. Bring Him Home
    6. Memory
    7. As Long As He Needs Me
    8. All I Ask Of You featuring Donny Osmond
    9. Out Here On My Own
    10. You ll Never Walk Alone
    11. This Is The Moment featuring Donny Osmond

That looks like a wonderful album! I love Boyle. Even seeing how nervous she was, I could hear that true, open tone in her voice. She has a wonderful gift, and I'm always thrilled when I see her using it, after all those deprived years. Soon after she performed that first time on Britain's Got Talent, I found her rendition of "Cry Me a River" online. She sounded like the kind of singer you'd listen to in dead of night, when the world was empty of any other sympathetic souls--a bona fide torch singer, in other words. She's obviously had just enough training to know how to place her breath, but not enough for her to have developed a processed, flamboyant delivery. She has a simple, naturalistic style, but her voice is definitely a quality instrument, very fresh and youthful, and she can make a connection to the emotion in a song.
    Last edited by Olympia; 10-17-2012 at 11:25 PM.

One of my friends met Donny in Vegas. My friend was in Vegas for 2 weeks to celebrate his 50th - one night he was waiting for the elevator in the Flamingo hotel and realized he was standing next to Donny. So, he got his picture taken with Donny - said he was really nice and cool about the picture, etc.

I missed about he 1st 1/2 of DWTS this week - I'll have to go and watch. I thought Shaun and Kelly were great and Kelly had a brokent toe, as well.

During the original Gilles vs SHaun season, I really thought Gilles should've won. However, Shaun's matured so much in the last few years and I find myself appreciating her a lot more.

Based upon the show, Gilles and Shaun have the highest overall scores... so, it might be a repeat for the top 2.....

Happy now that Bristol's gone...... While I do like Kirstie the celebrity, it is time for her to go home, as well. She probably should've been gone before Drew and Helio and Joey Fatone... JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    Happy now that Bristol's gone...... While I do like Kirstie the celebrity, it is time for her to go home, as well. She probably should've been gone before Drew and Helio and Joey Fatone... JMHO.
    I agree with most of what you said....except that Kirstie can go now that Bristol's gone and Bristol should have gone home before Drew, Helio and Joey.

I agree with most of what you said....except that Kirstie can go now that Bristol's gone and Bristol should have gone home before Drew, Helio and Joey.
    I definitely didn't intend to imply that Bristol should've been around this long. She should've gone home right after Pam Anderson.... overall, she should've never appeard on DWTS since Bristol did not 'earn' her celebrity status. If her mother hadn't been a candidate for VP, Bristol wouldn't have been known outside of Alaska.

Custom Title
    Have to agree with heyang and dee4707. I expect Kirstie will go this week although there could be a surprise. I heard Melissa had a fall. At this point, I really like them all and am going to be sorry to see any of them go. And a question! What on earth do they do to top this season? I think the all-star format has reinvigorated the show. So next time? Let pros choose celebrities?

Custom Title
    I heard about Melissa's injury--it sounds terrifying. I hope she doesn't come back sooner than she should. I still shake when I remember Hines falling on Kim a few seasons ago. I thought he had snapped her neck. There's an element of extra danger when an inexperienced partner is dancing above his or her level, and the danger can be to the pro as well as to the partner.

Scrufflet, what an inspired idea, having the pros choose their celebrities. I wonder what you'd get as a result.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    I definitely didn't intend to imply that Bristol should've been around this long. She should've gone home right after Pam Anderson.... overall, she should've never appeard on DWTS since Bristol did not 'earn' her celebrity status. If her mother hadn't been a candidate for VP, Bristol wouldn't have been known outside of Alaska.
    Heyang, I totally agree what you're saying about Bristol. I was going to say something about Sarah but I will bite my tongue. Heyang, I always respect your comments.

Heyang, I totally agree what you're saying about Bristol. I was going to say something about Sarah but I will bite my tongue. Heyang, I always respect your comments.
    Thanks, Dee. I always enjoy and respect what you have to say, too.

Note: i left the political and personal elements out on the comment about Bristol.

I really don't know what DWTS can do to keep the momentum. One of the reasons this season was 'bright' was because most of the contestants were capable of performing and dancing. Bristol and Pam were the exceptions IMHO. All of the others were always entertaining to watch and enjoyed the challenge and could dance. I don't think that they can ever pick another cast that's as 'even' a playing field, unless they do all-stars again. I wouldn't mind seeing JR Martinez and Donny Osmond compete again.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast