Lesser known skaters of bygone era? | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Lesser known skaters of bygone era?

Krieg is impressive, but nobody beats Ruh in my mind. Her spins are so inventive, and her graceful arms and carriage, plus the beauty of moves such as her spreadeagle, are really unparalleled. That Gliere harp concerto program is just gorgeous. (It helps that I love-love-love the Gliere harp concerto.) I'm sorry Ruh didn't have the jumps to propel her into the top level of skaters, but thank goodness she turned pro during the golden age of TV competitions so we could all see her at her best.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Yes, Josee was a real Canadian sweetheart. You are right about her nerves getting the best of her during her competitive years. However, she really blossomed as a performer and pro competitor. I remember her "Moon River" program and thinking why did she not skate like that as an amateur competitor? Still she became one of my favorites. My husband really likes to watch Josee skate. Someone mentioned Kay Thompson - she had a lot of promise and was one of the best female spinners to ever grace the ice. I think she was one of the skaters that was under appreciated as well. So many skaters come and go over the years, some go on to great things, others leave us wanting more. It's nice to reflect on all these wonderful talented skaters and say "thank you" for leaving the sport a little more enriched.

Great thread.

:agree: