Thread: Advice on Axel jumps

Hybrid View

On the Ice

Advice on Axel jumps

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice on jumping Axels. For some reason I have always had serious trouble with the Axel. All other single jumps- no problem. Double jumps, still not perfect, but I feel comfortable trying them. But the Axel jump always feels so uncomfortable, I'm not sure if for technical reasons or if there's just some kind of psychological blockage. I know this is a pretty common problem, so do any of you have tips for me?
    Thank you.

Need more information. What specifically feels uncomfortable about it? The information you provide as to what your issues is so vague that no tips can be provided. Where and with what specifically are you struggling?

Sitting Here on Blue Jay Way silver.blades's Avatar
    In terms of being afraid to try the axel, due lots of waltz jumps to get used to the forward takeoff as that is usually what makes people uncomfortable about this jump. Otherwise I need more information about the jump.

On the Ice
    The forward take off doesn't feel uncomfortable when I do the Waltz jump. I believe it is mostly fear of under rotating and therefor lose control in landing. I can land them off ice, but also, only if I have enough space and there's nothing around for me to slip on (I have to be sure of that in my mind in order to feel confidant enough). I always feel like I might not complete the rotation and land funny or fall. That makes me not give it all I've got on take-off (because I'm too scared), which clearly and ironically results in exactly what I fear of!
    I guess what I really need is advice on how to improve my rotation ability in the air - if I could complete 2-2.5 revolutions in the air easily (by practicing off ice) then one and a half would probably not be so scary (on ice)...
    Thanks again.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Noga L., welcome to Golden Skate! Post long & often!

Custom Title
    Is there any possibility you could try them in a harness?