Advice for an older adult beginning skater... | Golden Skate

Advice for an older adult beginning skater...

tietzd83

Rinkside
Okay, I am only one, soon to be two lessons into this skating thing. I became interested because of the need to lose some weight and wanted to find a couple of exercise related things I would enjoy doing. I have decided to go with swimming and begin skating. I am even more excited to skate after learning the possibilities of competing as an adult and how that will continue to motivate me to learn- a measurable goal.
I had my first lesson last Tuesday and was introduced to the basics. I had no problem staying vertical and gliding but need to work on Swizzles and snow plowing (the left foot works great but the right doesn’t want to work at all). Anyway, I am taking private lessons about 40 minutes away from my house because the local club doesn’t appear to have adult training opportunities-although I heard a rumor they may run an adult class this fall. On a side note, I have left numerous emails with the local club for information but haven’t heard a peep!!??
I decided to go to the local rink for a little practice time and felt like a complete idiot. This 45 year old guy with his hands out, attempting to get the feel for bending at the knees while trying to do swizzles and rocking horse surrounded by a half dozen elementary aged girls. I noticed a pair of girls watching me very intently, making me very self-conscious. This got me wondering if perhaps this skating thing is not the best idea at this point in my life.

Update: I just had a conversation another local club and it sounds like i just may have a home with adult coaching and access to practice ice. Hopefully this will help curb my hesitation to continue learning to skate!!

Dave

Last edited:

blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Okay, I am only one, soon to be two lessons into this skating thing. I became interested because of the need to lose some weight and wanted to find a couple of exercise related things I would enjoy doing. I have decided to go with swimming and begin skating. I am even more excited to skate after learning the possibilities of competing as an adult and how that will continue to motivate me to learn- a measurable goal.
I had my first lesson last Tuesday and was introduced to the basics. I had no problem staying vertical and gliding but need to work on Swizzles and snow plowing (the left foot works great but the right doesn’t want to work at all). Anyway, I am taking private lessons about 40 minutes away from my house because the local club doesn’t appear to have adult training opportunities-although I heard a rumor they may run an adult class this fall. On a side note, I have left numerous emails with the local club for information but haven’t heard a peep!!??
I decided to go to the local rink for a little practice time and felt like a complete idiot. This 45 year old guy with his hands out, attempting to get the feel for bending at the knees while trying to do swizzles and rocking horse surrounded by a half dozen elementary aged girls. I noticed a pair of girls watching me very intently, making me very self-conscious. This got me wondering if perhaps this skating thing is not the best idea at this point in my life.

Update: I just had a conversation another local club and it sounds like i just may have a home with adult coaching and access to practice ice. Hopefully this will help curb my hesitation to continue learning to skate!!

Dave

Best of luck, Dave!!! I'm an adult skater, as well.

backspin

On the Ice
Hi Dave,

I'm in Wisconsin too. I'm both an adult skater & a coach. If you have any questions feel free to pm me & I'll see if I can help. Depending on where in the state you are, there are lots of opportunities for adults.

sarahspins

Rinkside
This 45 year old guy with his hands out, attempting to get the feel for bending at the knees while trying to do swizzles and rocking horse surrounded by a half dozen elementary aged girls. I noticed a pair of girls watching me very intently, making me very self-conscious.

I have to say that this is one of the things you simply get used to.. it doesn't ever really STOP happening, but over time it will bother you less.

Dreaswi

Rinkside
I don't get that feeling from the girls. They actually enjoy having me around. The ones I have problems with are the "elite" teenagers. They are the worst to deal with.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Yeah, things have improved greatly now that I've become a regular at the rink. Now the problem is the two girls that always want to talk to me when I'm trying to work!! (;

Thanks Backspin... I live in Beaver Dam, but am driving to the Oshkosh YMCA for lesssons

Last edited:

treesprite

Final Flight
Welcome to the world of skating!

Regarding the feeling of self consciousness, it may be bad being an adult beginner, but what may be worse is being an adult who has not skated in years and so skates like a frightened beginner, after having been an instructor in the past. It makes me feel embarrassed and frustrated not being able to just poof, be up in axels and flying sitspins instead of struggling with forward crossovers.

Are you thinking of doing ISI competitions or USFS competitions? IMO the ISI program is much more laid back and adult friendly than USFS.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Are you thinking of doing ISI competitions or USFS competitions? IMO the ISI program is much more laid back and adult friendly than USFS.

I can somewhat relate when it comes to running... I used to run cross country years ago and remember running 8 to 10 miles without much of a thought. Now, going more than a block or two is pure torture!!

