Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Adult Skater: Advice on increasing flexibility?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

0 Not allowed!

New Adult Skater: Advice on increasing flexibility?

I am wondering if anyone has suggestions to help a 45 year old newbie to increase his flexibility. I know the old muscles won't work the way the did a few decades ago but I hope there's some hope for improvement.

Oh... any suggestions on how to do the backward swizzle. I am getting better at going forward but I can hardly get any movement when I attempt to go backwards. It's making the rocking horse seem out of reach at the moment.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Welcome to Golden Skate tietzd83! Post long and often.

I hope someone will advise you as to the best stretching exercises for figure skating.

Here's what Skate Canada advises for skaters in general; you could adapt from this to your level.

http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/sportsci/stretch.htm

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks much!! This is exactly what I was looking for!! (:

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Welcome to Golden Skate tietzd83! Post long and often.

I hope someone will advise you as to the best stretching exercises for figure skating.

Here's what Skate Canada advises for skaters in general; you could adapt from this to your level.

http://www.skating-wos.on.ca/sportsci/stretch.htm
    That link is fantastic.
    Do you mean bwd twizzle?

0 Not allowed!
    I don't think so... isn't the twizzle a fairly advanced maneuver?

I am trying to do a rocking horse but can't go backwards. I can go forwards, get my skates pointed at each other, and then I am stuck???

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Do you mean bwd sculls or bubbles? I've never heard of a rocking horse.

0 Not allowed!
    Swizzle - like your bubbles. Tietzd83 - you probably are breaking at the waist and not bending your knees.

As for flexibility, a good basic yoga class will help (and help strengthen your core and help overall body awareness)

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by tietzd83 View Post
    I can go forwards, get my skates pointed at each other, and then I am stuck???
    Are you bending your knees before trying to push backwards?

0 Not allowed!
    I am, but it sure does feel strange... I was trying again today with the help of some of my former sixth grade students but no luck. I don't know if it is just my age or lack of flexibility at this point, put I have a hard time twisting my ankles so that the skates are pointing towards each other. I can do it without skates on??? Then I just don't understand where you start the momentum (pressure) to get the backwards motion (I hope that makes sense). I have my second lesson tomorrow but was really hoping to have that down before I got there.

Took my first big fall today. ): It was probably stupid to try a left foot glide at my ability level but it seemed like a good idea at the time. Important leson of the day... ice can hurt!

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Also instead of yoga I do Pilates. It's is similar to yoga but is concentrated on muscle work than yoga's philosophy of mind, body, and spirit. Yoga puts me to sleep (literally). I had to be woken up from our 10 minute meditation at the end of class. I could hardly drive home. After Pilates I feel like I had a good workout. A big plus to yoga/Pilates is the core strengthening. That is really needed for balance. Balance happens to be my weakest area. My coach never understands how I can master elements but look like Bambi when I am just doing laps.

0 Not allowed!
    Thank you... I believe our local YMCA offers both. When I go to swim tomorrow morning I will check their fall schedule.
    Last edited by tietzd83; 08-06-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I can totally understand the high expense of skating. Between ice time and coaching fees I spend approx 860 a month. 300 for ice and 560 for 2hrs a week on lessons. Then it goes up if I add adult curry at 20 a week or throw in an extra hour lesson somewhere.

4th Time Around

0 Not allowed!
    If I had to spend that much to skate, I wouldn't be able to do it. I just go and enjoy myself.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    I skate as hard and train as much as our elite teens. Usually 3 hours a day 5 days a week plus my gym hours with Pilates. Skating does not come easy to me and takes me weeks to learn something others master in days. If I want results that is what I need to do. I am driven by the love of the sport and how happy I am on the ice. My husband and I sacrifice a lot for me to skate but he says he can't put a price on my health and happiness.

4th Time Around

0 Not allowed!
    Does he have a brother my age? Just kidding, but really.... you are very lucky.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast