Skate suggestions for a beginner | Golden Skate

Skate suggestions for a beginner

tietzd83

Rinkside
Are there any suggestions for the purchase of new skates for an adult male beginner? Should I look into beginner skate or go right for a top line boot?

sarahspins

Rinkside
This depends on a lot of things, but you probably shouldn't go for a top of the line boot, you will be buying much more boot than you need which can cause more problems than it solves as you are learning to skate - a good boot should be supportive but not restrictive, and until you know you have the strength for very stiff boots they aren't recommended. A good mid-level boot is really where you should probably start looking, and as an adult skater you can definitely look beyond "beginning" boot models (which are typically aimed at much smaller and lighter children), but don't look much beyond low to mid level freestyle level boots.

Fit is just as important as buying a boot appropriate for your level... a boot that is too wide or too narrow or too long will cause a number of problems as well.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Thank you Sarah.

I've been looking at either the Riedell 121 RS or the 133 TS sets... ???

I am planning on going to Rainbo sports at the Petitt National Ice Center to be fitted. I just want to make sure that I won't be talked into spending more money than I really need to...

silver.blades

Medalist
Country
Canada
Defiantly don't get a top end boot if you're a beginner. Jackson has some solid mid range boots, but they tend to be a tad stiff and take awhile to break in. Riedell's are more comfortable and much easier to break in, but there seems to be a weird pressure point on the heel that can be a huge problem for some people. If you're just starting out don't get a separate boot and blade. They're expensive and the standard blade will be more than adequate to start with. My experience with skate fitters is they tend to be pretty good, so defiantly take their advice, but you probably don't need to spend more that a few hundred dollars to start out with. Try on different styles and brands when you're there, everyone's foot is different so it's dependent on you. There are skates that some people swear by that others wouldn't wear if they were the last skates on earth.

sarahspins

Rinkside
If you are looking at Riedell I would opt for the 133 over the 121.. it's a little stiffer but still a suitable boot to start with.

I agree with silver.blades, try as many as you can, some people just don't fit Riedell well, and others don't fit some of the other brands well... you won't know until you try, and hopefully you'll work with a good fitter at Rainbo who will know what might work for your feet.

At your level buying a boot/blade set is fine - however there ARE some boot/blade combos that are sold separately that aren't necessarily "too much" boot or blade, however they will all cost quite a bit a bit more than buying a set (typically about twice as much). The only reason I could see to go that route is if you have hard to fit feet and require a modification to the boots (for size) that can't be accommodated in a lower model.

tietzd83

Rinkside
Thanks... it sounds like I need to trust and follow the advice of the folks at Rainbo. Many people I have spoken to highly recommend them so I'll grab my credit card and head down there tomorrow... Thanks everyone!

sarahspins

Rinkside
Whatever they fit in... a backpack or small duffel bag is fine... lots of skaters use Zuca bags but they're not essential, just handy.

mskater93

Record Breaker
Zucas are also $$$. A good rolling suitcase works too. I got mine at Target for $25 and it's hard sided.