Thread: Sochi 2014 media rights

Hybrid View

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

Sochi 2014 media rights

"CBC/Radio-Canada has won the Canadian media rights for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro."
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2012/...cs-rights.html
    Posted: Aug 1, 2012 12:00 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 1, 2012 3:28 PM ET

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Any word about US media rights?

Over a year ago, NBCUniversal won US media rights for the next four Olympics: 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020.
    "NBCU has acquired the broadcast rights across all media platforms, including free-to-air television, subscription television, internet and mobile. The total agreement is valued at USD 4.38 billion."
    http://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-awar...iversal/130827

BTW, the head of the Sochi Organizing Committee, Dmitry Chernyshenko @DChernyshenko, sent a series of tweets and photos on July 29 documenting his visit to the London Olympics International Broadcasting Center. He observed firsthand the magnitude of Olympic broadcast operations.

ETA:
    He also visited the daily broadcasters' briefing.
    All the homework that he is doing in London should help the Sochi Games succeed.
    Last edited by golden411; 08-01-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I thought I had heard it was NBC for 2016 summer and 2018 winter, but I'm sorry to hear that I was right.

Regarding US rights for Sochi and beyond:
    NBC won the bidding against ESPN and against Fox Sports.
    Because I am not a cable subscriber, my preference was for NBC.
    BTW: "IOC TV rights negotiator Richard Carrion said NBC would pay $775 million for Sochi, $1.226 billion for Rio, $963 million for the 2018 Winter Games and $1.418 billion for the 2020 Summer Olympics." http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...72975086_x.htm

Custom Title

Sochi 2014 media rights

I'm not entirely sure about this, but I don't think Eurosport have the rights to air the Olympics...

edit: oh, I guess they do, after all. I stand corrected. Very interesting. Guess I will stick with them for the figure skating, too. I could have sworn the Dutch commentators said they weren't gonna show the Olympics...

Custom Title
    Ah, so I had heard right after all last month when the Dutch commentators said Eurosport wasn't gonna air Sochi, only 'the road to Sochi'. It was confusing, but now it says so on the website, as well.

Well, I fully expect simultaneous livestreams of all the figure skating via the NOS (the Dutch version of the BBC), but sadly those are usually geoblocked outside Holland.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    One of my motorbike racing friends posted this link to their Facebook profile.

http://sahafe.com/kis-olimpiyatlarin...damga-vuracak/

Could somebody who speaks better Turkish than Google please tell me what it is about?

From the Google translation, I am not sure whether TRT will be showing any figure skating, or if it is just the Ladies they are not showing, or what.

So, could somebody clear up the confusion?

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaroLiza_fan View Post
    One of my motorbike racing friends posted this link to their Facebook profile.

http://sahafe.com/kis-olimpiyatlarin...damga-vuracak/

Could somebody who speaks better Turkish than Google please tell me what it is about?

From the Google translation, I am not sure whether TRT will be showing any figure skating, or if it is just the Ladies they are not showing, or what.

So, could somebody clear up the confusion?

Thank you

CaroLiza_fan
    Just wanted to let you know that I asked my friend what the story was about, and when she got back to me tonight, it confirmed what I suspected.

TRT are not showing the Ladies category, and the reason given was because of "clothes sensitivity".

In other words, they are not showing the Ladies the costumes are too skimpy!

Suffice to say, it has not gone down very well with the public.

Turkey never had any problem with showing the Ladies category when Tuğba Karademir was competing. But, there again, Turkey did not have an ultra-conservative government then.

It makes you wonder what they think about all these tourists that visit Turkey every year and wear hardly anything...

CaroLiza_fan