swimming Swimming SWIMMING! | Page 2 | Golden Skate

swimming Swimming SWIMMING!

deedee1

Record Breaker
and I love how the swimming thread on GS is sooooooooooooooooooooo far away from the seriousness than most threads are on herre! It's refreshing!

Oh that's why everyone LOVES this board! :biggrin:
As for Lochte's baby blue eyes, I admit they tickle a kind of 'maternal instinct' of mine. ;)

100yen

You can't explain witchcraft
Medalist
Is it just me or do we seem to be getting spammed with swimming :unsure:?
It's like watching the Swimlympics, haha.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
it was like that in 2008... swimming was always on the main station... it's teh "big ticket" other than gymnastics (probably more so because it's not something judges decide).

100yen

Medalist
it was like that in 2008... swimming was always on the main station... it's teh "big ticket" other than gymnastics (probably more so because it's not something judges decide).

They interrupt. Every. Event. With swimming. :rolleye:

I dunno I guess I just can't get into it!

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know, but it's what we really dominate in (USA) and it's no more or less - that I can tell - than what we got four, or even eight, years ago... kinda like during the height of Kwan, we got a lot more skating lol

100yen

Medalist
I know, but it's what we really dominate in (USA) and it's no more or less - that I can tell - than what we got four, or even eight, years ago... kinda like during the height of Kwan, we got a lot more skating lol

True, true...I guess events with Phelps and Lochte are probably the highest profile events for the US networks right now...and I do find myself getting excited about certain races like the relays (and when they have a really good fluff piece, hehe :biggrin:).

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not a swimming fan, but I am loving a lot of the popular faces of the US Team... not just Lochte, but Missy Franklin should be the new darling of the Summer Games... I LOVE her poise and energy and everything about her! She's a star!

seniorita

Record Breaker
and swimmer bodys are just weirrd... bulky on top and super skinny butts... they're topheavy!

:jaw:I dont like most skaters' butts :laugh:(i know I m alone on this:p), especially the type of body like Shawn Sawyer's for example, kind of short with their round behinds, more slender figures like Lambiel's or Lysacek's in fs is more my cup of tea. What I meant to say is that I disagree with you .:p
I prefer the swimmers. But not for example Phelps, his body looks supernatural. Lochte yes:cool:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I'm not a fan of most skater butts either (especially the ones like Sawyer or Boitano... and why do they all insist on wearing crushed velvet for their pants? all it does is make the awkward shaping more noticable!)

Lochte is more natural, but still too bulky for me lol

Swimmer's necks are also weird because they have to keep them straight so much ( I think that's what causes it ) it looks especially weird on the women.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
I dont like most skaters' butts :laugh:(i know I m alone on this:p), especially the type of body like Shawn Sawyer's for example, kind of short with their round behinds, more slender figures like Lambiel's or Lysacek's in fs is more my cup of tea. What I meant to say is that I disagree with you .:p
I prefer the swimmers. But not for example Phelps, his body looks supernatural. Lochte yes

You are not alone. But skaters have much better looking body shape than gymnasts. Male swimmers are generally in really great shape with tall and bulky built. I agree not Phelps who has too long a torsel. Have you seen Lochte's closet? His collections could compete with Johnny Weir's.:biggrin:

I'm not a swimming fan, but I am loving a lot of the popular faces of the US Team... not just Lochte, but Missy Franklin should be the new darling of the Summer Games... I LOVE her poise and energy and everything about her! She's a star!

Missy certainly is a star. What a delightful, straightforward, glowing presence she is. Like you, I enjoy being introduced to the swimming team. But then, I'm liking all the teams so far, though I imagine my enjoyment won't extend to the boxers.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Great smile, and she is six foot one...Will or did Michael get his 19th medal tonight? It may have been discussed but it seems the more sucess the less people like him. I guess it is imposible to mix testosterone, the best athlete ever in a really hard sport (the plushenko of the pool) and knowing he is really Zeus, and stay humble. It makes me wonder how MK does it-that approachibility-or is that an act. I remember thinking Mark Spitz was stunning but so arrogant. The most successful Olympian, most decorated, best swimmer for all time, over time, he delivered again and again. I wish I could like him. Admire his drive, ethic, focus, yes, but I can imagine what lunch would be like. He was more likeable when young yes? I don't recall.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Whoa, the swim relay-these guys gave Phelps a huge lead. Number 19 and it is another gold. It took three Olympics, and he is Olympic God. Edurance sport and a man with a goal. Tonight was so exciting with the Fab 5. I remember so well Atlanta and the 7 young women. Kerri sticking the vault on one foot, being carried around the arena by Bela. I don't know if that image will be topped but this was wonderful. Gabby and Ally go into the all around having done great. It seems it is one or the other. I put my money on Gabby. It really was great to see how happy and proud. 5 super hardworking but lucky girls to have been chosen. Just Wow, what a night for gym. and swimming. Woohoo!!!!! I lost my feed...I am sure there will be many interviews...anyone still up watching?

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Big congratulations to Michael Phelps!:love: What an amazing athlete! I love the legends. Here comes a 19 time Olympic medalist! And he might be 22 time Olympic medalist. And who knows? He might even want to try to go to the next Olympics. No one can ever pass that!:rock:

What a wonderful night! I'm glad both Phelps and Lochte (as well as their teammates) had a gold-medal performance in this event. As Phelps points out in a later interview, he really didn't train as intensely for this Olympics as he did for Beijing, and that could explain some of his less-than-stellar swims here. But even in lesser shape, he's still pretty formidable. Congrats to him for edging past Latynina. (Though as she points out, she also coached the Soviet team through quite a few gold medals after her own competitive career.) He really is an extraordinary competitor.

Kudos to that French simmer, Yannick Agnel. What a speed demon! If it wasn't our guys he was murdering in the pool, I'm sure the announcers here would have made a lot more fuss over him. How is he being presented on TV in Europe? Kind of lovely to think of France as a swimming power.

And Mexico as a diving power! They must have some training program: both their men's and women's synchronized diving teams have been very good, doing some of the most difficult dives, and the men won a medal.

I'm thrilled with the gymnasts. A decisive victory. You don't have to understand the fine points of judging to see why they won. That vault of McKayla's! And all three floor exercises. Wieber shows why she has been atop the podium; she seems to have springs in her ankles, and she sticks her landings like glue.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Olympia, your whole post sums it up for me. What an amazing day/night! :biggrin:

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
It seems anti climatic, though, that Phelps seems to be breaking the record in spite of himself lol

Buttercup

Record Breaker
Wow congrats, he surpassed Latynina!!!:eek:
She still has more individual medals; Phelps got a lot of his medals in relays. How many events does he have left in London? Can he break this record, too?

Honestly, I'm surprised a gymnast held on to the total medals record for so long, since it seems like it would be easier to rack up medals as a swimmer than in other sports, with so many different events - both team and individual. In addition, Phelps comes from a swimming powerhouse, which means he has a good shot at relay medals. Contrast that with someone like Kirsty Coventry, who swims for Zimbabwe; all her Olympic medals are individual (admittedly, she has fewer of those than Phelps). Anyway, if Plushenko gets a fourth (and fifth?) medal in Sochi, to me that would be more impressive than Phelps's haul, because longevity in skating is much more difficult and medals are few and far between. As for other impressive Olympic records, check out this guy, who is at #5 on the total medals list and whose career as an Olympian started in 1936 and didn't end until 1960! And of course there's Clara Hughes, who has six medals split between the Winter and Summer Olympics - a truly singular achievement.

My favorite swimming win so far has been the Lithuanian girl's, so surprising and she was so shocked and moved by it.

janetfan

Match Penalty
She still has more individual medals; Phelps got a lot of his medals in relays. How many events does he have left in London? Can he break this record, too?

It seems quite fair to say Phelps has competed in an era and sport that was absolutely more competitive internationally than Ladies gymnastics of the 50's and early sixties. Actually, a comparison feels odd if not somewhat uninformed.

Without checking is it safe to assume the Russian Ladies won team medals in that era just as Phelps has team/relay medals?

Last edited: