Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice for an older adult beginning skater...

4th Time Around
    I was referring to opportunities, not to how people are treated based on age. In ISI there are competition opportunities for adults who are not yet at freestyle levels, but I have not heard of USFS having such opportunities... correct me if I am wrong.

On the Ice
    Honestly when it comes to competitions I have really never paid attention. My coach and I look at what adult levels are available and if there is not one I fit into then usually we call the club hosting and see if we can add the level that I would skate at. Most competition organizers are happy to add in the extra level spot.

Quote Originally Posted by treesprite View Post
    I was referring to opportunities, not to how people are treated based on age. In ISI there are competition opportunities for adults who are not yet at freestyle levels, but I have not heard of USFS having such opportunities... correct me if I am wrong.
    Typically, the basic skills comps have an option for adult levels, just not that many that take advantage of it.

4th Time Around
    Would you mind explaining what Off-Ice Skates is like for those of us who have no clue? Is it skating in those inlines that are like ice figure skates (for ex Pic Skates or Snow Whites)?

Tripping on the Podium
    Here's a link to and adult figure skating website where you can http://internationaladulticeskaters.com/find useful information.

From my expereince I find the elite teens are the most supportive of my skating (speaking as a 51 year-old adult skater). They know it takes hard work and discipline to improve and they love it when I take tiny step forward, they are my inspiration. (I'm also a shoulder to cry on when they have boy/girlfriend troubles ) The "problem children" are generally the one who are "big fish in small ponds" ie the may be the most advanced skater in their club and are mini divas in the sense they expect everyone to move out of their way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2