Thread: Canoe/Kayak

Hybrid View

Canoe/Kayak

That manmade river is AWESOME. I think this might be - for me - the coolest thing to watch. Grranted if I were in that situation in a canoe/kayak I'd be freaking, but it's so much fun to watch them do it!

Custom Title
    It really is a knockout. I saw it briefly earlier today. I'm glad the technology can support having such sports in the Olympics these days. Unlike some sports, one can really see that this one is incredibly demanding, both in terms of strength and in terms of strategy and finesse with the--what is it, a paddle? I was tempted to stay home and watch this one!

This is the thing about the Olympics. It spotlights all sorts of unfamiliar sports for audiences that otherwise would not have any clue or any interest. And they are often interesting. To me watching the Olympics is like traveling to a new destination or trying a new kind of food. It's an adventure, but unlike traveling it's cheap, and it's not nearly as risky for us as it is for the intrepid athletes.

I love canoeing... kayaking scares me (while I get that in some ways it's safer, I feel trapped)... I'd never white water it like they do in these races though... but it's fun to watch

Custom Title
    Yeah, those rollovers or whatever they call them, where the kayaker just rolls upside-down into the water and then circles right up again, scare me silly. A quiet canoe on a serene lake, that I could go for.

Custom Title
    I was lucky enough to have a ticket for whitewater finals in Beijing 2008 and it was one of my favorite events. A real hoot to watch, so if you ever have an opportunity to see a world-class live competition in this sport, go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by bigsisjiejie View Post
    I was lucky enough to have a ticket for whitewater finals in Beijing 2008 and it was one of my favorite events. A real hoot to watch, so if you ever have an opportunity to see a world-class live competition in this sport, go for it!
    I'd love to shoot something like that (shoot with a camera, of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Yeah, those rollovers or whatever they call them, where the kayaker just rolls upside-down into the water and then circles right up again, scare me silly. A quiet canoe on a serene lake, that I could go for.
    Kayaking is WAY easier than canoeing! I've done both and tipped my canoe 5 times in the first hour but in a 2 hour kayaking trip, never tipped at all and had only a few moments of "uhoh". Rolling a kayak is a learned skill - I watched the instructor do it repeatedly.

I think it depends on the person, the only time I've been in an overturned canoe it was because one of my best friends thought tying our canoe to another canoe as we went through rocky rapids (not white water, but still dangerous enough) was a great idea... we swamped two canoes and I was the only one to go out of the canoe/under water. Needless to say she is no longer my canoe partner lol