Czisny determined despite struggles and surgery | Golden Skate

Czisny determined despite struggles and surgery

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
At the beginning of last season it seemed as if reigning U.S. ladies champion Alissa Czisny was building on the momentum from her fitth place finish at the 2011 World Championships in Moscow.

More

Thanks for the article! It seems to me that this could mean that Czisny still has something left in her in terms of skating achievement. I always have hopes for her, because she brings something so unusual to skating. But if she can't continue her competitive career, show skating would benefit from her presence. Either way, good for her for trying to rebuild.

One good thing this says about her character: she may not have the world's best competition nerves, but you can't fault her self-discipline.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Thanks for update. That was nice to complemint her character Olympia, as she has taken so much heat from well, most everyone, me a bit too after her sad performance at Worlds. From her narrative, it does not seem she was skating with great pain at worlds. It seems it could have happened travelling, then maybe skating without proper warm up maybe? Like most skaters, shre too enjoys the daily goal. It is tough to think one is done and one's days of world stage, hopes of big timemedals are done. I wonder what she might do after this season if she makes it through? She has her degree, she can do shows round the world. Somehow I have missed what she majored in?

So we will have all our ladies representing. I am hopeful Alissa has one or two great skates left. I am rooting for others for world team but she has been so lovely to watch when confident and upright. My hopes for world team are Ashley number one, and then after that, whoever blows us away. I can't possibly choose who to root for at Nationals when Caroline has worked so hard and she delivered last year. Then there is Mirai who seems like a real wild card this year. It is hard not to root for her after what she did in Vancouver, I feel hope for her still, even after this last 2 seasons where in all fairness I was not crazy about her programs and she seemed absent-her spirit-will it come back?

And Agnes has those beautiful jumps. She is not ice princess, imho, so I kinda want to see her get the music/total package that makes us go wow, besides the jumps. And then there is Gracie Gold, who is so (to me) juniorish still but has big potential. How I wish we had three spots. Still not enough for these worthy veterans and the amazing newcomer with the best name at least.

Serious Business

Record Breaker
Now Alissa's total meltdown makes more sense. No, she didn't feel the pain of her injury. But it's still a very severe one that can interfere with her hip motion (which is rather vital to jumps). I'm glad she found out what the problem might be and is on her way to fixing it.

MarkusNJ

Rinkside
I have said this for a while.....I really hope Alissa can make it onto the Olympic team in 2014 and skate really well for herself. She deserves it. That being said, I pray she does not make the world team next year because we need 3 spots for 2014 and she just can't handle the nerves. Let her have a slow year, no higher than bronze at Nationals, and then come back in 2014.
I want Ashley and Caroline or Gracie on the team this year.
I pray for Alissa's quick and full recovery :)

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Czisny is back on the ice

Jeremy Abbott ‏@jeremyabbottpcf
I've never seen someone so happy to be on the ice!!!!!!! #AlissaCzisny pic.twitter.com/Pqk0aMFR
10:05 AM - 28 Aug 12​

(Abbott's photo shows Czisny at the rink wearing her skates -- although not actually on the ice.)

ETA:

And Czisny now has added this message to her Facebook page:
" First day back on the ice: new skates, new blades, and a new start...and I couldn't be happier!!!! So thankful to be back on the ice :) "

ETA:

Zachary Donohue ‏@ZacKamikaz
Congrats to @alissaczisny for making it back to the ice today! So happy for her. And good luck to everyone in Lake Placid. Go #TeamUSA!!!!!!
2:00 PM - 28 Aug 12​

Last edited:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Last edited:
So glad to see her keeping her motivation and energy despite disappointing circumstances. I hope she has a wonderful career after this:D

janetfan

Match Penalty
Thanks for the great article.

Nice to hear these words from Alissa:

“Skating had become one of my passions in life, and I still enjoy competing, even though I had some difficult experiences this past season,” she explained. “There are goals I still want to accomplish in skating, and I believe that I have not yet accomplished everything that I am capable of in my skating career."

So happy to hear Alissa is back on the ice and hope her best skating is still to come.

I am not ready to say goodbye to one of my favorite skaters and would like to see her skate in Sochi.

Go Alissa! :yay:

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
Yeahh ~~ ♪

Welcome back Alissa, one of the special beautiful skaters inside and out :)
Go and get them this year, best of luck and I will be cheering for you!!

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Binthere

On the Ice
She did take out the "jumps" which was probably sensible. Her smile is always welcoming and lovely.