Yes, I would like to... I think having these as goals helps keep motivation. I had not heard of the ISI so I am off to Google it now... Thanks!

mskater93

Record Breaker

I kind of agree that ISI is more laid back but I don't agree with your comment that USFS is not adult friendly. The community is very tightly knit, and USFS LOVES their adults because they provide a lot of volunteer hours and do the "heavy lifting"

sarahspins

Rinkside
I don't agree with your comment that USFS is not adult friendly. The community is very tightly knit, and USFS LOVES their adults because they provide a lot of volunteer hours and do the "heavy lifting"

What about for skaters that are not yet at the level of testing MITF and FS? There's little point to joining a club until you are at the level where you'll be testing, and depending on the club, they may or may not welcome non-members into volunteer roles for those skaters who aren't quite "there" yet.

gkelly

Record Breaker
I think it depends on the club.

Some small clubs have only young girls as skating members and parents as organizers. They might not know how to relate to an adult either as a skating member or a volunteer.

Other clubs already have many adult skaters at various levels, some of whom started skating as adults and may still be untested or remember when they were, and some of whom are already active volunteers and part of club governance. So there will already be models for how to incorporate adults into their activities. The more advanced adult skaters might be busy practicing when they're on the ice and not interested in socializing, but you can probably strike up a conversation before or after while changing skates.

I think most clubs would welcome anyone to volunteer at club functions and pay membership dues. If you join the club and get to know the members who are most active in running club activities, chances are you'd be welcome -- depending on the personalities in that particular club.

Does your local club hold a competition or have a test session coming up any time soon? If you volunteered to monitor, play music, provide hospitality for the officials, etc., you would probably be more than welcome. It would also give you a sense of what to expect when you're ready to test or compete yourself.

If you don't feel ready to commit to paying dues and putting in volunteer hours, and there isn't club ice time at all or that's appropriate for you to skate on, then you wouldn't choose to join and you wouldn't have the interactions to get to know the members.

But if they don't already have adult skaters in the club, they might not anticipate or care about issues that affect adult skaters and not kids. And it might be lonely for an adult skater with no peers to commiserate with.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Agreed with much of what you wrote about joining a club, gkelly. In addition, if the OP is in the Fox Valley (which is what it sounds like if they are skating in Osh Kosh) there are several adults in clubs in that area including Valley FSC, Green Bay FSC, and Madison FSC (which is about an hour drive) who are definitely competitive. Green Bay FSC is hosting Upper Great Lakes Regionals (standard track...) this year, it would be a good opportunity to see what it's like and how much work and effort go into competition.

backspin

On the Ice
There's also a test session in Beaver Dam in Oct, which you might enjoy watching to get an idea of how testing is done.

Dreaswi

Rinkside
USFSA I find is adult friendly. Before you get to the MIF you have adult basic 1-4. I worked my way from basic 2 to pre-bronze. I was 2 weeks away from testing and then my "accident" happened. Accident = broken ankle while starting my competition program for the season. I got 8 counts into the program and down I went. I'm now 6 weeks post accident. I won't be standing on the ice for at least another 6 months.
Sorry didn't mean to go off track and hijack your thread.

treesprite

Final Flight
I was referring to opportunities, not to how people are treated based on age. In ISI there are competition opportunities for adults who are not yet at freestyle levels, but I have not heard of USFS having such opportunities... correct me if I am wrong.

Dreaswi

Rinkside
Honestly when it comes to competitions I have really never paid attention. My coach and I look at what adult levels are available and if there is not one I fit into then usually we call the club hosting and see if we can add the level that I would skate at. Most competition organizers are happy to add in the extra level spot.

mskater93

Record Breaker
I was referring to opportunities, not to how people are treated based on age. In ISI there are competition opportunities for adults who are not yet at freestyle levels, but I have not heard of USFS having such opportunities... correct me if I am wrong.

Typically, the basic skills comps have an option for adult levels, just not that many that take advantage of it.

treesprite

Final Flight
Would you mind explaining what Off-Ice Skates is like for those of us who have no clue? Is it skating in those inlines that are like ice figure skates (for ex Pic Skates or Snow Whites)?

Here's a link to and adult figure skating website where you can http://internationaladulticeskaters.com/find useful information.

From my expereince I find the elite teens are the most supportive of my skating (speaking as a 51 year-old adult skater). They know it takes hard work and discipline to improve and they love it when I take tiny step forward, they are my inspiration. (I'm also a shoulder to cry on when they have boy/girlfriend troubles :)) The "problem children" are generally the one who are "big fish in small ponds" ie the may be the most advanced skater in their club and are mini divas in the sense they expect everyone to move out of their way.