blue dog

Trixie Schuba's biggest fan!
Record Breaker
Last edited:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Crone last competed in singles at 2008 Canadians as a junior, placing 13th overall.

SP 13th
37.06 20.39 16.67 4.38 4.18 4.08 4.18 4.04 0.00
2A, 2Z+2T, 2L

FS 16th
61.20 27.45 34.75 4.63 4.25 4.29 4.38 4.17 1.00
2A+2T, 2A(f), 2S, 1A, 2Z<, 2L,2F+1T

It will be hard for her to compete as a Senior unless she is able to do triple jumps.

I hope she fully enjoys her career! Moving from ice dance to singles is quite a transition.

blue dog

Record Breaker
I think that's inspiring. Also, with what we're seeing, at least, in the summer Olympics, people are having longer careers. Maybe Vanessa will have a long career.

Or, maybe this is just a transition point for her...get at least the triple toe and sal, and move to pairs.

slipslidin

On the Ice
I think you may be right, Vanessa is small enough for pairs and has beautiful, neat positions in the air.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
Golly, blue dog , that's a thought.

I wish Vanessa a good experience this year and will be watching for her..But Gr-r-r-r..I knew she was blindsided :scowl:..makes me want to cuss..

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Vanessa is 5'3" - 5'4" tall. That's average for a singles skater, but a bit on the tall side for pairs.

She would need at least 2A and 3S to compete in Senior Pairs. When she was skating singles, she had no triples and her 2A was only about 50% reliable. If she hasn't been practicing jumps for the last 4 years, her chances of getting the triples now aren't great.

It's hard enough for experienced pairs skater ladies to find pairs partners. I have my doubts that Vanessa would be able to get a partner for pairs when she hasn't been able to get one for dance.

The best chance for Vanessa would be for Skate Canada to release her so that she can skate as an ice dancer for another country. That seems to be a vain hope.

Dragonlady

Final Flight
I don't know if anyone was blindsided and I haven't asked what happened. I refuse to play the blame game in regards to breakups. It's really none of my business, unless my kid is involved.

I'm more upset that her pairing with Keifer Hubbell fell through because neither could get clearance from their federation. I thought that was a match made in heaven.

slipslidin

On the Ice
Dang! I thought she was 5'2", it was a forlorn hope anyway, at her age. I agree with Dragonlady about the Skating federations. It's a disgraceful situation, but I wonder about Skate Canada's reputation. Would a skater from another country want to risk everything to skate for them?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Dang! I thought she was 5'2", it was a forlorn hope anyway, at her age. I agree with Dragonlady about the Skating federations. It's a disgraceful situation, but I wonder about Skate Canada's reputation. Would a skater from another country want to risk everything to skate for them?

What reputation?

Kaitlyn Weaver has had great success skating for Canada with her Canadian partner Andrew Poje.

blue dog

Record Breaker
What reputation?

Kaitlyn Weaver has had great success skating for Canada with her Canadian partner Andrew Poje.

Don't tell Kaitlyn she's not Canadian hahaha. She's a very proud Canadian.

Also, if I wasn't a USFSA skater (not that I'm a senior or anything), I'd hope to G-d that I skated for Skate Canada. They DO take care of their skaters.

With regards to her split with Kieffer, it is a shame--they are both so good! Both federations gave them a two-year wait. It is, unfortunately, the price of having competed recently, and competed well for your country. Neither wanted to wait that long. They made the choice, and I hope neither one regrets it.

I'm just glad we get to see more of her, even if she's only doing doubles, or if she's skating at adult worlds (I don't think that's her plan, however). She's a tremendous skater.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm more upset that her pairing with Keifer Hubbell fell through because neither could get clearance from their federation. I thought that was a match made in heaven.

Keiffer didn't want to wait two years because he was able to find a partner in the US (he is skating with Anastasia Olsen). Unfortunately, there apparently IS no available partner for Vanessa in Canada.

blue dog

Record Breaker
Keiffer didn't want to wait two years because he was able to find a partner in the US (he is skating with Anastasia Olsen). Unfortunately, there apparently IS no available partner for Vanessa in Canada.

Hence why I'm all for adding solo dance, at least at the world level.

13KJC13

Rinkside
But Gr-r-r-r..I knew she was blindsided :scowl:..makes me want to cuss..

Colleen - Have you ever heard the saying "There's 3 sides to every story: yours, mine and the truth"? The "blindsided" comments should probably be taken with a grain or two of salt. ;)

colleen o'neill

Medalist
13KJC13..yes,indeed ! I have heard it.. :laugh: And after decades and decades of following the sport , I've seen all the PR spins put on splits..splits that were acrimonious..those that were due to health reasons ..etc.,etc.
I've witnessed all the..:popcorn:..:eek:.. and ;)

At the time ,Vanessa was clearly taken aback. One week we have a fan coming on the boards saying they ran into Vanessa at what turned out to be the final performance she gave with Paul , and how happy and excited Vanessa was, talking about how their new programs would be done by Dean again... Within a week or so , the split was announced.

Vanessa, unlike Paul, didn't have a PR friendly quote ready..she didn't have any plan worked out ...SC put out an announcement that she had retired , then she un-retired herself .. last winter ( I guess when the Hubbel thing didn't work out ) CBC retired her again on their website... At the time, no one interviewed her for weeks ( another sign that she didn't know what to do , or say ). When an interview came , it was by PJ, whose interview consisted of some very leading questions , like .. what do you think you owe to Paul ,or what do you think you gained from the partnership ..hardly Vanessa centred . As far as I know, no-one has interviewed her since.

I'm not hauling out the pitchforks or tar and feathers..like I said , these things happen , and we've seen it all over the years.

That doesn't mean I can't be disgruntled on Vanessa's behalf..a large part of which is directed at federations not issuing releases , when they have a very deep fields in ice dance ,anyway.

13KJC13

Rinkside
At the time ,Vanessa was clearly taken aback. One week we have a fan coming on the boards saying they ran into Vanessa at what turned out to be the final performance she gave with Paul , and how happy and excited Vanessa was, talking about how their new programs would be done by Dean again... Within a week or so , the split was announced.

I don't think Vanessa would have had much choice but to let that fan believe all was well. The COS show was May 14th, while the Skate Canada AGM was May 25-28th. As reigning national champions, C&P would have had "official" duties to perform at the AGM. It is my understanding that the press release was written at the AGM with input from both Paul and Vanessa. The split was announced about four days later.

FWIW, I heard rumours about the split several weeks before the COS show. I remember sitting in the audience with friends and commenting that we had just seen the team's final performance. If we were hearing rumours, surely Vanessa had some inkling that all was not well in the partnership and the split was coming.

Interestingly, Vanessa's news release was removed from her FB page several hours ago.

colleen o'neill

Medalist
13KJC13..Yes, it's interesting , even as outsiders , seeing the photos from the finale of the COS show , my sister and I commented that Paul and Vanessa's body language looked as if they were completely separate from each other. We put it down to residual shock from Worlds but speculated that all was not well in paradise.

Yet the conversation reported by the person who spoke with Vanessa seemed too upbeat and detailed for someone who was just putting a good face on things.

Frankly , we expected a coaching change might be in the works, and that ( I suspect ) can throw everyone's emotions into turmoil. We didn't think they'd toss a partnership of that duration , before trying to make some other changes , first.

Honestly, after worlds , I saw many people posting that C/P were dumped by the judges. I thought that was a wrong assessment . They were 7th at the previous world's, but there were at least 3 teams present in 2011 who were not there in 2010...teams that they ought to have known ( from GP results ) would be seriously competitive. It wasn't so much that they were dumped , but that they stayed about the same in the opinion of the international judges, while others , eg W/P and S/S were a bit of a revelation.

But , whatever, to that ..it's history. It's obvious, though , that even if she had some inkling..Vanessa had no plan , probably couldn't think how to proceed, at first.. Paul and their coaches did have a plan and got on it immediately , if not before .

I thought her press release sounded a bit too open and emotional . Still a rough time for her.