Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Opening ceremonies kind of tame---what think you all...who is watching the opening?

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Ali is one of the most well-known people in the world. Who wouldn't remember a guy who said things like this (in rhyme yet):

I done wrestled with an alligator, I done tussled with a whale; handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalized a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick." - Muhammad Ali, 1974.
    Not to mention his principaled stand against the Vietnam War, which cost him a ton of money, as he lost 4 years of his boxing career and had to appeal to the Supreme Court.

Whoever wrote his wikipedia article says of him:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali

Muhammad Ali (born Cassius Marcellus Clay, Jr.; January 17, 1942) is an American former professional boxer,[1] philanthropist[2] and social activist.[2] Considered a cultural icon, Ali was both idolized and vilified.[3][4]
    and notes:

In 1999, Ali was crowned "Sportsman of the Century" by Sports Illustrated and "Sports Personality of the Century" by the BBC.[11][12]
    Ali would go on to become the first and only three-time lineal World Heavyweight Champion.
    In retirement, among other things:

On November 17, 2002, Muhammad Ali went to Afghanistan as "U.N. Messenger of Peace".[56] He was in Kabul for a three-day goodwill mission as a special guest of the UN.[57]

On January 8, 2005, Muhammad Ali was presented with the Presidential Citizens Medal by President George W. Bush.

He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom at a White House ceremony on November 9, 2005,[58][59] and the "Otto Hahn Peace Medal in Gold" of the UN Association of Germany (DGVN) in Berlin for his work with the US civil rights movement and the United Nations (December 17, 2005).

As Mrs. Lonnie Ali looks on, President George W. Bush embraces Muhammad Ali after presenting him with the Presidential Medal of Freedom on November 9, 2005, during ceremonies at the White House.
    On November 19, 2005 (Ali's 19th wedding anniversary), the $60 million non-profit Muhammad Ali Center opened in downtown Louisville. In addition to displaying his boxing memorabilia, the center focuses on core themes of peace, social responsibility, respect, and personal growth.

According to the Ali Center website, "Since he retired from boxing, Ali has devoted himself to humanitarian endeavors around the globe. He is a devout Muslim, and travels the world over, lending his name and presence to hunger and poverty relief, supporting education efforts of all kinds, promoting adoption and encouraging people to respect and better understand one another. It is estimated that he has helped to provide more than 22 million meals to feed the hungry. Ali travels, on average, more than 200 days per year."
    Considering his physical condition, due to Parkinson's, that is even more amazing.

Custom Title
    Thanks, Doris. I was aware of some of that but not all of it. I knew it had to be something like that, but I haven't kept up with his travels. I'm glad he's so active in such worthy pursuits. This is a man who knows how to live a meaningful life.

I too liked the creation of the torch. It was said that the nations will get the cauldron pieces to bring home. The torch is now in the middle of the track & field area. Another smart solution to come?

The highlight for me as always was the parade though many athletes skip it and focus on the sport. I don't think the late hour played a role. The ceremony is long and tiring, not good if you compete the next days. There was some track & field athletes who start later. Like Usain Bolt as a flag bearer. Not easy to recognize athletes in the crowd.The Czeck team was funny with rubber boots and umbrellas. No need though. Good for London

I think the Opening Ceremonies are always held at night - after all, the lighting of the cauldron and the fireworks would not be spectacular earlier in the day and it doesn't get dark until well after 6pm. I believe many of the athletes who compete on the 1st day of competition would likely forgo the openning ceremonies. If I recall correctly, Meno and Sands skipped their opening ceremony since the pairs SP is typically on the 1st day of competition after the opening of the Olympics.

Even if the ceremony ended at 10pm, it would probably take hours for the athletes to be transported back to the Village and settle down.

It's definitely a bummer.

Custom Title
    Yeah, and in the Winter Games, they might be standing outside in the cold for hours. (I think Canada's was indoors--smart country!) You could really tighten up muscles and ligaments, plus get a chill and get sick.

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    I liked the torch very much, it was a surprise how it was created and the fact it was lit by young athletes, the moto of these games is to inspire the youth to come closer to sports,so they used lots of children in the ceremony. It also looked as a chandelier as it rose to the sky, I m wondering too what they will do since it is in the center of the stadium, is there a possibility that this is not the stadium they will use for these competitions?
    About Nhs, maybe english first created the national care system so that is why it is important to them? Because otherwise most European countries I know have national care system, same if not better than Uk's.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post
    , I m wondering too what they will do since it is in the center of the stadium, is there a possibility that this is not the stadium they will use for these competitions?
    From what I've read, the track and field events are held in the stadium containing the torch. I assume that the athletes are practicing there, which is why no events are held there during week 1.

BTW, I did spot Christopher Dean with the other British Olympic medalists during opening, but didnt' spot Jane.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    From what I've read, the track and field events are held in the stadium containing the torch. I assume that the athletes are practicing there, which is why no events are held there during week 1.
    Athletics competition promises to light up the Olympic Stadium
    Lights out, lights in. How to move the fire? One person can carry the fire and 204 kids can carry the bowls. But when and where to? Any ideas?

The athletics starts on Friday. Heyang, I don't think the athletes are practicing there yet. And it's not possible for the throwers.

Custom Title
    Yeah, in every Olympics the first week is swimming and diving, all done at once, and then the second week is track and field. I can't remember whether gymnastics is spread across the two weeks, but round-robin or elimination sports such as football and boxing take up every available day.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    Athletics competition promises to light up the Olympic Stadium
    Lights out, lights in. How to move the fire? One person can carry the fire and 204 kids can carry the bowls. But when and where to? Any ideas?

The athletics starts on Friday. Heyang, I don't think the athletes are practicing there yet. And it's not possible for the throwers.
    It just seems odd to me to build a venue and then not use it. Only reason i could come up with is to let the athletes use it for practice.... although I guess the 1st few days would involve getting the venue setup - i.e. drawing the lanes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by heyang View Post
    BTW, I did spot Christopher Dean with the other British Olympic medalists during opening, but didnt' spot Jane.
    Jayne was standing next to him, her hairr was longer and blonder

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2