Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sochi 2014 media rights

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar

Sochi 2014 media rights

"CBC/Radio-Canada has won the Canadian media rights for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro."
    http://www.cbc.ca/sports/story/2012/...cs-rights.html
    Posted: Aug 1, 2012 12:00 PM ET Last Updated: Aug 1, 2012 3:28 PM ET

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Any word about US media rights?

Over a year ago, NBCUniversal won US media rights for the next four Olympics: 2014, 2016, 2018, and 2020.
    "NBCU has acquired the broadcast rights across all media platforms, including free-to-air television, subscription television, internet and mobile. The total agreement is valued at USD 4.38 billion."
    http://www.olympic.org/news/ioc-awar...iversal/130827

BTW, the head of the Sochi Organizing Committee, Dmitry Chernyshenko @DChernyshenko, sent a series of tweets and photos on July 29 documenting his visit to the London Olympics International Broadcasting Center. He observed firsthand the magnitude of Olympic broadcast operations.

ETA:
    He also visited the daily broadcasters' briefing.
    All the homework that he is doing in London should help the Sochi Games succeed.
    Last edited by golden411; 08-01-2012 at 11:43 PM.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I thought I had heard it was NBC for 2016 summer and 2018 winter, but I'm sorry to hear that I was right.

Regarding US rights for Sochi and beyond:
    NBC won the bidding against ESPN and against Fox Sports.
    Because I am not a cable subscriber, my preference was for NBC.
    BTW: "IOC TV rights negotiator Richard Carrion said NBC would pay $775 million for Sochi, $1.226 billion for Rio, $963 million for the 2018 Winter Games and $1.418 billion for the 2020 Summer Olympics." http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...72975086_x.htm

NBC: 1/Livestream 2/Primetime team event

NBC TO BEGIN PRIMETIME COVERAGE OF 2014 WINTER OLYMPICS ONE DAY PRIOR TO OPENING CEREMONY
    Competition from Sochi, Russia Begins on Thursday, February 6; Opening Ceremony Takes Place on Friday, February 7

Team figure skating and men’s and women’s slopestyle snowboarding, which are new Olympic events, along with women’s freestyle moguls, begin the day before the Opening Ceremony, and will be featured during NBC’s primetime coverage on Thursday, February 6, 2014.

Full press release (from Tuesday, February 5, 2013) at:

ETA:
    Lindsay Hogan ‏@lindsayhogan12
    .@NBCOlympics will stream all #Sochi2014 #Olympic events LIVE - first time for winter Olympics after successful run in London
    9:48 AM - 5 Feb 13
    Last edited by golden411; 02-06-2013 at 01:59 AM.

#TeamAUS
    I liked what they did in for the 2010 games and posted the entire footge for most of the events. I doubt it will happen this time for the Sochi Games though and it's a real shame.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    "IOC TV rights negotiator Richard Carrion said NBC would pay $775 million for Sochi ..." http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olymp...72975086_x.htm
    NBCU Says It's Sold a Record $800M in Winter Olympics Ads
    Milestone Amount Comes With Fewer Advertisers

By: Michael McCarthy
    Published: September 30, 2013
    http://adage.com/article/media/nbcu-...cs-ads/244454/

$800 million and counting ...

Hat tip to @KellyWhiteside of USA Today.

Columnist
    Do many of you watch the local TV broadcast´s?

I don't know, besides the BBC that did a wonderful job at London 2012 (about 24 live channels for every type of competition) - I usually end up at the internet and the official streaming without commentary as I can choose what to watch there, like at the BBC during London 2012.

If I would watch our local TV stations then I have tons of interviews and replays, but almost no live action besides Biathlon or Skiing. Stuff like the female hockey tournament would never appear in our local TV Channels, just like Figure Skating (yes! Can you believe that?)

So I really hope that they still offer the Streams in the internet at Sochi, else I will be pretty much lost and need to join you at the CBC broadcast, if they offer streaming again like at worlds this year.

Custom Title
    Channel Ten is broadcasting the Games in Australia. I haven't heard any definite plans yet but they surely can't do a worse job than Channel Nine made of the Summer Games last year.

Not about media rights ... but about Sochi media:

Has Tara Lipinski been officially announced as part of NBC's on-air team??

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    Has Tara Lipinski been officially announced as part of NBC's on-air team??
    In answer to my own question re Lipinski from earlier this month, cross-posting today's press release from The Edge thread re Johnny Weir.

Johnny Weir, Tara Lipinski & Tanith Belbin to join NBC Olympics in Sochi

Subtitles:
    - Weir & Lipinski to Serve as Analysts for NBC Olympics’ Multi-Platform Figure Skating Coverage
    - Belbin to Report for NBC Olympics’ Sports Desk & The Olympic Zone
    - Weir & Lipinski Will Also Serve as Figure Skating Analysts This Sunday at 4 pm ET on NBC’s Skate Canada Coverage

Tripping on the Podium
    After the Grand Prix events, I find Tara okay, but I'm not crazy about Johnny. I'd still rather have commentating veterans though for the Olympics. It just doesn't feel right listening to newcomers at the biggest event.

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA CaroLiza_fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    Do many of you watch the local TV broadcast´s?

I don't know, besides the BBC that did a wonderful job at London 2012 (about 24 live channels for every type of competition) - I usually end up at the internet and the official streaming without commentary as I can choose what to watch there, like at the BBC during London 2012.

If I would watch our local TV stations then I have tons of interviews and replays, but almost no live action besides Biathlon or Skiing. Stuff like the female hockey tournament would never appear in our local TV Channels, just like Figure Skating (yes! Can you believe that?)

So I really hope that they still offer the Streams in the internet at Sochi, else I will be pretty much lost and need to join you at the CBC broadcast, if they offer streaming again like at worlds this year.
    The BBC actually made an announcement a few days ago about what they are planning for Sochi.

Here is the official announcement:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...pics_2014.html

And here is the story on the BBC Sport website:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-olympics/25213838

It's not quite the 24 streams they had for the 2012 Summer games, but given that the BBC don't normally cover Wintersports, I am impressed that they are having 6 livestreams. After all, they could have just cut it all down and tried to squeeze everything into the regular channels (like they do with most other sports events they show!)

Mind you, if Eurosport are showing the coverage in full, I think I will stick with them for the sports I normally watch. I prefer their commentators to the BBC's!

When it comes to the BBC's figure skating team, I like Sue Barker (for a tennis player, she sure knows a lot about figure skating!), but I am not keen on Robin Cousins. On the other hand, I love Eurosport's team of Simon, Chris and Nicky.

As for the ski jumping, I am confused as to why the BBC will be using Patrick Winterton for their coverage of the Nordic skiing, when he is the regular commentator on Eurosport...

But, I suppose Eurosport have David Goldstrom and Mike Dixon, so they can let the BBC borrow an experienced commentator like Patrick for a few weeks!

At the end of the day, I guess we will only find out when the Games start which network will provide the best coverage. But, if their coverage is full enough, I reckon it'll be Eurosport!

After all, Eurosport covers Wintersports every year! The BBC is only interested every 4 years...

CaroLiza_fan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast